Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

San Fernando Valley/Los Angeles Bandsters

Hey Ellen :thumbup:

U are an angel....u have been so good to me through all the up and downs of this LAP experience :) Its been a god sent to come on here and relate to someone who knows how I'm feeling or what I'm going through :)

I can't wait till next month when my support group starts again. I remember a few ladies in the class who experienced something similar to what I was feeling before and after surgery. You should come to the class sometime. Its the second and fourth thursday of the month in Mission Hills.

I can not say thank you enough for all your kind words and encouragement these last few days :w00t:

~Dish~

You are welcomed. That is what I enjoy about this site to find people who are going through similar experiences. I'd love to come to the support group. Please let me know the date, time and place. I live in North Hollywood and work in Beverly Hills but I'd like to experience another support group.

I was wondering - is your support group for people with the bypass procedure and lapbanders? The support group I attend is with both and most people (if not all) have the same bariatric surgeon.

Hey Ellen...

The support class is mixed with Bypass and Lapband peeps. Of course most are bypass. I'm not sure what ur experience has been with Dr Quilici by he tends to steer people to bypass rather than lapband. He says there is a higher rate of failure with the band. I still feel the band was the right choice for me. :w00t:

I was wondering...how long does the soreness stay??? It hurts everytime I get up or try to stand up straight... The adominal binder is my new best friend :w00t:

Dish

I agree. I believe Dr. Quilici prefers bypass over lapband. I believe I made the best choice. I preferred the lapband procedure over bypass for me. Its not for everyone. I made a chart before I had the procedure and the pros for lapband far exceeded bypass. It took me time to add this weight and I believe it will take time to take it off. The side effects including mortality rates for bypass really put me off on the bypass procedure. Also the fact that many nutrients are cut off when you eat food.

I felt after my surgery that I had done 100 situps in my stomach area (or more) but it was not that painful for me. It seems like it took a couple of weeks and then it disappeared. I came down with a horrible rash on my chest the day I came home from the hospital and that probably distracted me from any discomfort in my stomach area. I ended up going to a dermatologist for weeks afterwards. It finally went away and then came back again a month later. I've talked to my internist, dermatologist, surgeon, etc., and we initially thought it was from the antibiotic that was given to me during surgery but when the rash came back a month later (less severe) and I was not taking any antibiotics. I then determiend that it could not be that. A friend of mine has a friend who is a doctor and she thinks it may have been an allergic reaction to my band! I am hyper allergic to things around me and I think she was right. She said the second rash was probably less severe because my body was getting used to the band.

Glad to hear your doing well. Each day will get better for you and with new challenges of living the "band life."

I live in Tarzana and am in the looking-into-being-banded stage, but I would be so grateful to meet you or anyone else in my area who has already been through it! If we start a group we can even meet at my home. I hope to hear from you...

I live in Van Nuys, and though I'm not banded yet, I love the idea of a group for bandsters, and if we were welcome, though of us who are waiting to be banded.

Hi Debbie - I live in Tarzana and I'm also in the still-looking-into-banding stage. I'd be thrilled to have a buddy with whom to go through this journey. You can email me at: authorchik@aol.com

Hey Ellen :)

Just wanted to say HI and see how things are going.... I'm doing good... first day without pain meds ..yahoo...thank gawd since I go back to work on Monday ..yuck lol

I'm gunna look for that flyer with my support group info so I can pass it on to you.

Have a good weekend !!!

~Dish~

Glad to hear that you are doing so well. I just had another fill on Friday (1 cc) and its taking some adjustment. I had a cracker get stuck yesterday. I have not had a reaction like that before. I have to really concentrate on what I'm going to eat, chew and chew, eat small amounts, etc. I have to adjust my ticker. I don't know why it takes me more time than I want to but I lost 5 pounds in 4 weeks and so I'm very pleased with that. Let me know when the next support group is and I will see if I can make it. Take care.

Hi Ellen (and all)--

I know we've spoken over email before. I was banded in May with Dr. Q. Would love to do a SFV bandster group. I have attended the support group, but find a lot of the concerns are different since most of the patients are bypass. I live in Toluca Lake. I am down 42 lbs, but hitting a plateau the last month.

Hope you are well.

Best,

Jenn

I guess we just have to pick a place, date and time and we can get some lapbanders together in our area. I agree with you that the support group on Wednesday nights is primarily bypass patients and I think it would be great to have a group for people with lapbands only.

I just had another fill last Friday and I'm thinking it may be too much restrictiion. I'm going to live with it another few days. I'm trying to eat soft foods, chew, chew and chew, take longer to eat, etc. I saw Dr. McVay and she assured me that this will help me lose more weight and I think it will but its really trying at times. I had one egg this morning scrambled and very soft and it was getting stuck!

My private e-mail is e.tippit@yahoo.com if you would like to drop me a line about getting a group together regarding lapband or just to talk more.

I was also banded in May. May 20 to be exact. What day were you banded? How many fills have you had? I've had four. I would also be interested in talking with you about getting food stuck. Its been a problem with me this past week. Although, since yesterday I seem to be doing much better. Probably because I am eating even more slowly (can that be possible?), chewing more, better choices of foods that don't get stuck (that I know of).

Hi Jenn,

Ellen and I have been discussing a group. I live in Burbank/Shadow Hills and I think Ellen in North Hollywood. I would be willing to host it at my house if you ladies are interested. Just let me know. I just got banded this week so I'm probably the newbie.

Laura

Thank you so much for your generous offer to open your home for a meeting of a few lapbanders. That is excellent news!

When you are feeling better and more recovered from your surgery, please let me and others know on this thread when would be a good day, time and your address of your home and we'll be there so we can share our experiences and get support from each other.

My personal e-mail address is: e.tippit@yahoo.com

How are you doing? How are you adjusting to life after surgery and the band?