Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doctor says I am a perfect candidate for lap band. I am to have a sleep study soon. At 44 and already having had 2 heart stents inserted, and 2 parents dying prematurely of heart disease, I feel I need to do something. I need to know.... Is the surgery worth it?

I worked in surgery for many years and have assisted Dr. James Kane in the North West suburbs of Chicago during quite a few of the primitive Gastric Bypass surgeries that were quite invasive. His son James Jr. is now on the forefront of this field and the innovative lap band. I have read much and my Primary Care Physician has nothing but praise for father/son partnership. I will make an appointment with them after the sleep study. I have not worked in surgery for more than 13 years.

I will navigate this site frequently in the coming days. If anyone can give me assurance that this is the way to go, please encourage me. I am a food addict too. I am not the typical Lap Band Patient as I carry my weight quite well , and need to loose approximately 60-70 pounds only. Still a challenge and my weight just keeps increasing.

Well, that is my introduction to this web site. One more point... Does your family fare better after you have the surgery. By that I mean do they get healthier too as a by product of you being more healthy, cooking healthier, being more active and increased (hopefully) self esteem? Thanks for your responses. As my name says I want to lose so that I may have life. I do not want to leave my kids motherless. Best to all of you- loseforlife

Hi losefor life, I can relate to your physical condition. My BMI was only 32 when I was banded, but I had a lot of the other conditions. I had high blood pressure, high blood choloestrol and type 2 diabetes. I got immediate insurance approval (BCBS). The proceedure was a breeze but the waiting for it was long and the waiting afterward for the fills to kick in was tough. I was banded June 23 and I didn't lose any weight until just this last month (6 lbs). When you don't have a lot to lose like you it takes longer and LOTS of patience. I think it is good for your family because it aleviates you and them of the constant worry that something bad could happen to you. This is something that you can control when it seemed for so long that you couldn't control the weight gain no matter how hard you tried. I am not sorry at all that I did this. Good luck to you!!!