Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm experiencing hairloss, Need suggestion!

Hi all,

I got banded 3 months ago and lately I've notice tremendous hairloss when I wash/brush my hair. Is this because I'm not taking in enough Protein? Is there some sort Vitamins or protein I should take to help with this problem?

thank you so much!! :)

Hi new to the site But my Dr. warned me that this is normal.I hope to be banded in dec after paper work .I went to my hair dresser & got a multilayer cut so it would still look full .The Hair loss is suppose to be temporary until your body adjusts to the weight loss which can effect hormones dont worry too much .you will eventually even out.

choochie

I'm 8 1/2 months out and I started losing my hair about a month and a half ago. So I had a delayed reaction. At first it didn't seem to bad, but got progressively worse. I do see some new growth, but want to speed up that process. My doctor recommended Biotin. I got a super dose of 1000 mg and take it daily. I just started about a week or two ago and haven't seen an improvement yet, but the doctor said it would take about 4 weeks to slow it down. We'll see. From what I understand, it doesn't have a much to do with the Protein. We're all eating loads of that..... At least I am. It is basically just the stress of the rapid weight loss, and fluctuation in hormones etc. It will even out and start to grow back. Some have even said that their new hair is different. ie: went from curly to straight, or straight to curly, grey to natural color, wirey to soft. I'll let you know when my stray fuzzies get a little longer.

Folic acid can help hair loss, also try grape seed exstract. I started to notice my hair thinning after birthing my kid, and I expect with being recently banded that I'll need extra nurtrients so I don't loss more!

Good luck!

DB

I have experienced the same thing. I started taking Biotin 1000 about a month or so ago and am just now starting to see a slight improvement. You can get it any where (Wal-mart, GNC, etc.). My doctor and nutritionist said this was very normal. My doctor said it was from the increase in Protein intake but others say it's basically from the quick changes the body is going through. Either way, it's not something I've been happy with but understand it is a part of the process. I'll take a few less hairs and 50 less pounds!

Ruth

I just started losing my hair- unfortunately, I have an enlarged liver and cannot take Biotin.

However- there are foods that have Biotin in them such as Liver, Bananas, Carrots, Mushrooms, Legumes and Cauliflower to name a few.

You can also buy Biotin hair products.

I called my doctor's office and she told me to be sure I'm getting my 60g of protein/daily and suggested more fruits/veggies in my diet as well. She said to maybe add a Protein drink too!

I think I'm going to make Veggie/Legumes Soup and try to eat it every day!

I also found this helpful website...

Treating Hair loss Naturally

As I understand it, hair loss immediately after surgery can sometimes be an after-effect from anesthesia. Versus delayed Hair loss which can be related to nutritional deficiencies, hormone shifts, and/or rapid weight loss.

Regardless of the cause, supplementation with zinc and Biotin has been shown to help some people. If we are hitting out minimum 60 g. of Protein a day, then increasing Protein probably won't help much (but it isn't going to hurt!). It is helpful if you can identify new growth (or if your stylist can). hair loss without regrowth is a whole different set of causes/solutions.

There are combination products available at GNC, the Vitamin Shoppe, etc. for hair health. Beware, some of them are ginormous pills. But I am using a powder that I add to my morning Protein shake - can't even tell it's there.

Finally, if anyone is experiencing hair loss along with severe fatigue or paleness - then seeing your MS for a CBC might be a good idea. Hair loss can also be from a deficiency of Vitamin B-12, which will result in anemia. Easily fixed with B12 shots.

Sign me..."Hoping to not be svelte and bald!" :tongue2: :)

I started losing my hair 10 months post-op. I was told it was normal and that it would eventually grow back. :blink: Eventually? That wasn't really that comforting to me.

It could have been loss of certain Vitamins, it could have been delayed reaction to anesthesia, it could have been anything. Frankly I didn't really care what was causing it, I just wanted a way to stop it. I doubled my Vitamin intake and started taking Biotin and Fish Oil capsules as well. I didn't see any improvements after 3 or 4 weeks.

Then my hair stylist put me on to a product called Nioxin. There are different systems that you can purchase. She recommended System 2 for fine hair or people who suffer from Hair loss. I won't kid you, it's expensive. But it worked for me almost immediately. Typically I would towel dry my hair in the bath and shake the towel off and find about 2 dozen or so hairs after doing that. Then there'd be further loss throughout the day, on my pillow at night, etc.

But 2 days after starting this treatment my towel-drying loss was halved. It's been about 6 weeks since I started this treatment and my hair is almost back to where it was before I started losing it rapidly. I even had to have more cut off than usual on my most recent visit last week. :cool2:

There are starter kits that you can purchase online. Nioxin Starter Kit System 2 for Noticeably Thinnning Hair - (Cleanser 5.1 oz, Scalp Therapy 5.1 oz, & Scalp Treatment 2 - 3.4 oz) The kit includes a cleanser (shampoo), scalp therapy (conditioner) and a leave-in scalp treatment (foam pump) used after you've towel-dried your hair.

I managed to find a store nearby that was selling this line and bought some from there. I was lucky that it was on sale at the time and got 50% off a large bottle of the Scalp Therapy. I also bought the Scalp Treatment. I didn't bother with the Shampoo as I figured any regular, mild shampoo would do. As I said, it's expensive.

In the beginning I found the conditioner made my scalp kind of tingle. This is "normal" but should calm down after using it for a while. I wouldn't continue if you had a bad reaction though. It has a peppermint smell to it which is nice. The foam pump kind of left my hair feeling a little dry and limp and not too nice really. My hairstylist recommended I use my regular shine product after applying the Nioxin stuff and it worked out well.

Now that my hair is almost back to normal again I'm going to consider using this stuff every other day now. That way it will last twice as long. :thumbup:

No, I'm not a paid advocate for Nioxin. But I was getting really, really worried about my hair loss there for a while. I'd lost probably 30% of my hair on top. :thumbup:

I should point out that I continued to take the Biotin and Fish Oil and perhaps that also helped. I'm not as diligent with them though, but the conditioner and pump I use religiously. It could be a combination of the Vitamins and the hair treatment. Whatever it is, it's working for me. :sneaky:

I started lossing my hair at the 3 month mark. I lost about 30%of my hair. I went to the DR. and they said that it was from the lack of nutrients right after surgery, the first couple weeks when your on liquids and mushies. They checked my blood for any defiencies anyway and everything came back normal. My hair fell out for 8 long weeks. I got a hair cut which seemed to help but eventually my hair stopped falling out, all I took was a multivitimin.

Sally's also has the generic version of Nioxin. My hairdresser says it is exactly the same thing, only much cheaper.

I did a search on Sally's site: Sally Beauty Supply

Thanks for the tip. I just might try the Shampoo.< /p>