Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can't get over this hump

I'm so frustrated I could scream. It's been almost 4 weeks now and I'm down between 2 and 3 pounds depending on the day. I'm doing everything right and it's not working. I'm not overeating, I'm not making bad food choices. Yes I'm thrilled to be down as much as I am, but I hoped at this point I'd be down at least 10-15 more than I am. My one cheat has been yesterday we went to Rainforest Cafe to Celebrate some birthdays. I had fish and chips and ate less than a third of it, maybe 4 tortilla chips with queso, plus a itty bitty portion of brownie and ice cream (maybe 5 tiny bites). My Breakfast and my dinner were each about 150 calories of almost pure Protein to allow for my overindulgence at lunch so I came out fine on my daily totals, yet today, that flucuating pound is back. Even after going through all I have to get help, I'm failing. It makes no sense at all. I've gotten used to the 20-something pounds being gone and lost that feeling of being smaller and I just feel like a cow again. I guess after getting adjusted thursday it will be better, but honestly I don't see how I could eat much less than I am right now.

Sweetie, you are not even a month post-op. This is the time fondly spoken of as "Bandster Hell." It's not a time of weight-loss so much as it is a time of healing and letting the band "settle in". True, some people do enjoy a quick drop of as many as 20 pounds during the first week or two, but almost everyone either gains some or stays the same once they go back to soft, then solid foods.

I think what has helped me tremendously is having a sample meal plan to follow. (I'm starting my 2nd full week of soft foods after having been on liquids for 3 weeks post-op.) Suppers are 3 ounces of a soft, easily chewed meat or fish, plus 1/2 cup of vegetables; lunches are 1/2 cup of tuna, chicken, egg, or ham salad, or cottage cheese, with 6 crackers or 1/2 cup of peaches; breakfasts are a scrambled egg or 1/2 cup oatmeal, sf/ff yogurt, cream of wheat, or cold Cereal with 8 oz skim milk.

I get my first fill tomorrow, and I hope it's going to help me stay satisfied for a bit longer. Right now, I'm getting hungry about 2-3 hours after a meal - usually closer to 2 hours.

Just hang in there. It takes some time to get this new tool of ours to its ideal setting, but it will get there! You are not alone. :thumbup:

I wonder if you could be eating to little? I've heard people say that if they eat less than about 1000-1200 calories a day the weight loss stops.

I'd say try to add up your calories to make sure you're eating enough - and of course not too much either.

Make sure you get enough Protein and Water. Hang in there - you'll find the right things to eat to help you succeed!

Hi Lauralee,

Most of us know your pain...I have only lost a few pounds since being banded. Not until my third fill did the scale start to move again...and let me tell you I was frustrated and wondering what the hell was going on. I re evaluated my food, al though I was not cheating or eating too much I had to take fruit out of my diet because it causes me to simply not loss any weight. I have heard the same about dairy.. I suggest you not worry right now, heal your body and once you get a fill or 2 I am sure things will change. Focus on what you have already accomplished. You will get there...

Lana

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support. That stubborn pound that keeps going up and down is gone again today, maybe it will stay gone this time. I'm getting my fill thursday, I hope that will help. I'm happy with the amount I can eat at one time, but I'm getting hungry too soon after, maybe that's my problem. Staying at an average of 1100 calories or so though, so who knows. Is that too low? I thought that was high enough to not trigger that starvation response, but maybe it isn't.

I thought of a good way to mark my progress, I was starting to gather up the clothes that are too big for me now to take to goodwill, but I decided to stack them on my dresser instead. Seeing the growing pile of things that fall off me now should give me some motivation. I'll take them to goodwill when the stack gets too big. I also have a hanger over my scale with the jeans I wore at my biggest and my goal jeans clipped on it together.

Edited by ShrinkyDink

i never heard of this bandster hell that you mention; very interesting. I didn't know this was the process; I fit right into this catigory. Thank you for this. Any suggestions as to where I might find more support with this issue?

AH- you sound just like I did. I was so ticked about a month or 2 after surgery bc I was doing it all. I was like screw this stupid thing TAKE IT OUT I was not losing a single lb........then finally I got the perfect fill ppl call it the "sweet spot" and now everytime I step on the scale Im lighter and lighter......your time too will come...be patient get your fills let your band heal and you will do GREAT!!!!!!!!

You need to be kinder to yourself and appreciate how much you have lost. The first six weeks is for healing and I would not worry! You are doing great! We have all been through the bandster hell! Try to weigh yourself only once a week. This will ease your stress and you will see the results better. Good Luck with your fill! Talk to your Dr about how you feel. Maybe he will be a little aggressive with your fill.

Well I'm down 2 pounds today! I should complain and stomp my feet more often! I hope it means things are kicking into gear, I'm ready for this train to get moving. Thanks for the support everybody, you all rock.

Well I'm down 2 pounds today! I should complain and stomp my feet more often! I hope it means things are kicking into gear, I'm ready for this train to get moving. Thanks for the support everybody, you all rock.

ROFL, how long did you stomp..can you calculate the calories burned? I may need to try that...:biggrin: