Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Flu and Lap Band & Coffee and Lap Band

1) If you have the lap band and you catch the flu at some point and go through days of typical vomiting and diarrhea associated with the flu, what does that do to your lap band? 2) I am a heavy coffee drinker with heavy amounts of non-dairy Creamer. Are there restrictions on caffeine or coffee DURING the initial recovery weeks, and/or AFTER the initial recovery weeks?

Per my doctor:

1) If I get the flu I am to come in for an unfill immediately to avoid damaging the band by repetitive vomiting

2) My doc never mentioned coffee at all so no restrictions. I know that some do have a problem with it but there are plenty of coffee drinkers here. It all depends on the doctor.

My surgeon/nutritionist doesn't encourage caffeine. It is a stimulant but also is acidy which causes irritation in the stomach which can also cause problems with the band.

As far as non-dairy creamer, it adds a lot of empty calories so you would want to be careful with that. If I remember correctly it also has hydrogenated oil in it which I try to avoid because it can clog your arteries.

Don't be surprised if you don't like coffee anymore after your banding.

Others had told me this and I didn't believe it. I too was a huge coffee lover and I haven't wanted coffee since my surgery . It doesn't taste right to me anymore . I am now a tea drinker .. Who would of known..

This is a great question!! I was wondering what to do if I ever get the flu and am vomiting!!

Now I know to call my doctor immediately.

Thanks!!

Terri

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches