Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dissapointed!!!

I feel very frustrated and dissapointed. Today my doctor said something that really disturbed me. He said that I will know when I have a perfect fill because all I will only be able to eat liquids, I will look at food and be disgusted and a glass of Water will satisfy me. He said that I will be able to go the whole day without eating as long as I drink liquids. Everytime I go in to his office his staff advise me to stay on a liquid diet until I reach my goal weight. That just sounds ludicrous. Maybe I am in the wrong here but it just doesn't make sense to me. I thought that the point of the lap-band was to help you control your hunger and portions while still being able to eat food. I undestand that there will be foods that I simply cannot eat because they are too high in calories or might get stuck but I never thought I would have to eat Soup everyday until I reach my goal weight.

Edited by catfishdna

that doesnt sound right at all by 5 weeks u should be on on solids?then liquid diet after fills for 2 days i heard,doesnt sound right what they is telling u

That is 100% ridiculous!! You should look into finding another doctor and possibly reporting him to the AMA. Every single person at my dr's office stresses that this is a tool to help eat healthy, portion controlled meals. It sounds like all they want is to have dramatic before and after pictures!

I'm with you. That just sounds ludicrous. My team's philosophy has always been SOLID Protein first, then veggies, then carbs only if there is room. Liquid Protein has been discouraged since I left the mushy phase. If you cannot eat solid Protein and be satisfied for a long period of time...and can only do liquids, then you are too tight. The idea is Portion Control, not liquid nutrition.

I would seriously look at your choice of docs. This is a scary way to find success. I'd be looking for a second opinion,

I agree with the rest of the posters ..That is totally against what all the other Drs are saying ..My surgeon has the lap band himself and he is constantly telling us to eat correctly and enjoy .. ONly liguids right after surgery and fills ..

I can't believe a doctor would promote such a wildly unhealthy approach. He doesn't have your best interest at heart and it sounds like he doesn't know what the heck the band is all about. I would definitely find a new doctor and I would report him. Think of the harm he is doing to patients who follow that advice.

I would run, not walk, run away from this quack. I've never heard such a ridiculous post-op diet plan.

I am eating three healthy sized meals a day and losing two pounds a week. You don't have to live on liquids, in fact if you do, the band is not doing anything except maybe curbing your hunger. The whole point of the band is to allow solid Proteins to fill your smaller stomach pouch.

I'm shaking my head that someone like this is actually practicing. I suggest you put his name out there so others can avoid him as well as report him to the proper place. Sorry, not sure how to do that, but you can probably find out pretty easy.

No, no no! The band is a tool to help you learn how to eat properly for the rest of your life. It almost sounds like they are trying to meet a "weight loss goal" they set for their practice, by trying to get you to lose fast.

I have the proper fill now. Honestly, some days my band is super tight. I have a Carnation instant Breakfast for Breakfast, and Protein shake for lunch and Soup for dinner...and I am full. I would never want to do that more than a day or so, because I would miss eating food very much! Plus..my doctor would insist on loosening my band if he heard I couldn't eat solid foods. He always asks what I am eating, and if I am keeping it down.

I would switch doctors right away. Suggesting an all liquid diet with a lap band is a huge red flag!

I just noticed that your ticker says you've been banded for over four months. Are you still on a liquid diet? That is just plain crazy! You should be eating regular food by now and learning how to eat with the band, not just having liquids. This is very troubling to me.

I just noticed that your ticker says you've been banded for over four months. Are you still on a liquid diet? That is just plain crazy! You should be eating regular food by now and learning how to eat with the band, not just having liquids. This is very troubling to me.

After the operation I was on two weeks liquids then two weeks mushies and I slowly started introducing solids after my first fill but today I went in for my second fill and he said I should be on liquids again. I know that two to four days on liquids after a fill is normal but he wants me on liquids for 3 weeks or more. The nurse said that I cant worry about not eating food because food is the enemy and a liquid diet will yeilds faster results.

Oh Catfishdna! I agree with all the other people who have posted. food is NOT the enemy! This doc is way past conservative. Being on liquids for this long can't be healthy. I would really look at getting another opinion if you can. Most docs will say stay on liquids or soft food for a few days after a fill then move on to eating small portions of regular food. I had my 3rd fill today and was told to eat soft today and regular tomorow. I had half a chicken salad sandwich today after my fill. I would starve to death if I had your doc! Its good to see you are losing some weight tho. But I am not sure you are going about it in a healthy and safe way.

Umm... Who is your doctor? Please post his name and location to make sure other potential patients will be aware of his practices..

What they all said.

That sounds just completely wrong. It's not a race it's about learning to eat differently in way that will keep you healthy and sane for the rest of your life.

Agreed!! Drinking liquids forever is not my idea of fun. Also, a person could potentially GAIN weight, if taking in the right liquids, such as shakes and high calorie drinks.....Sounds quite suspicious to me....I think they are wanting a huge loss to report

holy cow! I'm just gonna say ditto to what everyone else says...yeah every doc is different, but thats extreme! I couldn't help but instantly agree with the poster who said that they just want before and after pics to showoff

The doc is preying on the fact that we are overweight and yeah we wanna be thin as of yesterday so I'm sure there are people who follow that advice