Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unsuccessful

Jamie, I am so sorry you are having a hard time with it so far. Where did you have your surgery and have you been getting your fills regularly?

I was recently banded and was fortunate to have some restriction just from the band so far. I have made my 6 week appt for a fill in case I need it though. I certainly don't want to go without some restriction.

Jamie...

I was unsuccessful also and am at the crossroads now of considering removal. Mine was done 8/07. I just don't think it was right for me and at this point just want to get it out and start over, good luck I sure there are plenty here who will give you advice. Nanook.:teeth_smile:

I am currently looking at getting banded. My big question is for those who it didn't work for - why? I would be self pay and of course don't wnat to spend $20K and then not have it be the right tool for me. So is it because we slowley slip into old habits? dont exercise? think we can loose and not exercise and then just slowly nibble the weight back on?

Guest Leslie2Lose

Jamie - I'm sorry to hear you are having a hard time. It must be discouraging to go through surgery and not to get the results you expected. I have a couple of questions. Hoping maybe we can help get you on track:

1. What are you eating?

2. Do you have any restriction?

3. When was your last fill?

4. Are you exercising?

5. Have you been to the doctor to see if you have a health condition that could be derailing you (i.e. metabolism/thyroid)?

I had a couple of months that I didn't lose anything - even gained some. It took restriction and exercise to get me to start losing. Hoping to help and wish you the best.

Has anyone had an unsuccessful banding? I was banded in dec 07. I have only lost 18lbs. Could someone please help?

Need more info. What band do you have? How much fill is in it? Have you ever felt any restriction? Do all foods go down easily.

While I have lost weight, I recently found out my band is unlocked and the Dr. will go back in and lock it. Perhaps you have a problem with the band, too. Has the Dr. done any x-rays?

Do not assume the band will not work until the band is checked.

I was banded in 2006 and have lost 54 out of 110 pound in more than 2 years. I am still losing but VERY slowly. The first year, I lost practically nothing and then gained due to some meds I was on. My first weight loss actually did not occur until August of 2007. So, basically in one year, I have lost 54 lbs., which I guess is good.

Anyway, here is why I did not lose. First, I had an undetected thyroid issue. I kept telling my internist that something was wrong. I was always cold. My neck was really swollen in front, and my hair was falling out (not from the band), and I had great difficulty waking in the mornings. He tested me every few months, and FINALLY in December of 2006, it showed up BIG TIME. I am now on meds and feel great.

Also, I was getting my bands filled at the surgery center where I got my band. I NEVER felt tight. In August of 2007, I finally went to my surgeon. He tried to pull Fluid out and nothing. There was no leak that he could tell. So, he refilled and I could tell he filled it. While he was filling I felt a tightening sensation that I had never felt. I immediately ate less and began losing. I went back for a top-off in February. All of the fluid was still there. He topped me off. Since then, I have been nice and tight. I could get a fill, but I can only eat such a small amount now that it would make me uncomfortable and make me throw up. My issue at this point is sodas. If I would stop drinking sodas, I would lose the rest in no time. I just need to dedicate myself to it. I am also not exercising right now b/c it is SO hot here. I do well with that in the fall and spring.

My point here is that there are many reasons why it might not be working. Don't give up. keep trying to find out why.

My issue right now is that my port is sticking out and it hurts when I lay on it. I need to get it moved.

Edited by sisterfunkhaus

Jamie...

I was unsuccessful also and am at the crossroads now of considering removal. Mine was done 8/07. I just don't think it was right for me and at this point just want to get it out and start over, good luck I sure there are plenty here who will give you advice. Nanook.:teeth_smile:

It's too soon to give up. I did not have any weight loss for the first year and a half and have now lost 54 lbs. in one year. My good friend got hers around when I did and also lost no weight the first year. It's not all that uncommon from what I hear. Hers ended up being thyroid and not being tight enough. She has lost the same amount as I have now.