Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I just Bein' a Baby?

Hi all,

I had surgery on the 11th. All went relatively well. I was under longer than usual due to a misunderstanding on my surgeons part. I had my post-op appt on the 18th. Dr. refilled my pain meds and said she would give me as much time off as I needed. I am supposed to be going in tomorrow for 4 hrs and Friday for 4 hours. I am really dreading going back to my new job. I am insurance biller/coder, so it's not a matter of an "active" job. I have only been at my job for 7 months, and I don't really like it. I'm not really attached to my co-workers. None of them know that I had lap-band. I told them it was for a hernia repair. Right now I'm part-time and they are going to make be go full-time. That's what they said at my review, that after the surgery I would be full-time. I don't know what to do. Anyway, I'm still in so much pain. I am taking my walks and trying my best to get in enough Protein, being on mushies helps now. Praise God for protein bullets. So, do I need to buck up or what?

The fact that you haven't connected with your co-workers probably has more to do with your feelings then the pain I am guessing. I was banded the 5th and was pretty ikky for 6 days then was good. Had a couple days not much enery but then I didn't follow the diet sheets. I guess I would suggest that you try going in but don't go to full-time until you are ready. As you are making a "Life-Style" change why not apply the additional effort to relationships as well. I don't mean make your co-workers your best friends, but make more of an effort than you have done and obviously more than they have done. Set the example and see if it snowballs. Good Luck.:thumbup:

It is no fun going to a job that you hate! Maybe after you are feeling better, you could look for another job? Something that you would like more or at least not dread going to work!

Congrats on getting banded. Make sure you are focusing on you and getting healed. Are you still taking pain meds if you are in that much pain? If you have to go back to work right away, even part time, make sure you are getting up and moving and sipping your Water. The movement will help with the gas pains and keep things moving which will help you feel better.

I haven't been banded yet so I do not know what it really feels like yet. However, going in to work for only four hours may not be that bad. I would tell your supervisor that you are still in pain but want to try to come to work. You never know the time there may get your mind off the pain and off your surgery so you can heal. Plus the extra walking around may also be helpful.

Concerning full-time work, perhaps you could suggest a few more weeks of part-time until you are completely healed until starting full-time work.

I also was banded on the 11th and just today I started to feel like maybe I could do something work related. I think I am going to lay off the pain meds and see how it goes.

My work requires a lot of standing and sitting on the floor, up and down as I am a play therapist for kids w/severe problems, so I need to really pace myself. I also haven't told anyone anything but now I kind of wish I had so that I'd have some excuse for moving so slowly.

My advice is, if you can, start back to work slowly and build up from there.

Take Care!

Dancing Bear

I was banded on the 11th also and I returned to work on the 19th. I would of liked to of stayed off longer but couldn't afford to do that. It is hard to go back to work in pain and it must be harder to go back to a job you dont like. Hang in there, you can do it. I do believe you should try to be more friendly towards the employees as you do have to work with them. Then when you are feeling better, you can see about getting another job. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

I'm so thankful that I work from home, cause I couldn't be back yet if I had to go into an office. I don't think you're being a baby, I think you've had major surgery and your body is telling you it needs time to heal. Hope you can work it all out, don't push yourself too hard!

So, do I need to buck up or what?

You certainly don't need to pretend for us! We are here to support you and to listen when one of us needs help and encouragement :biggrin2:

I have only been at my job for 7 months, and I don't really like it. I'm not really attached to my co-workers. None of them know that I had lap-band. I told them it was for a hernia repair.

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't developed a good relationship with your co-workers. I know that it can be hard to feel invisible on the job. I'm sure it's not the most convenient time because I'm sure you don't really feel motivated to do it, but it's probably time for you to take the lead on trying to build a better atmosphere. It doesn't seem like it is coming along naturally. Even if you decide to move on in the near future, "making nice" will be important to your immediate comfort.

I cannot imagine that someone will not at least say "glad to have you back" or "how are you doing?" When they do, give them a nice smile and FIRST let them know that you are glad to see everyone again, then SECOND express a gratefulness of some sort; "I'm looking forward to being up and around a bit more" or "It's good to see people again." No need to be Disney Nice, but the first says that you like them and the second says that you are willing to open up to them. Might not be the case, but you will have tried and that's all one can ever do.

Good luck, and let us know how everything went!

Don't push yourself too hard, it's only been a little over a week. Make sure to walk. I'm sure you are getting sick of people saying that, but it really does help.

As far as the pain medication, just make sure to come off it when you can. I know the stuff I was taking made me sleepy and zapped my energy-not to mention they are very addictive. Don't get me wrong, it was helpful for the pain, but you might want to try tylenol, to see if it helps. As soon as I went off the pain meds, my energy level went way up.

As far as your co-workers, I agree with the idea to try to appoach them and take the first step to bond with them. If it doesn't work then it's on them. That added stress isn't going to help you with this process. Find a job that makes you smile, or at least not dread it. I know when I have a tough day at work, my old habit was to eat. Set yourself up to succeed. They should be greatful to have you:)

I can only speak for myself, but getting up and moving helped with the recovery. I can suggest anything I want, but all in all it is your body and you know it best, just listen to what it is telling you. Keep in mind, you are only a little over a week out of surgery. Surgery is surgery, you need time to recover. Take the time you need and take care of you:)

Good luck and I'll keep you in my prayers for a speedy recovery. Moe

I agree, don't push yourself at all. I went back one week after the surgery and I am being stubborn about not lifting anything and just taking it easy. I unfortunately don't have the option of not working as I am sole income. If you have the option then stay home as long as you can milk it! I would have.

Once you feel better maybe you will have a change of heart and start to try and connect with the coworkers. ???

Good luck, and don't push it!