Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey Ladies I wanted to share my experience with having surgery this past Tuesday.

Monday 5pm drank 1 bottle of magnesium citrate

Stomach exploded all night long...:eek:

Woke up 5:30 am

Made it to the hospital around 7am - checked in.

Nurses called me back around 7:30. Stomach still bubbling:unsure:

I go to the preop area get an IV and wait. Made 3 trips to the bathroom since the IV.

Anastesilogist can to the room asked if I took a pregnancy test..

No.. The nurse forgot to give it to me.. :angry: So had to take the test wait another 30 mins for results.

Anyway they finally took me back to the O.R. around 11am.

The nurse puts on the compression garments on my legs and the ana..logist gives me some feel good.

We are in the O.R. laughing and having a good time.:lol:

Next thing I know. I am waking up in recovery. My first thought in my head was... what the F*ck have I done! :blink:

The pain was unberable!!!:eek: I wasn't expecting it to hurt so bad.

Anyway I had a nurse with who tried to rush me out of recovery. She woke me up saying "Ms. Speed the Dr. said you look fine, so you can go home." She kept on tapping me on the shoulder, and shaking me. :sneaky:

So I finally am able to mouth "I'm in pain" she gives me a dirty look because she doesn't want me to fall back asleep. So the Dr. comes and gives me some more pain meds:thumbup: and I fall back asleep.

Mean while laying in the bed in recovery I hear the nurse referr to me as her "problem patient":cursing::cursing::cursing:

So I politely called her over and said "I KNOW YOU ARE IN A HURRY TO GET ME OUT OF HERE" "BUT I AM NOT GOING ANYWHERE!!!" "I AM STAYING RIGHT HERE UNTIL I FEEL BETTER":thumbup:

She left my bedside and switch patients with another nurse.:thumbup: This nurse was great, she let me sleep until I felt like I could go home. This lady took me to the restroom, and helped me sit on the toilet. (I know TMI!) but my legs were shakey.:ohmy:

I finally felt good enough to leave the hospital around 3pm. I went home and slept all night. Not much pain while laying down. Just pain when I try to turn my torso. :biggrin:

I'm totally with you on the pushy nurses! Yesterday, I was banded and they had me sitting straight up in the bed when I finally woke up. Within 15 minutes, I was dressed and sitting up in a chair. And I wasn't allowed to doze off at all. I slept all evening last night. I feel a litle crampy today and have little appetite at all.

Good morning Ladies,

I am just getting started on my banding journey - have been approved by my primary care doc, have nutritionist and psych appts within the next 2 weeks. Hopefully after that, I'll get a date.

I'm 45, family history of diabetes, heart issues, and high blood pressure - makes me a good candidate, right? LOL

Can't wait to join the sistahood...good luck to all, and I'm glad to have found you!:lol:

Hi, I am looking forward to banding next month. I wondered who did your surgery? Or what hospital were you at where you felt the nurses were pushy? I will be operated on in Houston also.

Betsy

Hey,

What's up with all of you haven't been on this forum since we discuss secret crushes. Wow! Is all have to say to those pushy nurses and congratulations to the both of you. I was banded 8/4/08 and I'm at the end of my fourth week and will be getting my first fill 9/12/08. I can't wait for the fill because I've been bad when it comes to what I've been eating. Appetite is definitly back and in full effect. So I know after my surgery I was able to rest until I woke myself up and when I did she let me lay there a little longer. Once I got back to my orginal room I was asked if I was ready to start walking because they wanted me to walk so as to move some of that gas. Then after I walked the hall back and forth they wanted to test the band to see if I could swallow and how the liquid went through the band. That was neat because they stood me in front of this X-ray machine which showed my inside with the band and the liquid going through the band. That was fun. Then I sat down some more I think they wanted me to use the bathroom I told them I needed something to encourage that act. So they offered me a choice of liquid or popsicle. After I had my popsicle and use the bathroom I was good to go. I was still out of it when I left the clinic. But I was good. I could tell they didn't want me to stay to long. But they definitly made sure I was alright before discharging me. I was sent home with a prescription for a BIG bottle of (knock you out, feel no pain, go to sleep, you won't have an appetite) pain killer that lasted me for that first week. Is was the easiest 12lb that I ever lost because I was too out of it to eat anything. But you two take it easy and don't rush the healing process. Oh Yeah! Liquid Tylenol will probably become your best friend for the next couple of weeks.:lol:

I was banded on Wed. at the True Results Center in Houston's medical center. Dr. Spivak was my surgeon.

Well I am also going through True Results with a different doctor, but my banding will be at a different facility. I hope I have more sympathetic nurses. But I guess they've been through this so many times they pretty much know what your body can handle. Still, I don't intend to let them push me around.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations on being banded...but an even BIGGER congratulations for standing up for yourself at the hospital!:biggrin: