Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

craving coffee...i'm gonna die!

I havetype II diabetes, and I've been banded for about 6 weeks. I have asked my doctor a couple of times.

He said the coffee questions were started when banding was young, and he has never seen a problem. I was drinking coffee from day 2.

My surgeon doesn't like coffee either. He says it is an appetite stimulant. That being said, I drink coffee all the time. I didn't for the first week after banding, but I have since then. It doesn't stimulate my appetite. I have been drinking it since I was 2 yrs old, so maybe I'm immune to its effects. Heck, I would walk around with a caffeine IV if I could. :)

Call your surgeon and ask WHY they say no coffee.

I was never a coffee person, love the smell hate the taste.

Now Diet Mt Dew was for me, I drank 2 two liter bottles a day thats tons of caffein. I have been so happy I quit the day befor my band and have not had caffein in almost a month and feel so much better and I thank God I dont crave it :)

I say hang in there and try to quit coffee, Water is so much better and its free.

So this is one area where I may not be able to follow my surgeons orders. I talked about it with my psychologist and she said she did not see why I should not be able to have coffee after surgery. (I know she is not a nutritionist and probably does not have any business giving advice in this area.) I only drink one 12-16oz cup a day which is not a lot, however if I don't have it I get a terrible Migraine by about 10am. I know that is some kind of addiction, so I will stay away from coffee as long as I am on the pain med. and I don't get a headache, but after I don't need pain med anymore all bets are off for the coffee.

My doctor has never said anything about coffee or any other kind of caffeine. As a matter of fact, coffee was one of the only things I could get down the first couple days after surgery. I drank it all day. I drink coffee and tea now. No soda, but that's mostly b/c of the carbonation. I would say drink it and feel better before you go crazy!!

i have a cup or 2 of coffee every AM - if not it's ice tea (not the sweet kind..LOL). both were on my post op liquid diet......i gave up my diet coke & diet mt dew..., if i couldn't have some caffeine - i might hurt someone:tongue:

I like my caffeine carbonated . . . and was told no carbonated beverages after surgery. I call it "insubordination" or refusal to follow the rules:mad2:.

I started with sips of diet coke or diet pepsi . . . worked my way up to those cute little shorty cans (8 oz.) :) and now I am able to tolerate a 20 oz. bottle once a day.

I think we are all different and each of can handle things that others of us cannot. I agree that all of our doctors vary so much in their instructions to patients.

I was not about to give up my carbonated caffeine and therefore I did not. I don't abuse it . . . but I am able to enjoy my caffeine when I desire to.

I have only drank Decaf tea and coffee for several years now. On the odd occasion that I drink normal coffee (in meetings), I can certainly feel its effects, so have no doubts about these.

If the issue is the caffeine, why not just try decaf coffee?

The more I talk to people on this boards, the more I realize that my surgeon must be exceptionally cautious. Both caffeine and alcohol are on his "never again" list. I gave up my 5-7 cup of coffee per day habit about two months before surgery, and now four weeks past surgery I still haven't had any. I also haven't had a drink of alcohol since the second week of August. Having said that, I don't anticipate being a tee-totaller on either caffeine or alcohol. I won't be drinking either in excess, but I can't accept that I can never have these things again.

Having said this, the one thing that is nice is not feeling like I have to have coffee first thing in the morning. It's nice to know that I can survive without it, which I didn't necessarily feel was the case before I gave up caffeine.

I've learned with this process, whenever I hear "NEVER" I always ask WHY?

Their reason may or may not be valid. And never is a LOOOONG time! :biggrin:

I have been drinking coffee since day 1 - Ice Tea too (just not with meals) - My doc didn't have any caffine restrictions (if he did - I would have just boohoo'd them an drank it anyway - makes no sense to me - things have to be logical for me) - and as far as drinking liquor - no problem - 1 glass of wine is good for you (per my doc)- it's when you drink the whole bottle that it becomes a problem - Just like 1 slice of cake isn't going to make you fat - but eating the whole darn thing will.

It's all about moderation !!!!

Were we not supposed to have coffee? Oopsie :-)

I have coffee and tea about twice a month as a treat and I'm still alive. :biggrin:

(I've heard that caffene is okay 3 months post op.)

That was the only thing I did not do. I had my coffee all the way through the process - except for the first few days after the surgery. I did have a caffeine withdrawal though... I was pretty bitchy. I don't drink as much now though. You do become lots more sensitive to the effects of the caffeine afterwards.

Hang in there!

Barbara