Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hold up due to night shifts!!!

:thumbup: has anyone had this problem, i am a reg nurse and i work 3 12 hour night shifts per week, my surgeon told me on our first consultation i would need to change to days, stating working nights and weight loss does not go together and to make the most of the band i would need to change to days, i didn't really take much notice thought that i would give it a shot and if i wasn't losing any weight i would try and change then, but now my surgery has been delayed due to this :( i was hoping for surgery mid september now looks like i'll have to wait till mid october (the waiting is killing me) i have to go and see him again to discuss the shifts, and don't even know if i can change my roster!!!

has anyone else been told anything remotely like this :tt2::mellow::w00t::cool2:

I have NEVER heard that.

I work evening shift (3-11) and my fiance works midnights (9p-6a). We were both banded on August 7th. Our surgeon knew this and never said a word. And we've both had success thus far.

I'm really don't understand why he would say such a thing. As long as you plan your meals and focus on eating the right things and the right amounts, it shouldn't matter when you eat them or what shift you work.

Best of luck.

get a new surgeon!! WTH??? He can't tell you what shift your job can have you one as a determinating factor..give me a break??? Maybe it is HIS opinion, but goodness.

I do know that it may be hard being on nites, but it isnt like we get to choose what shift we work.

You can do this if you want to...it is a personal choice, and you know what...the people who work days have the same issues to deal with as those who work nites....it is just light out....

Please......dont give up....keep fighting even if you have to look for a new surgeon...

Traci in Indiana

Tell that surgeon "you're fired"! If he's such a hard-ass he obviously things he's in control of the world. Be sure to tell him why you went with someone else too. I see no reason why what shift you work would make any difference. It's the same regardless of whether/where/when you work...failure to plan is planning to fail. So plan for 12 hours and tell him to hit the bricks! :thumbup:

WTH!? My husband isn't a nurse, but he works night shift and that doesn't make any sense to me. if you have the self control not to snack all night, you'd be fine.

That's Assinine! Find a new surgeon. You're a nurse, you know they aren't all created equal. What a bunch of pooey.

the unfortunate thing is i don't have the luxury of being able to change surgeons as he is the only one (small country NZ) says its something to do with the day night rythm (could never spell that word), it is depressing to think that this could screw up my chances of having it done :thumbup:

Will your hospital put you on days temporarily just to get the surgery? That's underhanded but, my gosh, he's an idiot. An educated idiot, but an idiot.

Lack of sleep contributes to weight gain, but working nights doesn't contribute to weight loss. Where's the proof? Where is he getting his data? From the gnome who lives in his closet? good grief.

thanks guys for your responses, its great knowing there is a place we all can go to vent that is supportive and understands where we are all coming from. I'll get over it, my roster is done till after the new year anyway so HE will just have to get over it.

restless, i'll have to wait to see him again on the 16th, guess i'm more disappointed that i won't be having it done this month and have to wait now till october, i was hoping to be a september samurai :thumbup:

good luck!!!! I can understand why he is saying this, but he should work with you not against you. I agree that maybe temporally getting on days would make it happen maybe???

I wish you luck, and I understand about the small town...

I would lie I work night shift to and I know when i tend to eat at work so i plan for it. I don't eat my dinner till im at work cause i know i will want to eat rather i have or haven't so i just wait till im at work so i have my dinner there. Then i get the satisfaction of eatting there without adding calories that i wouldn't have eaten anyway.

I'm so sorry for this setback. :mellow: The doctor does seem kind of controlling. But, what it comes down to is that you are aware you may have issues with your diet/band/working midnights... but then again, you probably won't.

It's a shame you don't have a lot of choice in surgeons. I guess you just need to stick to your guns and let him know midnights is the shift you work, and that is not going to change any time soon.

Good luck, hoping you are able to set a surgery date soon :thumbup:

julie