Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Military Mom has a question...

Hi!

Sorry to invade your territory but I had a question. My 22 year old son is very overweight (the biggest I've seen him...probably about 240+ and 5' 9"). He is in active duty Army in year 3 and is still an E-2 since they refuse to promote him while he's overweight (he joined overweight but was physically fit so they allowed him in). He just returned from Kuwait and is even bigger than when he left. He has a "desk" job--he works with computers and satellite defense stuff.

Will the military pay for a lapband for active duty military? He is due to get out in Aug. 09 and his unit won't deploy (as of now) until Oct. or Nov. 09.

I am getting close to getting one (awaiting insurance) and just thought how wonderful it would be if he could get one while he's in as he will be in college when he gets out.

By the way, my other son has only been in for one year and is a PFC. I feel so bad for son #1...especially since he sacrificed for 15 months and didn't get a promotion.

Thanks so much! God Bless you all for your service to our country!

Proud Army Mom,

Anne

I can't say for sure, but I would guess that if your son meets the minimum qualifications Tricare has set for a LB applicant, then he should be approved. It doesn't sound like he is quite there yet though to me. A little shocking to hear someone say your not overweight enough to get care?!

I know there is a lot of tricare discussion on this forum, just search tricare and you sould find plenty of good info.

In my experience, I have never seen an active duty person get any sort of WLS because then it *may* affect your deployability but, he'd have to ask his PCM.

Thats a good point DEgirl. The surgery may influence his deployability, since his nutritional requirements post band will be somewhat unusual. I can't imagine trying to eat some of the things they put in a MRE (Meal Ready to Eat) with my band.

As an aside, if he has any medical complications due to his weight he may be able to tie it in to a service related disability when he eventually seperates from the Army.

If he is Active Duty, NO they will not do the lapband for him. But once he gets out, and if he retains tri care for awhile then yes, if he's quick he can get one before his insurance runs out. And hey, you are more then welcome here anytime, I started this thread, its for spouses sure, but also for anyone who has something to do with the military, be it children, parents, etc. We are all one big happy family and willing to support our brothers and sisters in BAND. Take care.

I wanted to join the Navy but since I have the lap band I can't. It is a medical disqualifier, so I dout the army will allow it since he is active duty. But good luck with your band!!

My husband is active duty Army and tried to get the LB as well after gaining over 100 lbs because of his PTSD meds and he was denied. We were told that as soon as his chapter goes through for him to put his the LB paperwork through and try to get it done then. Until then I got the LB a week ago while we're still in.

Chapter means the military discharges you for a standard you have not met. For your son, he could be chaptered out due to weight.

Amazingly, they haven't threatened to kick him out...but they did threaten to send him to Iraq when he was stationed in Kuwait. I guess the reason they haven't done anything is that he still does PT, etc...and maybe because he has a "desk" job. Who knows?

He only has another year, so I figure if they were going to do it, they already would have.

Thanks for helping me understand...

~~anne

My husband is getting chaptered ("medically 'unfit' for duty") for PTSD and not his weight, even though he's been flagged for 3 years for it - weight gain happened when he got on his PTSD meds 3 years ago. *lol* But we did hear that when we get chaptered we get to keep Tricare for a short amount of time and ifyou get a PCM to work fast enough and get the referrals in to the proper doctors, he could possibly get the lapband done before they cut the insurance off. So that's what we're aiming to do when we finally know when we're getting out.

As a wife of a retired soldier with severe PTSD, my heart goes out to you. It is hard life for us.

As a wife of a retired soldier with severe PTSD, my heart goes out to you. It is hard life for us.

Hell ya it is. And no one except us understands. My DH is 100% military disabled now, and will never be the same. I say all the time, I did my patriotic duty and gave my country my husband and was given back a broken down stranger. :mellow:

We can all stick together! :tongue2: