Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any October Bandsters!??!?!

Hi all

Glad to hear everyone is doing well. I am going for my first fill on Tuesday and I was wondering about it. Sounds like it will not be too painful though I do not like the dentist. If anyone has any other info about fills please let me know. Thanks.

Just checking in! I am not getting on the scale today. I'm scared my 283 was a fluke! So not going to weigh!!! I'm keeping that 51 lbs!

Everyone says I look good. I can't really tell a difference yet. Clothes are fitting loser/better. Maybe have to get some new jeans soon. The ones I have are so nice but they are stretch and after like an hour they are falling off me. They fit nice when they go on right out of the wash/dryer!

I have to share this story because only you guys will appreciate just how thoughtful this was.

I belong to a Mommy/play group. One of the Mother's Husband is an Oncologist. I had read that cancer patients and bariatric patients drink a lot of the same Protein Drinks. So I asked her if her husband had any samples or anything in his office for his patients. He didn't have anything that was good for me, because he is encouraging weight gain usually and not weight lose. So, yesterday we went to their house for their son's first birthday party. He was so excited to see me, and he bought me 20 of the pre-made EAS drinks from Wal-Mart!! Now, we all know how much the pre-made drinks cost. How sweet was that???

Rondapoo1; You are doing really good, don't even think of getting discouraged because you have some time before your first fill, like myself, my first fill is 12-1, I was banded 10-15, I'm already into foods, such as, I had a ground chuck patty for lunch, could only eat about the size of the palm of you hand, put part of it back for later, that's without my first fill, Thank the good Lord! I drink too fast and am still having gas. I have to work on that but don't drink after or during your meal, remember, this is so important I was told.

Mary

Ok I am a little frustrated right now. I went out to dinner and the waitress was saying how she's lost so much weight and my cute little daughter says my Mom lost 24lbs. She had surgery. Well the waitress says "Well I did the hard way". What nerve.:rolleyes2: and my DH says you have to give her credit. Yes and I think I deserve just as much credit! Can you believe that. Like what I'm going thru and what I'm doing isn't hard. I still have an open wound and it's been 2 1/2 weeks.

Sorry I just needed to vent a little.

CyndyG - Wow! No tip for her! Anyone who thinks that this is easy is very much mistaken. We work damned hard for the progress we make.

Had my first fill today. No lidocaine or anything, but it wasn't bad. The worst part was when the nurse was pressing down finding the port. One poke and it was over.

Wish I had known how much the weight loss would slow down after reintroducing real food. I lost 4 lbs in 3 wks and they were thrilled.

Penny ~ That's awesome!

CyndiG ~ I would have been p!ssed!!! And her tip would have reflected my dissatisfaction. Wow! We do work really hard to do what we're doing and it's SO not the easy way out!! Keep up the good work! :rolleyes2:

Karen - No Lidocaine! WTH! You are a trooper. I want a fill!! I want to eat too!

This is so COOCOO how different every one's Doctors are.

COOCOO!

Did I mention I want to eat?

Hi everyone...just checking in. I would be so pissed at that waitress. This is HARD WORK. One day, people will get it. Until then, forget it. We're here for you. :thumbup:

I've started into the mushey phase of the diet early this week. So far, I've only lost 1 lb in the past 13 days. Yuck. However, I'm eating. I'm trying so hard to get in enough calories. I'm still only getting in about 850 until around 9pm then I'm stuffing down another mini meal to try to get to 1000 calories. We all know this isn't good, but I figure it's more important to get in the nutrients right now instead of trying to loose weight. I know my body thinks it's starving so I'm not freaking out quiet as much. Thank you all for your kind words BTW. I really appreciate it.

Keep up the good work everyone. We are so doing this. :smile2:

Ok I am a little frustrated right now. I went out to dinner and the waitress was saying how she's lost so much weight and my cute little daughter says my Mom lost 24lbs. She had surgery. Well the waitress says "Well I did the hard way". What nerve.:smile2: and my DH says

No tip for her! Hmm... hard way I believe they have no idea how difficult this is for us, but I just chalk that up to ignorant people! I love how your daughter is so PROUD OF YOU and all of YOUR hard work!! Who cares what anyone else thinks!! :thumbup:

Ok I am a little frustrated right now. I went out to dinner and the waitress was saying how she's lost so much weight and my cute little daughter says my Mom lost 24lbs. She had surgery. Well the waitress says "Well I did the hard way". What nerve.:mad: and my DH says you have to give her credit. Yes and I think I deserve just as much credit! Can you believe that. Like what I'm going thru and what I'm doing isn't hard. I still have an open wound and it's been 2 1/2 weeks.

Sorry I just needed to vent a little.

Oh, this reminds me of something that happened to me a couple of years ago. I was in the process of trying to get approved for WLS and the insurance had denied my procedure. Well, I was at my PCPs office for a visit and was telling him about it. He asked his receptionist to make a copy of the denial letter for him and she says "I don't blame them for denying it. They shouldn't pay for it. I think it's the easy way out." Boy, I was livid. It took all I had not to curse her out right there in the doctor's office. Now it is a small office and she was loud about it too.:frown: I held my breath and didn't say anything because I knew something like !*!* was going to come out of my mouth.

