Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am still on full liquids but I don't like drinking the Protein. I got unflavored hoping to mix it with better tasting juices as I am extremly lactose intolerant, but its not working. I get nauseous just thinking about drinking it...are there other alternatives to get the 60grams of protein without drinking? like a chewable? please let me know.

I use IDS New Whey Protein bullets - They are 42grams of protein in about 3 ounces. I mix them with Crystal Lite - and they are actually pretty good! I prefer the fruit Punch and Orange - but the blue raspberry isn't bad either! You can get them at GNC or I bought them on line. Good Luck! MM

You don't like slim fast low carb? It tastes like chocolate milk.

If you have a GNC or similar store, try Isopure. There are also some ready to drink Protein drinks that come in banana. Netrition.com - The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore! is the best place to order stuff. No matter how much you order the shipping is 4.95. They have a powder to mix with Water or skim milk in

Peanut Butter and chocolate that is delicious.

I love Isopure Zero Carb by Nature's Best. It is clear and comes with 40g whey Protein Isolate. I love them and they taste simular to Crystal Light. Do not get it confused with the Ispure powder drink mixes. This one comes in ready to drink bottles. You can purchase it at most Vitamin stores however it is less expensive to get it online, I purchase mine at www.bodybuilding.com

I couldn't use any of the Protein powders or Isopure. It just upset my system. I ended up drinking soy milk at 7 grams per cup. Silk comes in chocolate, vanilla, spice and coffee. It is pretty good.

My nutritionist said not to use the bullets. She said the quality is not proven. But who knows if this is true or not.

Good luck. Hope this helps a bit.

I literally gag everytime I think about a Protein shake. The bullets have been okay for me, but more than anything, I drink the Slim Fast Low Carb drinks. They aren't that bad and they really got me thru the liquid phase post-op. If you can't get it down out of the can, try shot glasses. For some reason, drinking it slowly and a little at a time really helped me. Don't confuse this with the High Protein Slim Fast. It has less protein, more carbs, and I believe more sugar.

I hate milkshakes and that's part of the problem, but the protein taste is disgusting. Mixing the bullets with Crystal Light has helped, because drinking them straight has too much of an intense protein flavor for me. I've begged for a chewable version of protein and everyone laughs at me - so I KNOW where you're coming from. Also, if you like milk, the Publix brand skim has 9g per cup (as opposed to 8g I've seen in other brands). That helps too!

Now that i'm on solids, if I really need to get in some protein and can't get a shake down, I will eat a Pure Protein Bar. They're about $6/box at Walmart and they have 20-23g of protein. The taste really isn't bad, but it does have more sugar I believe.

Good luck! :biggrin:

I posted this on the Pre-Op forum, but it'll fit here too!

**Added since initial post**

I've been taste testing several things, since I have to do Protein drinks for 3 weeks post-surgery. I was interested in things other than milkshakes, too. Here's what I've tried:

Isopure - clear, fruity drinks 40g/Protein in a 20oz bottle, 0 sugars. I tried the Icy Orange. It wasn't bad, but the Vitamin Shoppe guy said some flavors are "more dry" than others. It did leave my tongue a bit coated, but nothing I couldn't live with. Other flavors are Passion fruit, Apple Melon, Grape Frost, Alpine Punch, Mango Peach, Blue Raspberry, pineapple Orange banana, and I think a Green Tea. **Apple Melon...smelled like Midori!! Taste was pretty good. Neither it nor the Icy Orange have very intense tastes. I think adding some appropriately flavored Crystal Light would bump the flavor up.**

ProteinBlitz by Designer Whey - these are really new. Also a fruity, non-milky drink. 30g/Protein in a 20 oz bottle, 1 g sugars. I tried the Grape...I LOVED it...reminded me of a grape soda without the fizz. Also comes in Orange Mango and Punch. **Punch is YUMMY! Orange Mango was good too. Hubby nailed it when he said they all tasted like Kool-aid. And that's a good thing!**

Lean Body by Labrada - milkshakes 40g/Protein in a 17 oz serving, 0 sugars. I tried the Strawberries and Cream, which is a brand new flavor, and it was really, really good. It also comes in chocolate Ice Cream, vanilla Ice Cream and Bananas and Cream. **Chocolate Ice Cream was very good. Really had a melted-ice cream quality to it.**

Worldwide Pure Protein shake - comes in an aluminum can like soda. 35g/Protein in an 11 oz can, 2 g sugars. I tried the Frosty chocolate and enjoyed it. Just make sure to shake them up REALLY good. It also comes in Cookies and Cream, strawberry Cream, Vanilla Cream and Banana Cream. **Strawberry Cream was pretty good. These are fairly thin, watery shakes, which isn't necessarily a bad thing sometimes.**

EAS AdvantEDGE Carb Control - 17g/Protein in an 11 oz carton, 2 g carbs. I tried the Chocolate Fudge and strawberry Cream. Didn't like them one bit :biggrin:

Based on my research...lol...I've bought a 12-pack of the Lean Body Strawberries and Cream, and another Grape Protein Blitz, plus the rest of all the "testers" (except the EAS....down the sink they went) to get me through the first 5 days or so after surgery...which is tomorrow!!

Edited by MistyD65
Tested more flavors!

I was having a problem with Protein as well. But I found a drink I LOVE!! It is Syntrax's chocolate Truffle. It is a powder that you mix with either Water or milk. I prefer the milk and that way I am getting more Calcium in as well. There is no chalky taste to it at all. I actually look forward to having it. It has 23 grams of protein for every 8 ounces.

My big problem is that I don't like anything chocolate and my body does not tolerate anything with lactose in it. So the majority of the suggested items are out. I need to find a way to get the Protein in without drinking.

You might think I'm crazy, but...

I eat baby food if I get to the end of the day and am short on Protein. A teensy, stubby jar of Gerber 2nd foods meats of some sort come in a 2.5 oz. bottle, has 8g of Protein, 2 carbs and 100 total calories. They are bland as all get out, but they whop alot of protein in just about 4 regular spoonfuls.

I add some Mrs. Dash, or curry powder to make it flavored.

As I'm sure you are already well aware. People who are lactose intolerant need to avoid any Protein supplements made with whey. I found another thread talking about some of the same issues below. A couple posters seemed to have some good suggestions including a Soy Protein powder you can find at most health food stores and even the dreaded Walmart.

Hope this helps, things should get easier once you are past the liquid stage.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f9/need-dairy-free-liquid-diet-due-allergies-65720/