Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

can't tell I've had surgery

I had the surgery over a month ago. Unfortunately, there's no fill in the band with no appointment until Sept. 25 (their office is busy). I have absolutely no restriction at this point. I can't tell that I've had surgery and find myself forgetting all the time. I have just the scars on my belly to remind me, because I'm now at the point where I can eat the same amounts of food I did before. My food choices are beginning to get worse and I feel out of control.

Can anyone offer me any advice? Please tell me this is normal.

Well it certainly was the same for me. I only had to wait 7 weeks till my first fill. I was lucky I didn't gain. I could eat pretty much anything after one month before that I was restricted by the doctors diet plan 3 weeks liquid one week mushies. Even after the first fill I felt restriction but it was only for about a week then I could eat anything again. I will say that I had more head hunger and boredom eating than actual stomach hunger. Now is the time to watch what type of hunger you are having. I can be fine not hungry but still think I need to eat, head hunger is a major problem of mine. Hopefully after your first fill you will feel a little different, it may not last but you can always get another fill.

From what I've read, that's normal. I feel like I could eat anything but haven't because I'm just in week two but I'm hungry, no nausea, etc. Until we start getting fills, most of us will feel exactly like you do (a few rare people aren't hungry with just the band but they are in a small minority I think!) I agree it's a LONG time till your fill; my doc is doing my 1st one at 6 weeks and I am excited about it. Hang in there...it may take several fills to really feel restricted.

This is normal. As you slowly lose weight the fat around your band in your stomach also goes away to making the band less restrictive.

I'm right with you! I have zero restriction. I was starting to gain weight but decided to use my will power until I get those fills, however, I'm hanging on by a thread, my will power hasn't been that strong in the past.

I've had one fill, it did NOTHING for me. I am trying not to eat what I could before but there have been a few times I have and yes I can eat what I did before. The only difference for me is mental, I feel that once I reach restriction it will be easy and I do not want to regain a single pound I lost after surgery, that would depress and discourage me. I had a few days of eating bad food choices when we were traveling.

A few weeks ago I regrouped, joined a few weight loss challenges on this board, and am using my body bugg to keep me in line. (BTW my body bugg is the ONLY reason I have not gained weight and am loosing any weight at all.) I have my next fill scheduled for September 18th! I am hoping it will help. My Surgeon told me it takes an average of 3 fills but that it is individual.

Don't give up! I think they call this bandster Hell for a good reason, we'll get through it.

I'm finding that by eating Protein, I'm really not hungry and I am in no way eating the amount I use to eat. I am at the 20 lb weight loss mark from the pre-op diet to now on pureed. I have my first fill scheduled for September 29th and I was thinking 4 weeks after surgery was too early. Once again, everyone's body reacts differently. What works for you may not work for me and the other way around. Find what works for you and I'm sure you'll be fine. This whole weight loss thing takes time, let's not rush it. Enjoy the ride.

I'm a lapband patient that works for a bariatric surgeon and one thing that I've learned since working here is that a lot of the time the doctor wants to give you time to fully heal after surgery before doing the first fill. Try to keep in mind that you have had surgery and your body needs to heal, just try to make healthy food decisions.