Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hyperemesis gravidarum

UGH! I have hyperemesis gravidarum. For those that don't know it's a condition of pregnancy with excessive vomiting and nausea.

I'm 17 wks now and last night was my second time in the ER getting IV fluids because I'm so dehydrated. The thing that sucks is that everytime I throw up, which is as many as 15 times a day, I have to worry if my band is going to slip. Actually I think it's hanging in there pretty tough. But the only way to confirm that is with x-ray which I refuse to do while pregnant.

I'm on acid reflux and anti-nausea medicine but nothing is working. food and liquids go down totally fine. I am completely unfilled and can get down most anything. It's keeping it down that is a problem. As soon as I put more than the tiniest amount of Fluid in my stomach everything comes up. Even if I wait hours to drink after eating.

UGH! I just really wanted to whine. It's exhausting and I've tried every morning sickness idea under the sun. Nothing is working. I know family and friends mean well when they are voicing their concerns about whether I'm taking care of myself but it just makes it worse. Doctors don't know why some women get it and there is no cure. It just eventually goes away. Sometimes it takes all the way until baby comes. Even saying that makes me cry.

Thanks for letting me whine.

You said you tried every anti-nausea idea.. but have you tried meds?

I have not had morning sickness, but my doc called me in 2 Rx for 'when you need them', but I'm thinking I may never need them!

One is a pill that dissolves on your tongue.

Yes first they gave me Phenergen which didn't work at all. I passed out for 18 hours and would wake up about every 3 to puke.

Now I'm on Zofran. It's not really doing anything either. I've gotten Zofran twice by IV while getting hydrated and notice no difference. They just upped my dosage so we'll see how that works but really I don't see why if it didn't work through IV at high dosage.

For most people Zofran is the miracle drug. I'm still waiting for the miracle!

I had that when I was pregnant. It's very, very, very hard on you, so please take it easy. Zofran didn't touch me, either. Hang in there!

I know everyone gives you advice when you are sick and pregnant.. I too threw up everyday for 7 months,, just something that helped me was watermelon and freezy pops.. you know the tubes of sugary liquid that freeze..

you may want to give it a try.. it was kinda solid but has a lot of liquid.. tricked my stomach.. oh and I used the sea sickness bands that u put around your wrists.. after meds and everything else they were the only thing that helped me..

good luck.. I know it sucks!!!

I believe Zofran is the dissolvable tablet they gave me.. they also gave me little pills that you swallow, I'll check the name if you're interested?

I'm starting my week 7 and still no signs of morning sickness, so I think I may be a lucky one!

This pregnancy has been morning sickness free for me as well. Thank goodness. Hope you're able to find some relief.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches