Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

?ctober ?dyssey 2008

Hello Everyone,

I had my surgery on Oct 14th and my first fill on Nov 25th Dr put in 4 cc. Feel a little restriction when eat food before I chew it enough, have to bring up because won't go down I am learning. Haven't lost any more weight than 23 lbs. But know my clothes are fitting looser. I go for my next fill Jan 6th. When he put my first fill used no freezing and could not find it had to go in 3 times had to take some xrays on the spot to make sure needle going in right spot. Going to put my own freezing on next time and know where it is now so should be a little better. Not sure if it is my diet or why not loosing more wt. I started doing the wii fit and the biggest loser video to get my metabolism going hope that helps. Glad to see that other people are doing better. Keep up the good work.

Not sure if it is my diet or why not loosing more wt. I started doing the wii fit and the biggest loser video to get my metabolism going hope that helps. Glad to see that other people are doing better. Keep up the good work.

Have you tried a food journal? I use the one on www.sparkpeople.com

I know it is the second most important tool I use!

Have you tried a food journal? I use the one on www.sparkpeople.com

I know it is the second most important tool I use!

I use Spark People as well. It really helps keep me on the straight and narrow food-wise. A friend of mine swears by The Daily Plate over at Livestrong.com.

I can't help but wonder if those of us giving ourselves a hard time about how "little" weight we've lost are being too hard on ourselves. They say a healthy weight loss is 1-2 pounds a week - even on the band. I've complained about my family having unrealistic expectations for my weight loss - it's not a bypass - weight isn't going to just drop off super fast. I wonder if I've set unrealistic expectations for myself as well?

I can't help but wonder if those of us giving ourselves a hard time about how "little" weight we've lost are being too hard on ourselves. They say a healthy weight loss is 1-2 pounds a week - even on the band. I've complained about my family having unrealistic expectations for my weight loss - it's not a bypass - weight isn't going to just drop off super fast. I wonder if I've set unrealistic expectations for myself as well?

I hope for 2 pounds a week. I have set up a spreadsheet to see where I will be if I lose 2 pounds a week. If I lose more that is great, but I aim for 2. During Thanksgiving week I only lost 1 lbs. That was okay. I would just rather do a little better.

Well Hello Pumpkins!

I had my surgery on the 9. Down 23 and feel like a lot of you guys. "Why haven't I lost more?." "I don't have enough restriction." "When will I get to my sweet spot?"

I had my second fill yesterday and am still thinking about food a lot more than than I think I should be. I really want to get back that wonderful feeling I had for about three weeks after surgery. I felt invincible where food was concerned. I could have cared less. I was able to make good choices without feeling this craving for some unknown food.I WANT THAT BACK! I had this procedure done and paid the money out of my own pocket because I saw the Band as a way of being able to have control over the obsession with food. Thinking about it all of the time. Using it for everything else as well as to nourish my body. I hoped it would let food be what it should be..nourishment not a band-aid for all that ails me.

Sorry to be venting and thanks for listening. I am so ready to have this thing work like it is supposed to. I guess I may be over anxious. This isn't bypass. It will take longer and that is one of the reasons I wanted it.

I will stop now. Again, Thanks.

LindaL

Oh, I just ate too much for supper. I worked pizza into my nutrition for the day. I am still under 1100 calories. It has been so long since I ate too much that I forgot about the chest pain that goes along with that. Just a little tonight, but I wish I still didn't remember it.....

I worked out 5 days this week so I did a half a workout to day (my 5th day). I am feeling pretty good. The scale said that I gain a little today. That doesn't really happen too often, but lost like 2.5 lbs the day before so I expected a small rebound. I do worry about gaining and what that would do to my psyche. So far so good. I eat when I am hungrey. I am not doing low carb, but I am not doing high carb either. I really watch it pretty close. If I start looking for food I ask myself if my stomach is empty...if I am hungry. If not I don't eat. I get about 800 calories a day with maybe 2 days a week getting up to 1000-1100 calories. I know it doesn't sound like much...but I am being very careful. Protien first for every meal. I am addicted to cottage cheese. I know soft food, but I love it. My favorite meals include:

1. my quick chicken salad (200 cal) and a side

2. 3 oz of turkey breast (I measure all my protein) 1/2c cottage cheese (4% - the good stuff) and 1/4 c peas. (350)

3. 2 Hebrew National 97% fat free hot dogs cut up and 3 tblsp. of Great Value Brand hot dog chili sauce. ( 150 calories total)

4. Egg Beaters are a staple for my breakfast. Usually 3/4cup of southwestern. (90 calories)

There are some of my favorites. I usually get 70-120 gms of Protein a day and 30-50 gms of carbs a day.

I just had my first fill this past Tuesday, 2.5 ccs. My doctor did the fill with no problem. Having your blood taken hurts worse. I had to be on Clear Liquids for two days, full liquids for two days, then mushies, fish for a couple of days. I don't think I feel any different than before I was banded, but I am afraid to push it. I don't want to slime, throw up, etc. My second fill is scheduled for January 13th. It seems the majority of the pumpkins are losing weight as my doctor said, 1-2 lbs a week. I don't have a local support group so it is nice to hear from each of you. Do any of you get to eat salad or red meat yet?

I am really some feedback here. I was badned Oct 24 and the only weight I have lost was on the pre-op. I had a fill Nov 25 and still havn't lost anything. As far as restriction, I really have to chew my food and eat slowly or it will get stuck. As far as hunger - I am still VERY hungry. I thought that the band was supposed to help this a bit and keep you fuller longer. I still need to eat every 2 hrs early in the day (from around 9 - 3pm). I was like this before too, always ate more earlier in the day. My concern is how much tighter do I need to be before any weight starts to come off?

Also, I was not told to count calories and keep track of all my food intake. Am I missing a vital part of program here?

(This is kinda long. If you are just starting a meal that might the perfect time to read this because it might take about 30 minutes to get through it! :thumbup:)

TJ ,

I'm sorry you've had such a hard time. I know everyone is different so please take my questions and suggestions with that in mind. I too am a early day eater. I used to not be. I used to be a night-time eater. The band seems to be tighter or work better in the evening for me.

1. The second most useful tool for me is keep VERY CLOSE track of what I eat on www.sparkpeople.com That is about all I do on there because I have this great support system here so I don't use it for that. This may even be my #1 most useful tool at this point until I reach my sweet spot. It helps me to make smart decisions. Remember the band is just a tool. It won't keep you from putting things in your mouth that will cause you to gain weight. Until we can all get out of bandster hell and get to that much talked about sweet spot. Many I have talked to can eat anything they want...just in bandster portions.

2. No potatoes, rice, Pasta or bread. :smile2: I say none, but I do have an occasional piece of thin crust pizza. I went without anything that resembled any other these for a month. I got these carbs out of my system. Oh, I still eat carbs. Don't get me wrong. I eat plenty of carbs. No Atkins diet for me. But they have to be carbs with purpose. Veggies or fruits. I look at potates now, even mashed potatoes and think...nope, so not worth it!

3. This is also a BIG ONE. Anytime I look for something to eat I stop and ask myself "Am I hungry?" :bored:I know sometimes it sounds like a stupid question. Sometimes I say "Yes!" Most of the time I say no. Sometimes I have to stop, be still and really listen to my body. There have been times that I had that head hunger so bad I said Yes I am hungry and then stopped, put everything out of my mind and asked myself again. I wasn't physcially hungry. I don't know why I never got this before when I would diet or even not diet but just eat. There are times I think something looks great and I find myself thinking "I wish I was hungry so I could eat it!" How weird is that? You might really be hungry...but give it a chance. My doctor told me to do this on my phone consult and I think it has saved my bacon (no pun intended) quite a few times.

4. I try to plan my meals. I can't plan them out week in advance. I really can't plan them out 24 hours in advance because I don't know what I'll be in the mood for. I plan my meal a meal in advance. Especially supper because I want to keep within my calories for the day. I put in into Sparkpeople when I decide what to eat. That way I have the chance to change my mind if I've made a bad decision.

5. I am pretty happy with how I've lost, but sometimes it is pure will power at this point. Just this week I was on the eliptial at the gym and I wanted to quit and go home. I was tired, stressed out and had a million things to do. I literally had some very strong words with myself. Don't get me wrong I said them in my head. Everyone alread thinks I'm fruitcake without arguing with myself in the middle of the gym. :tt1: I really had to say, "You want to quit? Go ahead. No one is making you stay. No one is going to do this for you either. Do you want to hit wonderland in April or June or do you want to wait for 2010? Stop right now and go home if that is the most important thing for you right now. But if you really want to surprise your family and inspire them to get the lapband then you are going to have to stop wining and keep going. It is only 15 more minutes. Can you really not spare 15 minutes today to get healthy?"

6. I have committed to hitting the gym 3 times a week for 30 minutes of cardio each time. Last week I worked out 5 times (once was a 1 1/2mile walk outside) and I have started to do weights and sometimes I'm at the gym for an hour and that's great, but if I don't do any more than 30 minutes of cardio 3 times a week then I don't allow myself to get down about it.

I've been told that you don't have to follow all of the guidelines all of the time, just most of them most of the time. I posted those guidelines here: My Bandster Guidelines..... - Lap Band Surgery and Lap Band Discussion Forum

7. I weigh myself everyday on my Wii so I can see how what I do affects my weight. It also gives me a graph so I can go back and see where I was and where I am. I have an excel spread sheet too to tell me where I will be and when if I lose 1 lbs a week or 2 lbs per week. It seems so small but it helps me see the big picture. I found it on-line and downloaded it!

I hope something in all of that helps!:tongue2:

Edited by julie.ann

Hello everyone. Banded on 10-24. No pre op diet did not begin to lose til surgery date. Had liqiids the day before, Had my 1st fill Dec. 2 3ccs could not tell anything. I had ny 2nd fil 2ccs Dec. 12. Maybe a little diference in having to chew slower and smaller bites. I have not had Pasta, rice or bread or pop. Not much red meat either. I have lost 25 lbs with 50 more to go. So far I am soo pleased with band. I know I still have to make good choices. I go back Jan.2 for 3rd fill.

My doc does not make you have liquids on the 1st or 2nd fill. They said you know how you feel. On the 3rd fil however they said you will probably want to be only on liquids on a day or so and then soft a day or so. They said you almost always on the 3rd fill start knowing your have the band. Happy holidays!!!!! Kathy:smile:

Hi - I posted on the October Bandsters thread, too but figured I would post here too. I was banded on 13 Oct and had my first fill (1.5cc) on 2 Dec. I can feel a little restriction but it is not consistent. Some meals I have to be aware that I am satisfied and stop eating and other meals I can only eat a couple of bites before I feel like my food is stuck in my throat. Is this what I am supposed to feel? My weight loss has been about 2 lbs a week, which I am elated about. I have been trying to exercise more and have been doing okay - could always do better but I will keep working on it! Thanks for listening and would appreciate your comments.

Great job on the loss! I got my first fill Dec. 5th and I think I am starting to get some positive reaction just this week. My appetite is dimming. YEAH!

Keep up the good work.

Great job on the loss! I got my first fill Dec. 5th and I think I am starting to get some positive reaction just this week. My appetite is dimming. YEAH!

Keep up the good work.

Interesting!!!

I'm cold.

Is anyone else really really cold? The temperature in my office is about 68 - same as it has been for years - but for some reason lately I have been just freezing.

I know I'm down a few pounds of insulation, but I am still considerably over 200 lbs. Is it the lack of calories I have to burn every day combined with a higher metabolism? Or am I just becoming a weather wimp?

Anyone else colder than usual?