Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

weight loss pre op on liquid diet

I have been on liquid diet since monday morning and the scales have moved 8 pounds. I keep seeming to think my scale is off lol.... Did anyone have this sort of weight loss doing liquid diet? Im assuming most of it would be Water weight as I have been drinking a ton of water too. I am so nervous that the docs scale will weight heavier and since im borderline bmi to do the outpatient surgery, im really nervous. Also i have one liver enzyme always come back slightly higher at just above normal, but no one can find any cause behind it and im scared that might move my surgery date too. Im getting really nervous that the date is approaching fast. Tomorrow is my last day of work. Any advice or comments are appreciated

I lost 23 lbs on my 10 day pre op liquid diet. If I had had any energy, I would have been trying some exercise to increase that amount. Word of warning though, depending on how long you liquid diet is, be careful. By day 5 I was getting pretty dizzy. By day 8 or 9, it wasn't too bad. But those were some bad days.

I was just banded on 9/8, during my pre-op diet, I went from 322lbs to 297lbs. It is totally possible. That just shows how much we were regularly consuming and how much our body is actually capable of burning if we give it a chance.

I am on day 6 of my clear liquid and I have currently lost 15 lbs !!!! I am very excited !!!! Day 4-5 was horrible !!! I was horrible. I had to lock myself in the bedroom away from husband and kids..... I didn't want to put my misery on them !

I was on the preop liquid diet for 3 weeks. It was supposed to be two, but I caught a cold and my surgery was bumped, but only a week, so it wasn't enough time to stop and restart, so I just stayed on it an extra week. They did let me have a small amount of lean Protein up until 4 days before surgery. I used unbreaded chicken tenders and hard boiled eggs for this. I lost 25 pounds by surgery. My starting BMI was about 38, but I had just about every co-mordbidity except diabetes. My liver enzymes were elevated on my cholesterol tests, but the surgeon said it could be due to a fatty liver instead of meds. My liver looked pretty good in surgery, and my recent followup bloodword still had elevated enzymes, but my numbers were great (total 142, triglycerdes 53, HDL 65) so she stopped both my cholesterol meds and I recheck in 6 months. I was also able to stop one BP med and my reflux med. I may lose the other BP med later on. If you aren't on cholesterol medicine, you might want to ask the surgeon if he thinks it means you have a fatty liver. The preop diet will help that, and shrink your liver to make surgery easier. Good luck with your journey.

I lost 32 pounds on my 5 1/2 week preop diet (not all liquid but only 1 lean meal a day) It slows down (of course) but it's a nice jumpstart!

Do insurance compies approve you first then you do the pre-op liquid diet?

I am curious, because if you lose enough weight during the pre-op liquid diet and it places you under 40 BMI will the insurance still pay for the surgery????

Do insurance compies approve you first then you do the pre-op liquid diet?

I am curious, because if you lose enough weight during the pre-op liquid diet and it places you under 40 BMI will the insurance still pay for the surgery????

I don't think they'll start you or register you for anything until they have the approval...I know I didn't get my information about the pre-op class until *after* approval...I'm just nervous about keeping the liquid diet..it sounds so hard to do..

TQUAD...the preop diet usually lasts a week or two (average). You won't do that until you are scheduled for surgery and THEY won't do that until insurance is approved. Some people have insurance that requires them to diet for 6 months prior...that is very different.

I was apporved to meet the surgeon and attend the Alta Bates required classes in Oakland, CA...But I was under the impression that I am not really approved yet for the surgery...Not sure how I came by that thought. ;-0

Each insurance has different requirements. But they won't put you on a preop diet until/unless there will be an operation following the diet...that' why it's PRE OP. A diet to fulfill insurance requirements isn't uncommon, but its not called "preop" and isn't (usually) liquid. You might want to clarify if you are actually approved for the whole thing so you'll know! :omg_smile:

Thank you...That makes sense and seems very fair.

Wow What type of Liquid are you using on your liquid diets I ahve to start mine in a few weeks.

the drink im on is called myoplex lite with carb control from GNC. its not that bad not great, today was a really bad day, I got really dizzy and got really sweaty, and was in a horrible mood!!. I have to admit this evening i had a tiny portion of Tomato and artichoke salad to try and get my shakes all over my body settled. I feel guilty, but i did eat very very small bites and chewed chewed chewed. i got tired of chewing and only ate about 1/4 cup. back to myoplex tomorrow. :)

heather.vasquez...don't buy a bunch of shakes until you get your diet from your surgeon. They ALL have a different preop diet! for example, I was told specifically NOT to buy the EAS Myoplex, but instead the EAS Carb Control AdvantEDGE! LOL It is all up to your surgeon and they all put their own personal spin on things. Hang in there...it will go fast!