Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling down on myself...need advice

Hello

So ive been feeling kinda down lately and im not sure what to do. My one year banded is coming up and i feel i havent lost as much as i could have. I have love a total of 60 pounds and i have 2 months til the anniversary, I go to the gym 5 days a week, eat right and lose slow.I even joined weight watchers at my job to keep track more. There were months i didnt lose and then months i did, i just feel with this surgery i have no excuse but i find i can still eat whatever i want and sometimes a large quantity. Does anyone else feel this way or does a certain amount of food really make you full? Ive gotten 3 fills already too. When you get the stuck feeling do you stop eating completely and wait for it to go down and then eat more or thats the sign to your done? I feel so alone sometimes and im mad that i have gone through this surgery and am not getting the results as i thought i would. My only justification for any of this is ive been dieting forever and never ate a crazy amount only during some binges which i cant do anymore, can this attribute to it? Do you think i should have an extensive thryroid check? HELP PLEASE!!!

Guest Leslie2Lose

Hello. First - let me tell you how awesome you've done so far. You've lost 1.5 a week (on average). That is exactly what we are expected to lose with LB surgery. I know it is discouraging when you look around and other's have lost so much more. Remember we are all different and all lose differently.

If you can still eat in large quantities and what you are eating doesn't keep you full, maybe you need to get a sight fill. Look back at what you did when you started. Are you doing like you did at month two or have you let things lax a bit (I know even being four months out I have)? Are you eating the same kinds of food and doing the same exercise every day? Sometimes our bodies get in a "rut" and need a change. Try a different exercise program. Start logging your foods by Protein and fat rather than points. I did WW for years and was very successful with points - they just don't focus on Protein as we bandsters are told to do.

Good luck to you and I hope you can find a way to get to losing again.

Edited by Leslie2Lose
typo

First, please allow me to congratulate you on 60 pounds! That's phenomenal. 60 pounds in a year is the same as 5 pounds per month and more than 1 pound per week! (52 pounds would be one pound per week) I understand and have certainly felt your frustration. I'm at just about the same place as you are, though I'm only 8 months out. I don't expect to lose huge amounts but am content with what I've lost. The reality is that you didn't gain it overnight and if done properly, you won't lose it overnight. The last time I lost over 75 pounds, I gained it back in nearly 5 years. If losing slowly will prevent me from doing that, then I'll be patient. I know it's tremendously frustrating to feel that you've done everything right and yet still haven't lost the weight you want to lose. That's the greatest thing about the Band--it's not GB and you don't have to lose all of your weight during a certain window of opportunity to be successful. Focus on all of the amazing lifestyle changes you've made in the past year. Use your "bandiversary" to Celebrate all that you've done well and how healthy you've become. I know it may seem like 70 pounds to go is insurmountable, but it's far less than the 130 you started with!!! Don't hesitate to voice your concerns to your surgeon and your dietician. I found them to be tremendously helpful when I felt the way you do. Most importantly, you're not alone. We've all felt the way you do and we've all met frustration at one point or another. I'm not losing weight as fast as other people on this site, but I'm losing....and THAT is my ultimate goal. Don't compare yourself to others. Take pride in what you have done and have clearly done well. Continue with your losing ways and you'll get there eventually. (If you can finally lose all of that weight, wouldn't you honestly be satisfied, even it took up to 3 years?! I'd just be so happy to be considered "overweight" and not obese any more....) Be sure to log what you're eating. Measure, measure, measure! Get at least 7-8 hours of sleep, and drink all of the water! Continue with your great workout schedule...maybe consider changing things up a little if you haven't tried a variety for exercise. Sometimes making small changes, in duration, intensity, and even the type of exercise can make a big difference. You are worth this effort. You deserve to take pride in the work you've done. Keep up the outstanding effort. You will win!!! You're nearly half way there already. :Banane37:

I lost 60 lbs at my 2 year mark, probably 50 the first year. I am about 20-25 lbs from goal still. It sounds like you may want to get another fill especially if you can eat high quantities of foods. I do the WW core program and am losing 1-3 lbs per week following that. I can only eat a couple oz of Protein at a time so I have perfect restriction. How much at one time do you eat? 1/2 cuo? 1 cup? If you eat more like 1 cup and really aren't losing then you neef a fill. I eat 1/4 to 1/2 cup at a time. It took me 40 minutes yesterday to eat 3 oz of chicken and about 1/2 cup of salad.< /p>

CONGRAGULATIONS!!!

WOW! Way to go! I've just had my surgery last Monday. And I can't wait to get to where you're at when it comes to weight loss. Please be encourage.

If you feel you are doing everything right and it's come to a stand still... Then maybe you should see your doctor. Talk to him about getting a slight fill or if you believe it could be thyroid realted then ask him to prescribe some Lab work. I have a slight thyroid problem and my doctor prescribed me some medication for it today.

Talk with your doctor and let him know everything you're doing to lose weight. My Lap Band Surgeon recommended that I do the South Beach diet which emphasize more protien and vegetables. Especially protien so that I'm feeding muscle and not fat. Are you lifting weights that burns calories and tones the body. All I know is that you need to keep going and not be down on yourself. The weight that you have lost is nothing to laugh at you should be very proud of yourself.:Banane37:

Thank you so much everyone for your encouragement and helpful advice! Sometimes I get down and since this is the only place I can tell my true feelings (since we all go through it) I just thought to ask if I was doing ok. My doctor always tells me im doing ok, i just remember them telling me once that someone lost 100 at their year mark and they should have lost more. That makes me upset you know. But I am going to keep going even if it takes me another year to lose it all! Thanks again and I will keep you all up to date on my progress!

I know where you're coming from and sometimes we just need that positive feedback to get us going again. We've all been there at some point whether the subject is about weight are other things going on in our life... We just need to here that were doing a good job and keep up the good work. So I don't mind giving you that encouragement. Hell! I may need you to return the favor one day, because when its all said and done we're all human. Our Lord! I hope it doesn't sound like I'm trying to give a Sunday sermon! LOL:lol:

You know what I'm going to have to do a proof read over my text before I send it...misspelled hear and Oh:blush:

Why do we put so much focus on our "bandiversary". I mean why is that the magical time for most of us bandsters?* :sad:

I too fall victim to the bandiversary syndrome. "I must lose 100 pounds by my one year mark!" Such high expectations. I wanted to lose 80 pounds by my big day, so far I have lost 68. I have until October 3rd to lose the additional 12. I have been trying all summer to lose those 12 pounds, so far nothing.:tt1: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

I changed my thinking recently...<o:p></o:p>

It is not about my band anymore. It is just about me. I stay within a certain calorie range through diet and exercise. I eat filling foods, and avoid Snacks, and sliders. If the weight doesn't come off; well it won't be from lack of trying. But now I am going to start living, and be happy with my accomplishments. :lol:<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

*disclaimer: My statement is not intended to represent the feelings of all bandsters; just my own. :thumbup:<o:p></o:p>

Why do we put so much focus on our "bandiversary". I mean why is that the magical time for most of us bandsters?* :)

I changed my thinking recently...<o:p></o:p>

It is not about my band anymore. It is just about me. I stay within a certain calorie range through diet and exercise. I eat filling foods, and avoid Snacks, and sliders. If the weight doesn't come off; well it won't be from lack of trying. But now I am going to start living, and be happy with my accomplishments. :lol:<o:p></o:p>

I'm with you. I know I've done what I should......if I get to goal, I'll be happy. If not, there's a reason for it and I'll work hard to figure out what it is. Those who Celebrate the smaller goals and persevere, rather than getting disappointed and giving up, will be successful in the end. In other words, if you get too caught up in that "final" goal, you're more likely never to reach it.....