Well, as I would go to my normal appts with my PCP, I noticed that this same receptionist was losing weight. I don't mean a little bit here and there, I mean ALOT of noticable weight. After about the first of this year, when I went in for an appt, she was practically half her size. I jokingly said to her, "I need to do what you are doing". She laughed but never said what it was she was doing. I found out about a month later that she had had gastric bypass surgery a year earlier. Now she had this surgery about 6-8 months after she said "I don't think the insurance companies should pay for WLS cause it's just the easy way out". Her insurance paid for hers!:thumbs_up:

Boy, when I found this out I thought "what a hypocrite"! She denounces me for wanting to have it done but then only months later, she does it herself. I was a little angry when I learned this at first but then I realized, she figured out that it is not "the easy way out". So when I decided to pursue Lap Band, she a wealth of information and was offering advice. All the time I am thinking to myself, "did she actually forget what she said less than two years earlier?".

I agree with Mollyjo, I chalk it up to ignorance. I think alot of people think we just jump right into the decision to have WLS and it is by no means an easy decision to make. But I have to say that it is one of the best decisions that I have ever made.:w00t:

Oh, and I hope you left her a penny tip.:tt2: And...CONGRATS on your weight loss. You are doing great!!:cool2:

Hi everyone...just checking in. I would be so pissed at that waitress. This is HARD WORK. One day, people will get it. Until then, forget it. We're here for you. :thumbs_up:

I've started into the mushey phase of the diet early this week. So far, I've only lost 1 lb in the past 13 days. Yuck. However, I'm eating. I'm trying so hard to get in enough calories. I'm still only getting in about 850 until around 9pm then I'm stuffing down another mini meal to try to get to 1000 calories. We all know this isn't good, but I figure it's more important to get in the nutrients right now instead of trying to loose weight. I know my body thinks it's starving so I'm not freaking out quiet as much. Thank you all for your kind words BTW. I really appreciate it.

Keep up the good work everyone. We are so doing this. :frown:

Hi, My doctor said it was more important to get the Protein of 80gm. a day than the calories. If you concentrate on the protein that fights fat, the calories will be there. Are you drinking protein drinks (www.unjury.com) is where I guy mine, the chocolate is really good, but so is the strawberry, I put the vanilla in my morning coffee, that makes it tast so sweet and good. Please give me a feed back on this, I could be wrong in this case but you are not building calories but protein for weight loss. This is still an uphill battle but we have help with our band.

Hi, My doctor said it was more important to get the Protein of 80gm. a day than the calories. If you concentrate on the protein that fights fat, the calories will be there. Are you drinking protein drinks (www.unjury.com) is where I guy mine, the chocolate is really good, but so is the strawberry, I put the vanilla in my morning coffee, that makes it tast so sweet and good. Please give me a feed back on this, I could be wrong in this case but you are not building calories but protein for weight loss. This is still an uphill battle but we have help with our band.

I completly agree with you on the protien think. I'm getting in at least 77 grams per day which is what my dietician said to do. I'm finding that fish (which goes down wonderfully!!!) doesn't usually have a lot of calories even though it has a lot of protien. So, I'm still trying to make sure I get enough in the evenings. Crazy. BTW, I stepped on the scales again and I'm down another pound. It's nice to know that I do need to eat to loose. No starving for me.

As for the shakes, I am having at least one suplement per day. I usually do it in my morning coffee or make protien pudding for a late night snack when I'm craving chocolate. However, I was told that I really needed to eat the protien as much as possible per my doctor and nutritionist. liquid goes through the pouch and does not give as full of a feeling. This supossedly defeats the purpose of the surgery. I can totally see drinking when we just can't get any food down or if I'm not getting enough protien in the diet. I have tried Unjury, but I've found that Syntha-6 has a wonderful chocolate flavor and it's yummy. It's my favorite. Good luck to all!!!

Good moring to all,

Had my surgery 10-24-08, doing really good, have not had any problems, started my soft foods this morning, i had a soft scrambled egg and two crips pieces of bacon. every thing went down real well, I have not had a fill yet, go back to see Dr. Nov. 17, my problems is I need to start excerising, I just can't get into that mode.

I always enjoy reading every one posts.

Good luck to all

bradley18:thumbup:

all

Hi everyone I was banded Oct 17th..I lost weight pretty good the first week but now i seem to be at a stall..I get my first fill Nov. 14th. I hope it helps. I am still hungry and halloween was tough I like candy...The only things that seem to bother me are chicken and any bread. I haven't weighed myself since i went to dr. but everything still feels the same. I joined the gym have gone three times times this week doing 15 minutes on the bike and 15 minutes on the eliptical, then doing some arm machines and a few floor. About an hr a night maybe a little more. But on my other days I have been raking leaves (uuugghhh). I really hope i start losing weight because I am getting so frustrated. and hungry I think if i could stand being hungry I wouldnt have ended up being so overweight..well thanks for your time..Sherri:ohmy:

Hi newgrama0904 - I had my surgery last Wednesday, October29th and had my first post-op appointment this morning. My surgeon told me that we shouldn't be worrying about losing weight yet; that until you have had it properly filled, the unit is installed but not activated. He said in the first few days post-op, the band is kinda working as the stomach is swollen but as the stomach returns to normal, the effects of the band pretty much disappear until it is properly inflated after you are all healed. That is when the weight loss starts in earnest. Don't get frustrated. Don't let yourself get so hungry; have something with Protein until the hunger goes away. The weight loss clock starts ticking when you are properly adjusted. Time to heal and feel good about this wonderful life-changing decision you've made! The band will help once it's adjusted and doing it's thing. Best wishes and happy healing!

Edited by dirigo