Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone cheat after fills?

I am supposed to be on 2 days of liquids and 2 days of mushies after a fill. But even with my Protein Shakes I just can't do only liquid anymore.

It leaves me too lightheaded and naseaus. So I cheat by adding Peanut Butter and sometimes low fat ice cream so I don't pass out.

I also don't exactly follow the time frame because I feel fine the next day. (I have had about 7 fills now including one complete unfill for a week). So usually by day 3 I am eating almost normally.

I haven't had any problems with this so far and I know I should follow the directions, but I just CAN'T - it kills me! I can't function without food!

Does anyone else have restrictions like this, and if so do you ever bend the rules?

All doctors are different. You'll find some say do liquids the day of the fill, and then eat as before. Mine wants me on liquids for 5 days, then 3 days creamy liquids with mushies. I made it 3 days. At that point I was starving. They all have their reasons. Main point, eat as tolerated! If you can't do anything but liquids for a few days, so then do liquids. If you having troubles with more solid food, resort back to mushies. If you can't get Water down, get an unfill. We need to listen to our body and respond to what it is tolerating and NOT force down what it isn't ready to handle.

Edited by IM_LORI
incorrect info

In this new lifestyle, there is no "cheating" anymore. You may make "poor choices", but you really shouldn't consider them cheating. It's a change in mindset that all of us have to learn. Cheating has such a "you've been bad" connotation and we want super-positive to go with our super-bands! :)

I have but I don't announce it because people that are good people tend to ride us the ones that are not so strong at times. Ugh!

My Surgeon told me that I don't need to be on any liquids after a fill and that I can resume my normal diet that same evening... So, that's not really cheating for me since my doc ok'd it...

That makes sense. I really tend to go with what I feel best with this band. So maybe I'm not even making bad choices - I'm just doing what my body tells me. And it is telling me I am going to pass out if I don't have more food!!!!!

And my ticker is broken right now, but I am doing great, so maybe I should stop feeling so guilty about any little thing I mess up on. :)

Thanks guys!

Tater

ok, ladies and gents lets remove negative words, like cheating, or bad from our vocabulary,, unless your married and going out with someone your not married to cheating should be band from this forum.

We are all different, we eat differently, gain and lose differently, this band works differently for each of us. Because we chose to modify how we follow the "guidelines" we were given does not make us Cheaters. So Stop using those types of words. You are making a recipe for your life, you are taking all the information you are recieiving and deciphering it, mixing it up and using what works for YOU. That is what this is all about. If one thing worked for all of us, trust me we wouldnt need the band, we would have only needed the one and only first diet pill or program that worked for the very first person that used it. RIGHT!!

Our Dr's are all giving us what they believe to be the best advice in their opinion and experience, for the most part, but we are not robots, we are taking charge of our lives with this band and need to experiment, which part of this will work for you. What works for me. I know I can tell you many of the things that have worked for me do not work for many of you, WHY? I couldnt tell you except to say, we are different, our mental approach is different, physical and emotional approach. We can all succeed though. Trust your own intelligent minds to guide you and make good choices with good information. YOU CAN DO IT. WE ALL CAN.

I was banded in March and have steadily lost since then, with no regrets, no problems, only 3 fills, none since May,, I have been away all summer with no Dr or support system but have been able to use my tools to keep losing, eat what I want and have no bad side affects, I do have friends that are not as fortunate as I am, they cant touch Pasta, I can, They cant eat bread, I can, But they are losing just in a different way, I have to be more careful, because I can eat whatever I want I have to really take care not to over do it.

What the Dr gives us is a set of guidelines,, from there just use common sense and you should be fine. Take into account any special medical conditions you may have also, and keep asking questions. Its like making a recipe, you keep trying new ingredients until you get it just right for you.

Good luck,, so far I have lost 49lbs, and still losing. Sugarbear

Yes I'm still losing weight - It seems to make no difference, which is why I always seem to justify it. Of course I had a really easy time after surgery too and they moved me to solid foods much more quickly than they told me they would.

sn0wgirl, I find that for me whether I am following a strict meal plan like the quidelines recommend or I am eating more according to my wishes, which is much healthier, smaller portions, just more variety I still am losing steadily. The more active I am the more I drop, in a week,,so mine seems to be more heavily driven by my physical level of activity, not necessarily in a gym.

When I home in Texas I use a gym, but while I have on the east coast for the summer in delaware and pennsylvania I have not worked out at all but am much more physically active with 6 grandkids, running to beach, more activities etc etc,, in texas I have no family or connections so I have to use the gym to have some outside form of exercise and my lose is a little slower there, steady though. I have actually been eating more while away and losing more, will be interesting to see what happens when I return to texas in 2 weeks.

I guess I don't cheat because of 2 reasons..

1) My docs orders are easy to follow he says 12-24 hours of liquid after a fill. He said if I feel comfortable eating at 12 hours go ahead.

2) I usually wait 24-36 hours to eat because I am paranoid with new fills that they are too tight lol. I am just right now.

I have had one fill and my Dr. advised liquids for two days. Well I made it about half a day and said to myself "I feel fine, I can eat". So I did. I was very careful, took tiny bites and I was fine. I am scheduled for another fill on Oct. 3, I actually feel it is tight enough right now..I may postpone that appointment, but I'll wait a couple of days before the appointment and see how I feel.

We all have to remember that the band is a VERY individual tool. As we see from the posts everyone reacts differently. I had my second fill and was told eat as tolerated, (went from 4.6 to 6)well I always was told before liquids for 24-48. Didn't do it this time and experienced my first PB. Not fun.

I am now doing liquids and mushies for a few days. Live and learn we are all different and so our, our doctors.

I agree that we don't CHEAT, we make poor food choices sometimes but life is never perfect and neither am I. I just make tommorrow a new day and try again.

My doctor recommends that you only drink liquids and eat soft foods the day of the fill.

After my first two fills I kind of ignored that advice because I felt fine and was able to eat normally. However, the last fill was really tight and I got sick after trying to eat just a little Soup. I think that if you feel ok and Water is going down fine, just take it slow and see if you can keep small amounts of food down. Don't overdo it or you will be truly miserable for awhile.

Everyone reacts to fills differently, and in my case I reacted differently from one fill to the next.