Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

rheumatoid/degnerative arthritis sufferers... did lap band help your pain?

I have RA almost everywhere and also some degenerative arththritis in my left ankle. The left ankle is the bane of my existence but I do hurt in other places too. I know my hands/arms may not feel better with weight loss but I would think my lower body would? My back hurts pretty often too and there may be sme arthritis there, not sure though.

Hubby is talking to me seriously about the band, and asking some really good questions but he said he is afraid I could lose it all and still hurt and he said he knows that will be very hard on me emotionally (he's right, I'm at the end of my rope with the pain and hoping lap band can "fix" it). Please share your experiences...

I have degenerative arhtritis also. I had my surgery on May 15th this year and have lost 46 lbs so far. It has already started to help some, however, if I stand for a long period of time or do a lot of walking I am still in pain. My arthritis is mainly in my knees but it is spreading all over my body. My dr told me that it would not cure the arthritis but it would definately help by getting the weight off. So I would say yes that the surgery was worth it cause I can already tell a difference. Getting the weight off definately is better for the pain of the arthritis . I hope this helps you with your decision in making the choice of having surgery.

Thanks, Kay Oswalt

I have RA almost everywhere and also some degenerative arththritis in my left ankle. The left ankle is the bane of my existence but I do hurt in other places too. I know my hands/arms may not feel better with weight loss but I would think my lower body would? My back hurts pretty often too and there may be sme arthritis there, not sure though.

Hubby is talking to me seriously about the band, and asking some really good questions but he said he is afraid I could lose it all and still hurt and he said he knows that will be very hard on me emotionally (he's right, I'm at the end of my rope with the pain and hoping lap band can "fix" it). Please share your experiences...

Leighann,

I have Ankylosing spondylitis which is a type of Arthritis and honestly I have notice a decrease in pain in my knees but thats it (Which is wonderful). but my back pain unfortunatly has increased since I have lost some weight which my doctor told me could happen. My arthritis is in my spine, neck, pevic area, hips, and Knees. You really should speak with your RA doctor and ask these questions. They would probably have better answers for you.

But losing wieght is good for you either way. And I would not trade my band for anything.

good luck

I have osteoarthritis in my left hip and knee and have already noticed a difference with the little bit of weight that I've lost this year.

I hope that you get some relief.

Do you take arthritis meds? I do and they are HUGE. Are your meds smaller or do you break them up? I appreciate any information you can give me.

Do you take arthritis meds? I do and they are HUGE. Are your meds smaller or do you break them up? I appreciate any information you can give me.

I have SEVERE osteo-arthritis in my knees and was taking prescription meds for the pain and inflamation for years prior to my lapband. This did give me relief. I also had to take a med to protect my stomach.

The thing is that after with the lapband, you are no longer allowed to take anything except tylenol, no anti- inflamatories (otc- not even motrin, advil or alieve! or prescribed by DR). The band erodes faster than your stomach lining and it just is not a good idea, even with meds to protect your stomach. I had relief when I first lost weight but now I am back in pain. Dr thinks that the meds were still in my system and that is why. I still know that my weight has a huge effect on my pain. Dr says the same thing- he told me that every 1lb of weight is 4lbs of stress on knees. This means I have lost almost 200lbs of stress on my knees! I am starting a series of injections to see if that will help. I need a knee replacement but I am only 43 and Dr won't do it yet. They only last 15-20 yrs.

Good Luck to everyone!

I have SEVERE osteo-arthritis in my knees and was taking prescription meds for the pain and inflamation for years prior to my lapband. This did give me relief. I also had to take a med to protect my stomach.

The thing is that after with the lapband, you are no longer allowed to take anything except tylenol, no anti- inflamatories (otc- not even motrin, advil or alieve! or prescribed by DR). The band erodes faster than your stomach lining and it just is not a good idea, even with meds to protect your stomach. I had relief when I first lost weight but now I am back in pain. Dr thinks that the meds were still in my system and that is why. I still know that my weight has a huge effect on my pain. Dr says the same thing- he told me that every 1lb of weight is 4lbs of stress on knees. This means I have lost almost 200lbs of stress on my knees! I am starting a series of injections to see if that will help. I need a knee replacement but I am only 43 and Dr won't do it yet. They only last 15-20 yrs.

Good Luck to everyone!

I take shots in each knee about every 3-4 months. I'm 58 and they are still trying to wait until after I turn 60 to do any knee replacement. They haven't said anything about my meds yet. I'm glad you replied. Thanks for the info!

I take shots in each knee about every 3-4 months. I'm 58 and they are still trying to wait until after I turn 60 to do any knee replacement. They haven't said anything about my meds yet. I'm glad you replied. Thanks for the info!

You are very welcome. Do the shots help you? I am praying they will for me. Best of luck with everything and let me know what they say about your oral meds:smile2:

The shots are a miracle the first couple months. You won't believe how much better you feel just leaving the DRs office after your shots. I usually limp in and feel like dancing out...well almost!

I just found out that I have arthritis in my lower back and I think it has gotten worse since I have lost weight. I assume that I had it before though eventhough I never knew about it.

The shots are a miracle the first couple months. You won't believe how much better you feel just leaving the DRs office after your shots. I usually limp in and feel like dancing out...well almost!

Please tell me more about these shots - is it the synivisc stuff? (not sure of the real word). My knee is killing me and I'm in the same position as you - not much can be done until I'm old enough or in such severe pain that a knee replacement will be done.