Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I'm living in Montreal Quebec Canada. I am the mother of two young children and wife of a very supportive husband. But I'm also a person that has lived the last 30 years fat and getting fatter. Right now I'm at my highest of 380lbs.

Okay, so I'm not really lost in Montreal. I know where I am, just not where I'm going:smile: I have made the decision to have the lap band. This was not a hard decision, as I have tried every....and I do mean every diet out there. I even lost 120lbs once taking the phen-phen drug...but have gained every bit back along with another 60lbs.

Now this is where my problem starts. I will be a self pay, and all my research has made it pretty clear that I will not be able to have it done here in canada. So I'm looking into Mexico or the U.S.A. However, I'm not sure how to go about getting started and I'm very concerned about getting a doctor here in Montreal to do fills and after care.

I would really love to hear from anyone about this topic...and if you live in montreal or Quebc in general and have some tips I would love to hear them. I read all the posts daily and really have learned so much. I have also found youtube to be a great tool as well.

Looking forward to hearing from you!!!:tongue_smilie:

Natalie

Edited by NadaLee

Hi Natalie,

I am from Saskatoon , Saskatchewan and had my band done Jan 25,08 in Tijuana, Mexico. So far am down about 40 or so lbs! I had a low bmi but was getting fatter fast. I too, have strugled with my weight for a long time and have tried everything. I am self pay and the surgery cost 7500.00 canadian. The flight there was about 1000.00 but worth every penny.

The band has given me control where I had none.

Send me a message if you need additional info.

Mica

Hi there!

I just wanted to say hello and I am fairly close, about an hour away from Montreal. I live right on the border, close to Huntington. My sister lives and works in Montreal and she and I have discussed my going for this surgery at great length. It seems that she had told me about a clinic in and around Montreal that only specializes in weight loss surgery management. I will see if I can find the number for you! I don't know much about having the procedure done in Mexico, only that it is an option some choose depending on how hard a time they are having with insurance. Here in the states I am going to Saranac Lake to have the procedure done (God willing). Have you looked into the bariatric program there? So far I've gone thru the informational session and I have a support group meeting on Aug 26th. My first consulation is on Sept. 9th and of course I'm chomping on the bit to get this done. Good luck to you and I will try to find that # for you! :thumbup:

Hi NadaLee,

greetings from Nova Scotia. If aftercare wouldn't be such a big problem here in the Maritimes I would have gone to the US or Europe for the surgery... I actually never thought about Mexico, but read a lot good things about some Mexican clinics here.

I think first you have to pick the clinic where you want to go. You pick them by doing research about them (for example here on this board or going to the clinics web page) It's good to know how many successful surgeries the doctor did, the price etc... Some clinics in Canada have a kind of warranty on the surgery and the band, offer free fills and support groups. Something to consider and include in the calculations.

After you picked the clinic(s) that might interest you, you usually can schedule a consultation with the surgeon (in person or by phone). I flew to Toronto, because I wanted to see the clinic and meet the doctor.

Simulaniously I would suggest you try to find a clinic (doctor) in Montreal able AND willing to do aftercare and fills for patients banded out of the country. It's important! I think it would be good to have somebody before you get the surgery scheduled.

Take care!

~Kat

Hello,

Well I have decided to get my band done here in Montreal. I was not aware that our health card covers most of the cost. I will only need to pay 5,200 for it. I will need to wait a bit longer than I wanted, the wait time is around a year...but I think it is a much better idea than traveling and then fighting to find a good fill doc. here. Thanks so much for your note!!! I wish you the best and I'll let you know when I get banded:) yeah!!

hi

i live in Montreal and was going to get banded here but i don't want to wait because its my life and i decided to try to go to Belgium to do it ....its half the cost and they seem really great plus i'm going to get a nice little trip out of it ...only sucky part is that i'll be going alone

hi

i live in Montreal and was going to get banded here but i don't want to wait because its my life and i decided to try to go to Belgium to do it ....its half the cost and they seem really great plus i'm going to get a nice little trip out of it ...only sucky part is that i'll be going alone

Hello aminaqc,

Well I thought I would pass on the information I have found out about being banded in Montreal...you may change your mind about going somewhere else:smile:

If you have the health card for Quebec you can get banded here for 5,200. The card covers everything but the band, so you buy the band at the 5,200 and that's it.

I have also found out that you need to call around to the different doctors and see what their wait times are. Most say about 6 months to a year...but, the one I went to said it would be 6 to 10 months...and then after I went in and got things going I was told it could turn out to be less than 6 months. I have a feeling it's going to be more like 4 months.

This has really been great for me. I found a nice doctor...his name is Pierre Leclerc and he's right in downtown Montreal...8mins from my house, he has also done over 700 bands:thumbup:

I feel so much better knowing that I do not need to worry about my after care, fills and so on. And I feel even better knowing that I will not need to spend a ton of money to have it done. No airfare, high costs for fills and out of town exspences and the big peace of mind...knowing that if I have a problem, my doc is not far away.

Good luck!!! and if you need any more info. please let me know!

NadaLee