Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Only 2 fills?

I had my surgury on 5/22. I have only had 2 fills. I am scheduled to have my 3rd next week. But my question is, is it normal to only need 2 fills? I feel restriction and I can only eat about a cup at a time. I don't get hungry for 5 or 6 hours. I am afraid if I get a 3rd fill, I am going to be too tight. Has anyone else only needed to get 2 fills?

It's possible that you might only need two fills. I got my third fill last week and it was too much, I had to go to the E.R. that night and get an unfill. All I had all day was Water, and I couldn't even keep that down. Just talk to you doctor about it, they'll know what to do.

I think that it is normal, and it depends on how much you can eat and are losing if you need another fill. My Dr. said that some people lose most of or all of their wieght with only 2 to 3 fills throughout the whole process, but he did say that women tend to need more fills than men. I have not had any fills yet, so I cannot tell you from experience.

I feel the same! I was banded on 7/7 and had my 2nd fill last week and feel like it is all I need. The thing that I know from my Dr is that as you lose weight, the band will become looser and then you will most likely need another adjustment. Lets consider ourselves lucky!

If you're losing weight, able to eat a reasonable amount of food, and not walking around hungry, why would you want to be any tighter? For me that is a sweet spot. To be losing weight, able to eat well, and not be hungry all the time.

My second fill lasted me a long time. Just because it's "time" for a fill, doesn't mean you actually need one.

Thanks everyone. I am going to call the doctor tomorrow and probably cancel the fill. I don't want to be too tight and throw up all the time.

It also matters which size band you have. My fiance & I are both banded, he in March & me in May. We were going nuts wondering why he had 2cc & couldn't keep stuff down & I had 5 cc & could eat anything. We went for checkups/fills yesterday. I got another cc added but my fiance didn't want one cause he's tight now. We finally thought to ask the doc if we have the same size band. We don't. He has the band that holds 4 cc & mine will hold 10. That made us feel much better.

I am not sure what size band I have. The doctor's office refuses to tell me and they also won't tell patients how much Fluid they put in during a fill. That is their rules, I'm not sure why.

I talked to the nurse today and she said she will cancel this one. She said I will probably need another one soon, but I am fine for now. I can barely eat anything as it is.

I've only had two fills, and my last one was in January. I'm doing fine. My husband has had 5 fills. I have a 4 cc band; he has a 10 cc band. I have 1.9 total in mine, and he has 8.6 cc in his. Everyone is different, but you do want to avoid being too tight. If you are doing fine as you are, why mess with it?

I have now got about 5 pounds to get to goal, and I had 2 fills--and one total unfill.

I was banded over 2 years ago, was a semi slow loser, but did it healthy I believe, was always able to eat, but just slower and less---and MUCH better food choices!!!

You might check with your band Dr. and see if they want to see you anyway. I have seen my Dr, over a dozen times, but like I say only 3 times have we done anything with my band.

I got my first fill 7 weeks after being banded, another 4 weeks later, then nothing for 2 years!!! Then I had a TT, and had a total unfill, and have never refilled. I am still slowly losing towards my goal----and feel like I have really used my band in a healthy, wise manner. I have learned GREAT lessons about food, and portions.

As has been said, if you are eating sensible meals, and remaining full for long periods of time, and not getting sick---PB's----then you do not need a fill!!! Work the one you have! Feel lucky---I did!

Keep up the good work!

Kat

Carrie, to me that sounds absurd that your Dr. won't give you the information about your size band and level of fill! I would demand it from him/them. It is your body and your medical records and you have every right to know! (and I think legal right as well, but not sure on that) What if God forbid, some kind of emergency happened and for some reason the ER asked what size and what amount of fill that you had? Maybe your Dr. thinks that he is helping people by not making them think about the size and amount, but that should be left up to you to decide. My Dr. told me my size band when I asked and explained why. :)

I also seem to be losing slow, but I think I would lose slow even if I had another fill. I am just a slow loser and always have been. But I don't mind. I feel like I am doing it the healthy way too. The doctor said they don't need to see me back until my 6 post op month, or unless I need a fill before then. I haven't really asked about what band size I have, but I doubt they would tell me. I asked how much Fluid they put in during my first fill and that's when the nurse told me that they don't tell fill amounts bacause patients will dwell on it. All she would say is it depends on the picture on the flouro machine. I am not really worried about it, it's not something that I really want to know. Even if they told me, I probably wouldn't even know how much is a lot and how much is not.

Well ladies, I join your club. I had my surgery on May 29th. I've had 2 fills. 4 cc. were in the band at surgery, 1st fill was 3 cc. and 2nd fill had .75 cc's. This Monday I have my 3rd fill. I don't have a "full" sensation at all. The only thing I feel at all is if I eat the wrong things. Like certain breads, pineapple, and last night I had a bad experience with okra. Sometimes I feel like I'm over-eating and worry that I'm causing damage. Then I panic and worry. I don't measure and know I should. I have no idea what it would feel like if I have caused damage either. I've heard that if it slips then you can't get anything down and you know something is worng. The first 2 months no sweets went across my lips, then I tasted a pc. of chocolate and didn't have any issues, so I've had m&m's here and there. It's such a mental thing to know that this is only a tool and you have to be smart with what you eat. It's even harder to know that I went thru this whole surgery for help and I don't feel the restriction so it puts the work back on me. Just not what I expected after a painful surgery to help me in the area that I could not do on my own. Since surgery date I have lost 19 pounds and 20 inches. No weight loss in over 4 weeks, and nothing since last fill. But I'm not gaining either. I know it will come off and I have to make sure to stick to the plan. There is a fine line of eating enough calories too, which messes with my head of eating less to lose. Doctor's office isn't much help. They shuttle people in and out getting fills and phone calls or basically answered the same way when I call.

Hanging in there and struggling to get rid of every pound!!!

Kathy

Well, I join your club. I had my surgery on May 29th. I've had 2 fills. 4 cc. were in the band at surgery, 1st fill was 3 cc. and 2nd fill had .75 cc's. This Monday I have my 3rd fill. I don't have a "full" sensation at all. The only thing I feel at all is if I eat the wrong things. Like certain breads, pineapple, and last night I had a bad experience with okra. Sometimes I feel like I'm over-eating and worry that I'm causing damage. Then I panic and worry. I don't measure and know I should. I have no idea what it would feel like if I have caused damage either. I've heard that if it slips then you can't get anything down and you know something is worng. The first 2 months no sweets went across my lips, then I tasted a pc. of chocolate and didn't have any issues, so I've had m&m's here and there. It's such a mental thing to know that this is only a tool and you have to be smart with what you eat. It's even harder to know that I went thru this whole surgery for help and I don't feel the restriction so it puts the work back on me. Just not what I expected after a painful surgery to help me in the area that I could not do on my own. Since surgery date I have lost 19 pounds and 20 inches. No weight loss in over 4 weeks, and nothing since last fill. But I'm not gaining either. I know it will come off and I have to make sure to stick to the plan. There is a fine line of eating enough calories too, which messes with my head of eating less to lose. Doctor's office isn't much help. They shuttle people in and out getting fills and phone calls or basically answered the same way when I call.

Hanging in there and struggling to get rid of every pound!!!

Kathy