Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not losing any weight

Okay...I'm getting pretty frustrated here. I'm consistently getting 900-1200 calories a day. I'm not losing anything. I just don't see how that is humanly possible especially since it says that I need 2350 calories just to maintain my current weight. I don't think I'm even losing inches any more!WTH? :)

I eat mainly high Protein, but I do have some carbs. I try to eat whole grains. I eat healthy fats, like almonds and I count every morsel on thedailyplate.com. The only thing I haven't been doing is exercising. I hurt my back and doing anything is painful.

Anyone else having issues like this?

This might sound crazy but maybe you need to add calories. Maybe try to get up to 1500 and see what happens. Our bodies got used to be overfed for a good long time and we're shocking them into think they're starving!

You could do this by adding some good fats like avocado and nuts to help the skin and hair.

You're doing really well with weight loss so far! Congratulations on your 41 lb loss! I'm sorry you hurt your back. Hopefully, it will feel better soon so you can start exercising. Some people can lose weight through diet alone, but I am definitely not one of them.

After surgery I was letting the diet do the work, so to speak. After a couple of weeks my weight loss stopped. I didn't lose any weight for 3 weeks straight. When I started exercising consistently I started losing again, at least 2 lbs a week.

Then when I went for my first fill appointment the PA changed my diet around and had me add a few Snacks so that I'm eating 5 to 6 times a day. I think this has helped, too.

Have you talked with your surgeon's office? They might have some advice for you especially given your back injury and your weight loss rate so far. Good luck to you.

I agree with the other posters. Just wanted to add that I had a two week period where I gained one pound and the next week I lost 8 pounds. Be patient, our bodies are fighting us a bit on this and trying to hang on to every morsel.

hi there, i'm with you - i've been a bit stuck and i do exercise! i can relate to your back pain - i was out of commission for 3 months last year due to a back injury and it was awful to not be able to exercise and move around well. take care!

someone posted somewhere out here recently that she was advised to have a 1 day high calorie day every 1 or 2 weeks. i have read that in other literature too that it helps boost fat burning/metabolism. like 2000 calories in 1 day then go back to normal. if you've been to curves, the book they have on diet and exercise suggests this type of thing also. i haven't tried it. but am considering it. since i eat so little, i'd need to eat higher calorie food for 1 day. i love avocado and have avoided nuts - i might add a little of both - good suggestions!

i have a fill appointment tomorrow to see if i can get a little more help from the band.

hang in there - this is a sometimes very slow process!

I wrote this same thing up in another thread. My sister has a trainer, so I asked her what to do since I only lost 1 lb in two week. She said to give myself a "high" calorie day. Get myself 2000+ calories for a day or two every 4 weeks.

So that Sunday I went and bought myself a huge Peanutbutter Cup flurry and I had 2100 calories for that day. The following week I lost little over 5 lbs!

My next "FAT" Sunday will be in two weeks. Can't wait,LOL!

EDIT: ALos, the trainer said, no matter what you will always hit 2-3 week plateus at least a couple times while losing weight. But your body is just adjusting and still doing the job of burning fat. So hang in there, your body is still doing good things!

Edited by snuffy65

Thanks, everyone. I'm feeling a little better. I'm going to try to start walking a little bit if I can and see if that helps.

It's nice to know that others out there are going through or have gone through the same things. I was feeling pretty alone and depressed about the whole situation beforehand.

Thanks again. I will try the suggestions and see what happens this week.

Hi everyone

I have found that I tend to stay the same for 2 weeks and then see a drop. I have been exercising since a week after my band but have increased the intensity the past few weeks. Even though I am happy with my loss it does seem slower than what I expected in the beginning. My 2nd fill is next Tuesday so I will see what I have lost then. I do agree about adding some extra calories, I love the "fat" sunday idea. I remember from past diets if I cheated 1 day every few weeks I tended to lose. Also last season on the Biggest Loser they did say that once week they give the contestants extra calories to re-jump start their metabolisms.

Good luck eveyone, it will be so worth it next June!!!!

did you have surgery in 2008? I have only lost 16 lbs since june 3, 2008. I would say you are doing great!

did you have surgery in 2008? I have only lost 16 lbs since june 3, 2008. I would say you are doing great!

Billie,

I don't know about Carrie but I know that some people have tickers that show weight lost on the entire journey starting with a pre-op diet. Mine includes weight lost during the 6 month pre-op diet as well as weight lost since surgery.

It is easy to get frustrated when the scale does not move and when others seem to do so well.

I cannot figure out how to get the ticker onto the lapband forum

billiedaycare: I was banded June 6 and I have only lost 18 lbs. I don't include pre-band (cause I didn't do a pre-diet). I am a really slow looser!

Thank You now at least I have a idea what someone else is losing. What are you at in your fill? I just bumped up to a 4 on July 22nd.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f5/ticker-tutorial-pictures-41782/

Billie, try the above link for instructions on how to get a ticker.

BTW- I am 6 weeks post-op and have lost 17 pounds since surgery. Had 2cc at surgery and 1 fill of 2cc for total of 4cc but everyone is different in what it takes for them to feel restriction. My doc said I am still pretty open and he expects me to be back soon. My stomach is growling as I write this and I think he is right, I am eating more and more as time goes by.

Edited by brown bear
added info

Billie...that's right. The ticker includes my 6 month diet as well. My highest weight was 261 last December. At surgery, I weighed 238. I'm now down to 219.