Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diabetic/Insulin Concerns

I'm due to go for my initial consultation in Derby next Monday (18th August) & I am hoping my concerns will be addressed there, but I thought I'd ask here too beforehand.

I've had type II diabetes for the last 4 years (at least), managed by insulin (novomix 30 twice a day) & metformin (1000mg twice a day) since my heart attack 2 years ago. I've got on with the insulin very well so they kept me on it beyond the initially planned 6 months.

Naturally I am hoping that eventually my weight will end up low enough for me come come off all diabetes medications, however my concern at the moment is eating so little post-op & knowing how much insulin to take. I've never had a hypo (luckily) so I have no experience of what it actually feels like & I live alone too so the thought of it happening is scaring me quite a lot.

I'd love to hear the experiences of anyone else in the same position.

Talk to your endocrinologist for a plan to manage your blood sugar after surgery. I take insulin and Glucophage too. Right after surgery, I didn't need the insulin for a couple of weeks. My blood sugar ran under 150 with no meds until I started eating mushies -- then the BS creeped up. I was able to stablize my insulin at about 1/3 of what I had been taking pre-op. I did/do have problems with the glucophage though. I take Glucophage XR, which is a pretty big pill that you aren't supposed to break up because it's time-released. I just couldn't get it down at first. Over time, I've been able to take it again.

If you don't know what a low blood sugar episode feels like, make sure you monitor your BS a lot. I get light-headed, hot, and my heart will start to pound. If you are taking insulin when you are still on liquids or mushies, keep some juice around or get some of the glucose tablets or get to bring your BS up quickly.

Good Luck!

ty for reply Lisa. I have glucose tablets or drinks in at all times, but have never needed to use them yet. My blood sugar readings tend to veer on the high side of OK. I've never been low ever.

I never thought about my tablets, I'm on so many since heart attack & the metformin is a great big one, so is the atorvasatin 80mg. I'll have to give this more thought if I get the OK for surgery.

Last but not least, what's an endocrinologist? I've never heard the word before. Would it be an American phrase for Diabetic Nurse?

An endocrinologist is a doctor who specializes in diabetes, thyroid issues, and other disorders of the endocrine system. If you don't go to one, just talk to whoever helps you manage your diabetes.

A little late on your entry. I have diabetes and have lost about 130 pounds with my band. I am going through problems with hypoglycemia right now. My doctor has me check my sugar two hours before I eat and 2 hours after I eat to see the difference. I can sometimes feel the low blood sugar. I feel hot dizzy and nauseated almost like i just came down with the flu. I am no longer on any meds. It is smart to check your sugar and to keep something with you in case you need it because when i need it i need it quick. good luck.

Wow, that's good that you are off all meds though double :)

I had my initial consultation on Monday. The nurse can't understand why they kept me on insulin so long, so she's suggested I see my diabetic nurse & ask to come off it asap.

The surgeon has suggested I have a bypass rather than a band, although he's happy to put me on the waiting list for a band. That's thrown me into complete turmoil now, as I'd considered a bypass far too drastic surgery for me. I've done lots of reading up since Monday on what he told me - he's basically recommending bypass because of the amazing & instantaneous results on diabetes in 84% of cases. I've now read & verified this & I can't ignore such figures.

I think I'm now going to change to the bypass waiting list, but not made up my mind for certain yet. I've given myself a deadline of midnight Sunday otherwise I'll be dickering forever.

Hi, I was on an insulin pump prior to being banded. The 2nd day after banded, I accidentally knocked off my insulin port. So, since it was off, I decided to watch my glucose levels carefully. Because my eating habits changed so much, apparently I didn't need the insulin. My levels remained steady and in the normal range. After eating, 1 hour later, levels were at 135. 2 hours later back to 119, three hours later 104-112. My levels at fasting in am are 112 and below. I was, also, able to get off of 4 other meds for high blood pressure and acid reflux. But, keep in mind that I eat very little carbs - no more than 7 grms per meal. But I feel great! My doctor is amazed. So far, I have lost 29 pounds in 1 1/2 months. Don't go the gastric bypass. The lapband is so much easier to live with and do. I went to Northwest Weight Loss Clinic in Everett, WA. I had my surgery at 7 am and was out by 11 am. My bmi was 47. Pain was very very minimal. I was out and walking the next day. They had me on liquids for 1 week then soft foods the next. Good luck, it is one of the best decisions I have ever made! June

June, that's all such fantatic news & I had a massive grin spreading across my face the more I read into your story :biggrin:

Friday, Saturday, now Sunday my decision is stuck on BAND - that doesn't mean I'll not change my mind again on Monday lol

I talked to my bariatric team nurse on Friday & I've made an appointment with my diabetic nurse for 2nd September to discuss coming straight off insulin. Then what the bariatric nurse has suggested is watch my sugar levels & weight closely over the next month, whilst I'm also exercising hard at the gym & phone her for another chat at the end of the month.

She's still supportive of my being on the band waiting list (still waiting for confirmation of that in writing) & she urged me not to rush any decision. She also told me that 48% of type 2 diabetics eventually see a total reversal of their diabetes after banding due to their weight loss alone. That's not a bad figure but 84% & instantaneous is better.

Anyone got a coin for me to flip? lol (only j/k)

Good morning Ladies,

I'm so glad I found this thread! I'm a potential lap band patient, have been approved by my primary care doc, have my appointments with psych and nutrition in 2 weeks. Hopefully I'll be approved and can get the band placed before Christmas.

I'm currently on Actos (45mg), Metformin (1000 mg 2/day) and 12 units of Lantus insulin (the slow-release stuff). I'm looking forward to getting off the meds and will take your experiences as advice (plus talking to my doctor).

I'm really excited about the possibilities for me (want to lose 120 lbs) and giving up the meds. I'll keep checking in as I progress - thanks so much for being here! :lol: