Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you get enough protein?

What do you eat to get enough Protein with such a limited amount of food? :confused2: I've not yet been banded and don't know what to plan on eating afterward. I've never particularly liked Beans (it's a texture thing) or cottage cheese, and protein drinks are pretty expensive. I ate so much tuna fish on weight watchers, over the years, that I find it hard to eat. Help me figure it out. Thanks

I always, always, always eat my Protein first, at mealtime. It is hard for me sometime, but I know that I've got to have the protein. And you will find that by not buying junk foods & sweets, your grocery bill won't be much higher if any. I was banded in May and my son has been doing the program with me and he's lost more weight than I have, with the band! The eating program with the Band is a lot like the Atkin's program. I have actually begun to like the chocolate Protein Shakes, with a couple strawberries, not bad! And suprizingly they are very filling. I eat chicken, steak(very thinly sliced), turkey, chicken, ham sandwiches w/toast wheat bread, lots of iced-tea unsweetened, Water, crystal light, cheese, Protein Bars. So far, I've had two fills and haven't had a really difficult time with any foods. The 'productive burping,' only occurs, if I put too much in and it just simply will not go down! Best of wishes and honestly, I don't think you'll have a big problem with getting in the protein, if you follow the program they give you and your doctor's instructions. Remember the Lap Band is only a tool. And we have to use it as such. Good Luck!

I just been banded and I got my Protein in by using the New Whey Protein bullets. I mix them with Water. Each one has either 25grams or 42 grams of protein. I half the 42 gram one since most experts say you only absorb about 20-25 grams of protein at a time.

I use the Isopure Protein Drinks. If you order them online they are about $3 a bottle. I drink one a day split over two serving and get 40 grams of Protein. Yes, it may sound expensive, but when you think about the money you are saving from the reduced volume of food you are eating at meals it easily makes up the difference!

Where do you get some of these different Protein Drinks I've seen discussed on the forum. I've not heard of most of them. Of course, they have not been my preferred meal choice but I hope they will be soon. I live in a small town in Wisconsin, and have to travel about 25 miles to any town of any size. Thanks for all of your help.

I order mine online at gnc.com. If you order more than $75 worth the shipping is free, which is a big savings considering how heavy they are! They'll deliver it right to your house.

well for a while you will be on Protein drinks you will be on a liquid diet for 2 weeks after the surgery and I know the drinks are expensive but its a must. I like the Atkins protein drinks. Make sure no sugar or carbs in the protein. OK when you start on foods the mushies your allowed fish. I buy the box of individually wrapped tilapia they r 4 oz each. I season with blackening and cook in non stick skillet. Yum 20 grams of protein each with 100 cals and only 2.5 fat :cool2: just be creative you will get it :thumbup:

You will spending less money on food, so the money you spend on your Protein powders or Protein Drinks will probably even itself out.

I eat 1-2 oz of fish or chicken twice daily. I am 2 months post op and i still drink at least one Protein Drink per day. I use Body Fortress 100% whey Protein Powder chocolate flavor (i buy in a big bulk bottle at Wal mart) and i mix it in the blender with "Hood" calorie countdown chocolate milk. This is a low calorie, low fat, low carb chocolate milk that taste excellent!!! Only 5 grams of carbs, and 90 calories per 8 oz. I also find this at Wal Mart.

There is also a website called, "netrition.com". They have all kinds of Protein Shakes, some mixed already, some you mix yourself.

Good luck to you!!! You will find what works for you!!:thumbup: