Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Olive Garden NOT accomadating!!

I am in TOTAL agreement with you. I have been banded now for 4 days and I will settle for ordering off the appetizer menu or taking leftovers home. No one needs to know that I'm banded.

I am not banded yet, but I wouldn't want every waiter or waitress to know I am banded just to get a cheaper price. I guess to each his own, but I think that is a rather personal piece of information.

I agree with most of you. I don't think it's up to the eating establishment to accommodate us because WE decided to have ELECTIVE surgery! Yes, in some (most) cases this surgery is saving our lives BUT it is still elective and we made the decision to do it.

I actually plan on just starting to carry a small ice chest with frozen cold packs in it for leftovers. Especially if we're in town (an hour away) running errands since I know we'll be eating out. I'll just be bringing leftovers home and between the 3 of us, someone will eat it!

And buffets will be a waste of money but I sure got my money's worth before banding! Not that we go very often. Only once or twice a year.

WOW. I'm glad my little outing created such great conversation.

This was only my second time out to eat since surgery. I hope that those of you who are embarrassed to show your card or ask for an accommodation will reconsider.

Yes, we technically elected to have this surgery, but I know that if I did not make this choice I would have died in my 50s. I do not see it as a choice. I view this as my life saver.

I know that I can just order a big meal and take a to-go box. However, I still feel like a restaurant limiting anyone's ability to order a smaller portion is just annoying. Surgery or not, any person should be able to order a smaller portion. Why is that a big deal??

I plan to keep asking for that kids menu, and depending on who I'm with, I'll surely pick of others' plates.

I still love OG, and will probably return. I was just disappointed in their refusal to work with me.

oh and it was the OG in Federal Way, Washington

Okay - what happened to "the customer is always right"? I think it is ridiculous that they wouldn't let you order what you want. I would definitely write to the company or a complaint on their website (Darden is the parent company of Olive Garden) and let them know. You are a patron of their restaurant. You can easily take your business elsewhere - in this economy especially I don't think anyone in a restaurant should tell you what you can and can't order.

Restaurants are in business to make money. The reason they have a kids menu is to accomodate families, so that a family of 4 can eat out at a reasonable price.

In reality most "normal" people cannot eat an entire restaurant portion, especially from the "chain" type restaurants. In my experience, this especially true in US.

I find the more upscale the restaurant, the smaller the portion. The great news is that I can now eat at upscale restaurants, and be satisfied with the smaller portions. I must say the quality of food is much better, when there is a "chef" in the kitchen, not highschool students making up stuff from mixes!

Our local chain "family" restaurants kids menu has a pepperoni pizza, macaroni and cheese, burger, a hot dog, and chicken fingers. You get fries or steamed veg (a brocoli, a couple of baby carrots and a bean or a cauliflower piece that are all overcooked). They all come with a drink and dessert. The food on a kids menu SUCKS. It is the bottom of the nutritional scale and full of fillers salt and sugar so it appeals to kids. I got to be this size from eating the above things. I would much rather eat off af a menu with greater selection and having different preperation methods for my food. I eat out with my kids 2-3 times a month and that has allways been our complaint as a family. To the point that they order off of t "grown up" menu and take home what is leftover, just like daddy does now LOL

I am in complete agreement here.

I spent several years directing programs for children and adults with mental retardation and autism. I have seen plenty of real disabilities. Because of this, when I weighed 450 pounds, I never claimed that I was disabled, and I certainly would not look at having a pouch as being a disability.

If I worked in a business that had clearly set guidelines, and someone felt there was an exception, I might try to make that exception. But if they came to me because they willingly made a choice to have a surgical proceedure in every way made them healthier, and then wanted to claim disability in order to get a cheaper meal, I would tell them to quit whining and get a life (preferably somewhere else).

I keep my card in case I get in an accident and have to be intubated. I will not ever pull it out as an excuse.

I agree with your post entirely Stevegoad!

It's seems to me folks are expecting a handout or to be an exception to normal policies. I see nothing wrong in asking (hey you would never know until you do) but to boycott the establishment altogether is a little childish IMHO.

I have 2 small children and after years of ordering chicken nuggets, pizza, or a hamburger; I certainly wouldn't lose sleep or threaten to write letters if they tell me no. :redface:

I must say I am shocked to read some of your responses. I feel this is a medical issue. I think these establishments should want to accomedate their customer's MEDICAL NEEDS. The reason the kid's meals are cheaper is because the portions are smaller so what is the difference if it's being consumed by an adult or a child? If someone is showing a card from their doctor just like a diabetic would, why not help them? I could see if the person wasn't showing the card to prove they had surgery, but wow! I guess they don't care about their customers returning. If a place wants my business, they should want to see me happy. I personally don't like most leftovers so it is a waste for me to take it home in most cases. It's not like the cook has to do anything special or anything...they just want more money. I don't think it's childish to choose not to eat there anymore. I feel like it's weight disrimination. They wouldn't be like that to any other person with a medical need. Sorry to those who don't agree!

