Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any October Bandsters!??!?!

Hi all,

My son just called to tell me that my daughter-in-law is now out of surgery (lap band) and all went well. :D I will have my surgery next Wednesday (22nd)....and my son will have to go through this all over again! I am so looking forward to having a close family member to go with on my weight-loss journey.

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you. We all have an exciting future ahead of us!!

Edited by LoriLei

Hi Everyone.

I had my pre-op Doctor visit yesterday. Was pretty uneventful. My Doctor is very nice and knowledgeable, but I think he has done this so many times, he is a bit jaded by the whole experience. He's very nonchalant, and nothing is a big deal. Maybe he's that way with me because he seems confident that I will do great.

I can pick up my daughter they said. Just have to squat and lift with my legs, not bend over.

We talked about me being a "poor healer" and my concern about the incisions healing. I asked him about steroid cream or a shot. He didn't like the idea of a shot, but said it was necessary we could look at a cream. He didn't want me to heal too fast or too much, so I would not develop keloids. I agree! So I bought some anti-bacterial body wash for the shower to help out with that.

I got permission to go home the same day, so I don't have to inconvenience my family with driving back down to Dallas to get me and arranging for extra time off to watch my daughter. I was surprised when they said I would be admitted. I thought their regular practice was all out-patient.

I went about bought all my liquid/chewable vitamin/supplement replacements @ Sprouts. If you have a Sprouts in your area, I highly recommend them. The produce and meat department are amazing. And, the produce especially is no over priced. They run lots of sales, too. Anyway, they have someone that works in their Vitamin/Medicine department full time who is very knowledge and helped me a lot. I take several supplements and wanted to continue taking them. I just hope they are not horrible tasting. I was little leery about the liquid Omega-3 options. I am not real keen on swallowing a few tablespoons of fish oil! But, I got this really cool product that is like a smoothie consistency. It's strawberry-banana flavored, and you only take 2 tsps. So I figure I can stir it in some yogurt, if all else fails.

Going tomorrow morning to buy stuff to make a large pot of chicken stock. Going to make up a bunch, so I will have it for broth, and to make some cream Soups for when I get there. I still need to get some unflavored Protein Powder.< /p>

Blah Blah Blah! I'm rambling.

Good Luck to everyone that went yesterday, today, and tomorrow!

what kind of popsicles are y'all eating? I found some "no sugar added" fudgepops, but they're not SF....

Bridgette - I just have plain old popsicle brand sugar-free popsicles in orange, grape & cherry. My daughter & I fight over who gets the orange & grape. Cherry is always last. I wish I could find some with better flavors, but no one around here carries them!

Had my check-up today. I am down 23 pounds! Yippee!

I'm off to update my ticker, and then have some yogurt. One week of full liquid (yogurt, oatmeal, Protein drinks) and then I'm on to more real food.< /p>

My daughter & I fight over who gets the orange & grape. Cherry is always last.

Karen,

Congrats on your lose!

Complete opposite here! Grape is the last to go for me. I have access to other sugar free Popsicles. I got some that are like crazy wacky flavor combos. Looked and sounded yummy.... ehhh they are OK. I think the regular Popsicles taste the best.

The Lifesaver ones are good too.

On a positive note, my almost 4 year old son is asking everyday "mommy, do you have the rubber band yet?" :laugh: I told him that I was having a ballon like rubber band put on my tummy so that I would feel better and get smaller so that I could run really fast. He wants to be ready to put on his "boosters" so that he can out run me. HA!

How cute! Thanks for sharing Rhonda!

Lorilei--how COOL to have your DIL on board with you! I wish I had someone. I'm still hoping my dh will either have the surgery or change his eating/exercise habits.

I'm getting my popsicles (SF) and no sugar added fudgesicles at Aldi's (if you have one in your area you should try it out) for MUCH less than I can find them at Kroger and they taste better! My dh loves them too and saves me the cherry pops! :wink2:

Is anyone using fitday.com? I've used it before to track my measurements and weight but they've added new features such as journaling and a "mood" indicator. You should check it out!

Happy Thursday! SIX more days for me!

~~anne

Edited by annecolorgreen

Hey everyone! I’m brand new to this site & looking around is actually making my whole journey to surgery much more REAL! I’m gonna be an October “bandster” too… I’ve been going through the process since my initial consult this June 2008. Course I had to go thru the 90 days dietician, psych visit, and 2 sleep studies for apnea…Finally Aetna insurance approved me this Monday, Oct 13th and my date was set YESTERDAY for OCTOBER 28TH!!!!

I’d originally intended to get the gastric bypass, but changed my mind to go with the Band about a month ago…. It is such a hard decision! I have a lot of weight to lose – to me anyway (130lbs), and my Dr specifically recommended bypass. Its his specialty & he is very renowned for doing it……So, I was all ready to go ahead full steam, but then started doing more research. Bypass just seemed so extreme considering I currently have no other co-morbidities…I certainly don’t want to shortcut the process, and I know there’s no quick fix in any case ….

Its soooo hard!!! I guess my recent change of mind regarding surgery type has me a little more nervous than I was before….Questions keep running thru my mind:…. Will I be able to lose all the weight I want? …What about the lastest European/Swiss reports about the band having high incidence of long-term failure? ….Would the bypass be a better option for me????

That said – of course I’m VERY EXCITED!!!!!!!! :wink2::laugh::laugh:.....My friends have been wonderful, but my family not so much…. They are against it. I hope the results make it all worth while….

Anyway just thought I’d chime in to introduce myself – look forward to chatting and getting to know everyone better!!!!

Congrats Rose!

