Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are you eating? I am now allowed to eat regular foods and am struggling with getting my Protein in. I would like to hear from NYU bandsters as to what you are eating. Is anyone doing red meat? I have found that I can eat it - I guess because there is no restriction - only tried this once with a small piece and am not anxious to do so again right now anyway. I am not really a Breakfast person. The only breakfast foods I enjoyed prior to surgery were fried eggs, bacon, toast, muffins and Bagels. Eggs any other way I don't like, not a Cereal, oatmeal or cream of wheat person. Any ideas? lunch is usually tuna but there is only so much tuna one can eat.Can you guys please give me some meal ideas? Also becuase I have been gaining weight I have become scared to eat solids. I had all liquids today because I can't stand seeing the scale going in the wrong direction. Any ideas? TIA

I am eating fish and some chicken. Sometimes the chicken is not moist enough, so it is hard to chew. Fish is easier. Talapia, red snapper, swordfish are all easy to eat. I do have eggs too--scrambled with cheese. I might have half a piece of toast, but find I don't want more than that. I also still have at least two Protein Shakes a day. Typically, I add a scoop of Unjury to a packet of Optifast (34 grams of protein), mixed with Water and ice in a blender. I transfer it to an empty water bottle in the morning if I haven't finished it before I'm ready to leave for work (most mornings) and drink on the way to work. Hope that helps.

Yes, thanks for responding. I am assuming you've had your first fill already. Just curious, have you found you were able to eat more before your fill or did you have restriction prior to the fill?

Actually, I have not had a fill yet. I was supposed to go this week, but I have a business trip so I had to reschedule. I feel some restriction, though I think I could use a fill. I continue to lose weight. Since my surgery I've lost about 17 pounds. I find that I'm not at all hungry in the morning so I really have to work at finishing that Protein Shake.< /p>

Ok, I posting a month after you had your initial post, but I had my surgery at NYU and spent 2 weeks after surgery on liquids and then 2 weeks on mushy food, not onto solids until a full 4 weeks after the surgery. You said you were trying meat at what it looks like was 3 weeks out. Did they change the rules?

I am 8 months out of surgery and have trouble with chicken 90% of the time still. Was able to eat red meat comfortably 6 weeks out from surgery, and pork 8 weeks.

Once you are settled into your band, you will probably find that doing any Breakfast, let alone anything in the morning is going to be difficult. I have difficulty to this day even getting Water down right after I wake up. I have to be up about 90 minutes to get Water down comfortably, can't get anything solid down until around 11:00am on work days, cause I am up for 5 hours. IF I sleep late on the weekends, I sometimes can't "eat" until the afternoon.

Edited by Chrisann

Hi Chrisann,

Nope I don't think they changed the rules but I wonder if they do make exceptions. I may have mentioned that I was advanced to mushies 6 days post surgery by Gaspar. Because of that I was able to start solids a little earlier.

I have had 2 fills so far and don't have restriction. I am still able to eat about 2 cups of food without a problem. This was okayed by the nutritionist considering that I make healthy food choices. I have also been making slow steady progress weight-wise and have lost 37lbs between the preop diet and now so I guess I am doing okay.

As far as eating, I have not really had any problems with the foods that I have been eating. So far I have been able to eat chicken breast without a problem. Although I LOVE red meat I've cut that out altogether along with rice and only eat WW Pasta occasionally. And so far eating in the morning has not been a problem. I am looking forward to not being able to eat in the morning and only being satisfied on 1 cup of food.