I must say I am shocked to read some of your responses. I feel this is a medical issue. I think these establishments should want to accomedate their customer's MEDICAL NEEDS. The reason the kid's meals are cheaper is because the portions are smaller so what is the difference if it's being consumed by an adult or a child? If someone is showing a card from their doctor just like a diabetic would, why not help them? I could see if the person wasn't showing the card to prove they had surgery, but wow! I guess they don't care about their customers returning. If a place wants my business, they should want to see me happy. I personally don't like most leftovers so it is a waste for me to take it home in most cases. It's not like the cook has to do anything special or anything...they just want more money. I don't think it's childish to choose not to eat there anymore. I feel like it's weight disrimination. They wouldn't be like that to any other person with a medical need. Sorry to those who don't agree!

Kat, I tend to agree with you. (However, I do believe the food on most kids' menus are not very good). How many times do customers say something like "can I get that without the ---- and instead, get it with ---- instead?" Or, "can I substitute the ---- for the ----?" When substitutions are not mentioned on the menu, people ask all the time because they are on low-salt diets, or they just don't like the sauce because they are trying to cut down. It all boils down to the restaurants wanting more money. Are they going to toss out a person who only wants a cup of Soup and Water? Because that was me last night. And the answer is no. What if there are two people at the table and only one orders? Does it take more effort on the part of the restaurant to serve a kid's entree? No.

I can only understand this kind of action at a buffet....and here in Vegas, we have buffets all over the place. Even pre-banding, I could only eat one plateful of food with maybe salad and dessert, but I paid full price, where there were others who eat MANY plates of food. But that is understood and it's a buffet. So, yes, I agree. Restaurants want to stay in business and part of doing so is pleasing their customers. It's not like we are going to eat more than we are getting and paying for.

I guess we will disagee, Kat.

Serving you a child's plate is not a medical need. It is a choice. You will not die if they serve you a bigger plate. You will not go into cardiac arrest if you have to carry a box home. It is a choice.

Yes, I know well that it was a medical procedure. I don't think it is a life-or-death procedure, in that it certainly improves the chances of a long life, but doesn't promise it. Some people live a long life overweight (my mom is 75, and after 60 years of weight problems had lap band 2 years ago) while others do not, even without weight issues (my dad, on the other hand who had no major weight problems died at age 43 of a heart attack). As risks go, I should have died before age 48, and yet I waited until 48 to have the surgery, and when I chose to, I am showing all signs of being a very healthy man who is twice the normal weight. Weight is a factor, but not a guarentee.

Our weight, however, is not Olive Garden's problem. I don't know why they don't want to let you use the kid's menu, but they have no legal responsibility to do so. They don't have to worry if you can't eat a full plate, or why you can't, and they certainly don't have to worry about whether you like left-overs. They only have to make food, and hope you like it (Note that I am glad that there is a much better Italian restaurant close by so I don't have to go to Olive Garden anyway)

But you make the choice to ask... they make the choice whether to serve you what you ask... you make the choice to go back. End of story.

Restaurants are in business to make money. The reason they have a kids menu is to accomodate families, so that a family of 4 can eat out at a reasonable price.

In reality most "normal" people cannot eat an entire restaurant portion, especially from the "chain" type restaurants. In my experience, this especially true in US.

I find the more upscale the restaurant, the smaller the portion. The great news is that I can now eat at upscale restaurants, and be satisfied with the smaller portions. I must say the quality of food is much better, when there is a "chef" in the kitchen, not highschool students making up stuff from mixes!

exactly what I was thinking...Had to read through 4 pages to find someone who thinks the way I do...In addition Waistaff work on tips...(which is figured on a percentage of the bill) If a group of bandsters go out to eat and all order off the Children's menu, the waitress works just as hard to please the table and makes less than 1/2 the money she would make on a table of paying adults...So She then suffers for our "Disability" Fair??? I think not!!

exactly what I was thinking...Had to read through 4 pages to find someone who thinks the way I do...In addition Waistaff work on tips...(which is figured on a percentage of the bill) If a group of bandsters go out to eat and all order off the Children's menu, the waitress works just as hard to please the table and makes less than 1/2 the money she would make on a table of paying adults...So She then suffers for our "Disability" Fair??? I think not!!

but what if a table of 10 bandsters orders a cup of Soup each at $2.99, or even a bowl at $5.99, which are both legitimate entrees...or even one appetizer at $10 each to share between 2 people? Same amount of money spent on a table of adults. Then what?

I don't get it...........if a restaurant serves portions that are too large and you don't like leftovers, go to a restaurant that serves smaller portions.

Why does it matter if you are "banded" or not?

Isnt common sense the same for bandsters and the non-banded?

but what if a table of 10 bandsters orders a cup of Soup each at $2.99, or even a bowl at $5.99, which are both legitimate entrees...or even one appetizer at $10 each to share between 2 people? Same amount of money spent on a table of adults. Then what?

Then I guess the waitstaff has to deal with that...The menu offers those items, so they are fair game...But if the menu states "for children under 12" or even simply "Children's menu" Then that is exactly who those items are intended for.

I understand that there is no legal obligation to accomodate customers for any reason. They own the business and can make just about any rule they want, however, if money is their concern, I think it would be in their best interest in the long run to make their customers happy. If they don't then they run the risk of people not returning or telling their friends etc. It's not an unreasonable request if you ask me. I often share an entree with my daughter so they will lose money on that and that's not a problem for them. I know it is not their problem if someone got banded or if one has a heart problem for that matter, but when they chose not to accomodate their customers then they risk losing business. Obviously everyone has very different opinions on this matter as with many other topics. Oh and for the most part I don't find much on the kid's menu that is appealing either but I still think I should be able to chose if I want.