I need to lose about 130 pounds too and chose the lap band because it is so much less intrusive. Too bad your family is being negative. I hope you can bring them around by the time you have your surgery!

Welcome to the boards!

Rose,

You are so much braver than I was. I knew some of my family would be against it so I did not tell them until yesterday...it was done by then so not much they could say.

Anyway, the one thing I was not prepared for and did not like was that I gained weight during surgery. The nurse that removed my staples today said that it is normal to gain 5-10 pounds because they pump you up with air and because of all the saline. She said it will disappear within a week to 10 days and quicker if I walk a lot. That was reassuring.

Rose, It is a very personal decision which you have done. On the side of bypass, you would not have to have fills and I think you are likely to lose more. I never considered bypass because of it being more invasive. Best of wishes whatever you do.

I sent this site to explain exactly what I had done to my family. http://www.realizeband.com/

Congradulations KellyPup, my date is the 24th also. It's been a long eight months waiting for this day and I can't wait to begin the journey.

Hi everyone,

I have gotten my surgery date finally.... I am being banded Oct 24th which is next Friday. I am so ready to get this done.... I really enjoy reading this forum and hopfully will be giving you all some added good news from my surgery and my "successful results" coming. Best wishes to all that is going through this and God Bless you all also. It has not been

easy and I don't expect it to ever be, but I do hope it will not be quite as hard as it has been, (meaning dealing with this size, which is totally out of

control and I am so unconfortable)......... but better things are coming my

way!!!!!!!!!!

With my recent decision to go with the Band, looks like I've found the right club to join! ....hahahaWish I'd have visited the forum sooner -- yall coud've helped me figure out a good way to break the news to my family!! LOL!!!

But - Super glad I'm here now! Thanks SOOOO much for the warm welcome & all the support!!!!

hey oregon

try putting some root beer flavoring in a vanilla shake. good!!!

i put it in a blender with ice and splenda'

dietician said it was okay. you buy it in the section where the vanilla flavoring is. there are also other flavorings.

Best wishes and prayers for: Lshelley21; josiegurl; shadowland; newgrama0904; swalesfcc; hersheymalone; javabeans; skylady as they start out their new lives tomorrow!

Five days more for me! I've decided I need to distract myself this weekend...lots of football maybe!

~~anne

Updated list (welcome newbies!):

October 1- shanna234; salome000; wvprisonrn; 9pdmnm5; linro123; Meschultz; Elfaba thegood; LINRO123

October 2-Vidahlia; NEWLIFE4BEV; mrsrdh; mamac; kdraves; emialiabri; markfarnsworth; Bratty_Nicole; Carriejess; Terry in KY

October 3-Miss Undastood; SaraJaneQ; LoneStarLoser; Cyndi2464; purplerose; brandie; garysmithey; Ara; Mistydaz; atomanne

October 4-

October 6-Odawa; DeeH; sim78; bandedCG; sweetgothic; daydreamer1; artistapril; roxann; MississippiGirl; trinaj; JerryBlade; SeaSide

October 7-nighttart6; melboyd; EllindaGreek; NFaith; PandorasMom; Betelnut; mimilou; mark2842; lula23; harleyc; odawa ; short n' sassy; longhorn girl; cellis82; grannytwinkie; Sooner; Bama2; NFaith; MJay

October 8-austex; LoveIslovely; karebare714; birchmoon; tiaj; lisalef; goosefraba; renita; socalcass; Toosywoots; MaryBnSC; cheryl1952; greg72

October 9-Izzyd; Mamacj; triciat; karenk; saninbham; imlindal46

October 10- morkiecoco; MomDukes58; BikiniBeachy; VEEJEE07; Monkeyband

October 11-mama g

October 13-myturn0421; lindatatu; vandih; fabnatsdiva; msk1968; travelinsorkel; missundastood; clv811; wifepilot; longhornmom; ctoyooka; suzanna; myturn; DC Girl; dcorna

October 14-MyTurn; cstauble; bimbabe; BobbieND; crimsondawn; leannmorton; mamary5; sexievilyellow; nrpnrp; toots2008; caladonia41;Tyme2GetRite; Txnurse; up & adam; TJ1; hunnybunny3

October 15-rulooknatme; gritar; cheryl1952; alteration; animalover; ihadtodoit

October 16-SickNTired; SanMateoDae; Bino; angelx5; tracie30; maggiehpp; msavoy4901; bemused; nayray13; deb’s journey; Scooby; jendenni; Scorpyian1; luv2bslim; lori ann; tracie30

October 17-Lshelley21; josiegurl; shadowland; newgrama0904; swalesfcc; hersheymalone; javabeans; skylady

October 18-

October 20-nazzy; Ruby124; LynnN; Soupamom; taosgal; karook54

October 21-SnowWhite760; Vickie; gottabthin; cyndyg; rondapooh1;HelloPenny; sveltelady; swpaintdiva; SnowBabymb

October 22-annecolorgreen; jogirl; fortunate1; sandielaw; lorilei; purplesloane; BootyBee; Little Bit; imamld3; morph521; kjhack

October 23- blueangelkc80; bugginbri; Oregonirish55

October 24-illinoishusker; bradley18; tyme2getrite; ktravel; tas; likebefore; ~Jenni~; DMULLENIX; kellypup

October 25-

October 27- ebonie1015; alabamagirl1975; dicustr413

October 28-Michele777; Rosie Sage

October 29-knickerbocker; ~Bridgette~; SCTexasGirl; julie.ann; lauriel; dirigo; CMTurner; sunwyse; Altoonasoup; chrisfer1; wvgal33; gracie78; Tamisha

October 30-kygirl31

October 31-watermum