Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would someone please be my friend? I'm really nice.

Hi everyone,

I have a problem that is making me miserable and I would love to hear from anyone who is going through what I am or has experienced it! Here's the scoop: I am one week away from my initial consultation, my psych evaluation is complete, insurance is approved, primary doctor has given it a "thumbs up", and I am gaining weight like a crazy lady! Did this happen to any of you??? I don't know if its nerves or what, but I keep gaining more weight. I feel completely out of control and I can't wait to get the band to stop the insanity! Please tell me this is somewhat normal. I am not trying to do the "I won't ever be able to eat this again, so I will shove it all in now" thing, but yikes! Any thoughts? Prayers? Nice words? I could really use a friend:sad_smile::tt1:;):thumbup: (The smiley faces are fun and made me feel better for a second)

Hi Birdie, I am waiting to hear back from my insurance, I have completed all of my requirement, but I have been reading the post on this site, I am seeing how they eat, so I have been trying to cut back and start drinking the protien drinks. I have had thoughts that I better eat all I can now because soon i wont be able to eat very much, try eating from a small plate, and when you go out to eat share a plate with some one in your family, or get a to go plate and take the rest of your food home with you, eat it later or the next day. Drink lots of Water, even crystle light is good. Stay in there and dont get discouraged.

Your friend

Bradley18

I sent you a friend request.

I think what you are going through is probably nerves. The whole process can do that to you plus the anticipation and worries about the surgery and if you are like I was, the fear of failure. I gained weight but I got a case of what has recently been cleverly dubbed "The Last Supper Syndrome"

Try to start small in preparing for your pre-op diet, cut back slowly on carbs especially potato, rice, bread, Pasta, sugar etc. Work on cutting these out completely. Try to eat Protein, veggies and fruit in that order and try not to eat between meals. I wouldn't worry over it too much but trying to slow down now will make the pre-op diet a little less difficult. Come here for support as much as possilbe, we are a great bunch of folks and we understand what you are going through. ;) Just take it one day at a time and you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Birdie, I too have had "last supper syndrome", how ever. Since I have a very short time before I was told I was approved to starting my pre op diet (only two days) I really didn't gain that much ~2 lbs.

I ate half of a Large pizza and a HUGE piece of reeses cheesecake in like 40 mins, and I ate till I was uncomfortably full for both days, when I have been doing so well with my own pre op weight loss program. i think that it is just something you freak out about "OMG I will not get to eat this for how long?" and then you shovel it in.

Don't get too down on yourself though, because You have made this life changing desicion, and GOOD FOR YOU!! but as soon as you start your pre op diet, you stick to it!

Just think about how bad you would feel if your liver was too big to put your band in... and think about that every time you want that extra piece or slice or spoonful, thats what I have been doing.

Best of Luck

Hey Birdie,

I know EXACTLY what you're going thru. When I found out that I had the thumbs up for surgery and had to do the 6 month weight loss diet, I gained 15 lbs. I got up to 286 (2/28/08) and was beside myself. I definitely had "last meal syndrome" and wanted to eat everything that I would never be able to eat again.

It will get better! Once I saw the scale at 286 I had a reality check. I realized that this is the exact opposite of what I should do and what I wanted to do. I lost over 30 lbs before surgery (7/2/08) and I am now less than two months out of surgery and weigh 236. You can do this! I promise you it will get better. My thought process has changed completely regarding food. LOL Except for when I'm on my period! ;)

Good luck - and if you ever need any support or someone to just talk to feel free to send me a private message!

Hi Birdie!!!

You are not alone honey!! I wouldn't worry too much about what is happening. I think it is nerves. During my 6 month supervised diet (was required by my inursance), i kept gaining weight. My doctor did some blood work, and i was positive for diabetes. No wonder i couldn't lose!! From the time i had my first consultation with the surgeon until my preop visit, i had gained 40 pounds!! On my 2 week preop diet, i lost 15 pounds and have been losing ever since surgery!! So, you can do it. The band will help you. If we could do it on our own, we wouldn't need the band would we?? lol .. The band is a great tool if we use it the right way :cursing:

Welcome to this site. There are great people and great information on here. Keep us updated :huh2:

Talk to you soon

Julie

Everyone else's responses were great so I don't have much to add . . . only that you can still eat after banding. It is not the end of the road, only a new beginning. Don't think of it as "life as you have always known it will be drastically different." It is only like that during the early stage. You can do this . . . and a few months out when you have restriction, you will find that it is not so difficult.

I think just about everyone goes through what you are going through prior to surgery. I know I am going through it right now. I have been eating like there is no tomorrow since my paperwork was turned in. It took reading another post on here that finally made me stop. I don't want to wake up from surgery to find out that I didn't get my band because of my liver.

You are strong (you survived everything else to get here). You are almost there! Good Luck to you!:cursing:

Hi Birdie!

I've gone back and forth between 'I have to eat everything that I love...today' to 'I shouldn't eat crap because it'll just make "the after" that much further away'.

I've been watching the scales go down slowly since February (when I started this journey) and for the last two months they have stalled out.

I was beginning to get frustrated when I got my band-date!! Now I'm working on getting my cravings under control.....which is hard since I'm PMSing this week!! :cursing:

I start my pre-op diet tomorrow and I've changed my mind about tonights dinner about a dozen times today :huh2:

Know that you're not alone!! Gaining weight is what we've all done best before now!!

I have been approved but my surgery isn't until November. I know I start my pre-op diet towards the end of October. I haven't been dieting that's for sure but I haven't been scarfing everything down either. I think that the begining of Oct. I will start watching what I eat and cut back on carbs to prepare for preop diet. However, since I LOVE thanksgiving type foods and birthday is before my preop diet I will be having a thanksgiving meal early for my birthday meal. I don't care, I figure if I do good eating right before and have that one splurge before starting the preop diet it won't hurt that much. I do have a goal to lose 5-10lbs before my preop diet and I know I can do it, even with my thanksgiving meal.:thumbup: