Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

a definite lull

I'm not quite 2 mos. post-op, but I have hit a lull in the past week. I'm mentally bored with eating. I can't believe I am saying that after so many years of being mentally excited to eat. The weight is still coming off about 2-3 lbs a week, so I can't complain. I am eating just to have fuel, and I am physically satisfied.

Has anyone experienced this? Anyone got ideas about how to change it up?

I also need ideas about what kind of healthy snack (that doesn't require a refrigeration or a microwave) to keep in my purse when I get hunger pains.

can't speak to any "boredom" with food--i guess i'm still of a mind to think that's a blessing.

as for snacks--i keep beef jerkey and nuts of all kinds on hand. (good Protein, low carb).

congrats on your successes so far. be well.

can't speak to any "boredom" with food--i guess i'm still of a mind to think that's a blessing.

as for snacks--i keep beef jerkey and nuts of all kinds on hand. (good Protein, low carb).

congrats on your successes so far. be well.

I have to agree with this and the OP. I too find myself eating just to make sure I can eat.

However, this should be a good thing. This is how your suppose to feel. Eat cause you have to not because you want to.

Its definitly a lifestyle change whihc I don;t mind doing.

But also, if you feel bored have you thought about treating yourself? I don;t mean with some ice cream or fast food joint.

I was went grocery shopping with my wife the other day. I kept pulling healthy food of the shelves. Howevr , I was getting expensive stuff. I didn;t want the oscar meyer packaged turkey. I went the deli and got the most expensive awesome turkey. I didn't by the local store brands of healthy Soups and Snacks. I bought the named brands.I buy the expensive yogurts.

Now usually I am the one that shops with coupons and what not. She asked me about it and I said. "I eat ten times less then I use too. Even if I bought the most expensive stuff my grocery bill still wuoldn't be as high as before my surgery.

Now I got all this wondeful(yet healthy) food to choose from. I treat myself with grilled fish instead of plain grilled chicken everryday. I treat my self to crab legs oncein a while (i know not he best for you.)

Witht he healthy bread, turkey, lo fat butter and , lf chese I can make grilled turkey sandwichs.

I have millions of ideas and will be having fun trying them all.

OH ya, I still treat myself to fast food also. Every other day I either go to taco bell and get two "pint's and cheese" or wendy's small chili before I go home.

They both taste awesome and still feeel like I got some old fast food food in me.

triser72 - i have the opposite problem - i get bored without food! i eat my little bit, get full and then want more but am full so i stop. then i feel very bored and make myself get involved in something non-food related. this is very interesting to me. i already knew i ate when bored. and this definately proves it to me even more!

i find that what i do eat, like you snuffy, is precious since it's so small and i pick what is so tasty, that i'm not bored with food itself. so far. i think the idea of treating yourself to good and different stuff is a great idea! might perk up your taste buds (but not too much).

i need a lot of mental challenge or i get bored and stuck in a funk. so i have noticed since surgery i am getting back into hobbies and social things that i believe i may have replaced at least some with food before.

for a snack, i've been using the 'Protein 2 go' packets from GNC. they are 10 grams of good quality Protein and you put them in Water and shake them up. mixes nicely most of the time and tastes pretty good. 50 calories. other than a cold bottle of Water which you get can most places, no need for microwave. when i'm in my car, this is a great snack!

If you are having hunger pains, you are waiting too long to eat. I was told by my surgeon to eat every 3-4 waking hours whether you are hungery or not. If your body gets to the 'hunger' stage, it may think it is being starved & will store the food for hybernation (slowing down metabolism).

Thank you for all these suggestions - oh, so helpful!

I feel myself coming out of this lull, and it is definitely a mental issue. :wink2: I went to a convention on Thurs/Fri and 2 things disappointed me: 1. the lack of fresh, healthy food, 2. none of my colleagues noticed that I have lost weight. The disappointment has given me new energy, and mentally sends the message that I need to work a little harder. At my hotel, I walked on the treadmill as part of my daily exercise, plus I got in a ton of walking at convention - so I feel good in that regard. I do love being able to control what I eat, and I didn't feel like I had that control while at convention. Convention ctr cafe food is total carbs, and the exhibitors who do have food - it's candy or high fat Desserts. And I am sure that my colleagues noticed something different about me, but didn't say anything. I tried to wear clothes that fit me, not the ones that are hanging on me. It's a good problem to have.

So, the lull is waning.....yeah!

I was banded on 7/7 and had my first band on 7/31. My fill was a good experience and 1 1/2 dayed stayed on liquids.< /p>

I had a really stressful day all day yeaterday dealing with old family issues and when I when everyone finally left, I had that tremendous urge to get rid of all those feelings by stuffing myself. I had not eaten all day because I knew I was being 'watched' only one Protein Shake in the morning, so off I went and thing is I stayed with mushies and was able to keep it in. I mean it was a famililiar feeling that I am so working on getting rid of. At the time, it did make me feel so much better. I feel miserable and full this morning. New day, onward, just wondering how you guys deal with this and if you have experiences like this.

I think we have all been in these shoes. There's is a great article about emotional eating in the magazine section of the this forum - it's posted on the home page at the bottom - Tackling Emotional Eating by Shifting out of Autopilot - well worth the read!

About one month post-op, I was at a friend's house. Her husband brought home dinner - fried chicken bucket and the works - complete with fried okra, 1 gal. sweet tea and hot dinner rolls. We were all talking as he was prepping the food, but all I could do was look at the food. My brain was firing off a zillion messages "Oh, just one roll....." "Oh, I do LOVE fried okra" "You can't have this stuff anymore" "The calories and fat alone make me want to puke".

It was in that instant that I knew I had to remove myself from the situation. So, I excused myself, said my good-byes and went home.

Or when I was looking at my mother-in-law's new house and noticed that her kitchen island was too close to her refrigerator and she made a comment about how I would be able to fit through that space in about a year. That would be great, except she used a negative tone in her voice.

All I could think was "I need some Pepperidge Farm Soft Baked Cookies RIGHT NOW!!!!!" It won't kill me, but I will feel better for a moment. Fortunately, her cupboards were bare.

It is all about those situations that causes us to react negatively - not toward others, but inwardly we seek self-satisfaction for the moment to ease our emotional discomfort. How long does the satisfaction last?

At the advice of my therapist, I remove myself from situations that may cause me to have a negative behavior. It works. And when I can't remove myself, well - I just keep my mouth shut.