Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

realize band vs lap band

I need help deciding which band I should use;the lap band or the realize band. My doc says that they are both great but the port on the realize band seems to be thinner(so it won't protrude as much when I loose the weight). But then I think, do I just stick with what's been around alot longer-the lapband? Anyone have any comments?

Just because it's been around longer doesn't say it's better. I would say the Realize band has been approved for a reason (it works just as good) I guess you would say. I chose the Realize band for several reasons. But my doctor said exactly that, they work the same. He gave me a choice why? I am not sure..but I did chose the Realize band the day of surgery matter of fact.

Also, the Realize band has actually been around longer in Europe than the Lap-Band, so take that as you will. I'm inclined towards the Realize band right now, but don't think either choice is bad.

I chose the Realize band because it has been used in Sweden for so long and for some reason, I trust Swedish medicine. But it really was kind of a toss up. My doctor said the Realize band and the Lap Band are virtually the same and he showed me a pile of research to back that up. There are quite a few other threads on this forum that can provide you with a lot more comments... just do a search for "Realize" and they'll pop up!

This is what my doctor said: "I think it is great and virtually equivalent to the LapBand in terms of patient issues in the early post-op interval. Placement is similarly (usually) straightforward. I enjoy doing them also."

My Dr. said the Realize band only comes in one size, and it is softer than the LapBand.

im not sure if softer matters but my doc says the stomach is circular and feels a circular band will give better restriction since it will naturally conform to the shape of the stomach vs the Realize band which is a triangle

Both bands are great tools...Your choice is a personal decision that you need to feel comfortable with...One band is not better over the other...They both prove to do the same, aid in weight loss. My Dr. places both bands and yes there are some differences in designs, lapband is more round where as Realize is oval (not triangle as someone mentioned earlier)....The ports are secured different, I believe lapband is sutured and the Realize band is anchored into the muscle....Good luck with whichever band you choose, your weight loss will mostly depend on you, your band will just aid you in the fight... : )

I need help deciding which band I should use;the lap band or the realize band. My doc says that they are both great but the port on the realize band seems to be thinner(so it won't protrude as much when I loose the weight). But then I think, do I just stick with what's been around alot longer-the lapband? Anyone have any comments?

Hello, I just had my band surgery Monday, August 11. My doctor is doing both the regular band and the Realize Band. I wish I had taken the time to explore the virtues of each before surgery. The Realize band is not new, it's been done in Sweden for years, but rather new here. I can feel a hard lump in my stomach where I suppose the lapband is, and the Realize band is a softer version. Perhaps this lump will decrease over time, but I wish I had asked more questions prior to surgery. Good for you for thinking of options!

I have a realize band and the port is attached with some clips to my stomach wall AND sutured as well. And I have examined both before deciding and the realize band is not triangluar; it is a softer type of plastic, more pliable and easier to conform around your stomach, I guess. I chose Realize for the smaller, flatter port. my doc also said they were both similar and worked just as well. I was hopefully thinking that with a flatter port, I wouldnt be having a bump sticking out on my stomach when I got thin!

The lap band does have a thin port like the Realize band. My doctor called it a lower profile port. You can ask for it when you get your surgery.

I'm having surgery on September 3. I chose the Realize band because I like the online tools that they use, and I like that my surgeon's office can review the material that I've posted in the online tools (or even contact me if they see that Im not posting to make sure I haven't fallen off the wagon, so to speak. Having said that, my doc said that the bands both perform very well in studies and that there is no good clinical reason to choose one over another.

no offense but anyone who chooses which band is going to implanted in them based on a website needs to really think it through more carefully. This band is going to be implanted in you for the rest of your life. Im not saying go with one or the other, but your decision should be made on band, not the website. Websites don't do anything for weight loss and your doctor is not going to sit there all day and email you back and forth.

Further when you fill the Realize/Swedish band with Fluid - it is a triangle

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvKvmCVDVDY]YouTube - Inflating a gastric band (Swedish)[/ame]

The first 30 seconds of the video is a waste but you will see its a triangle. I found this on Bariatric Times Website about the Swedish Band/Lapbands:

Laparoscopic Swedish(Realize) adjustable gastric banding: a five-year prospective study.

Steffen R, Biertho L, Ricklin T, Piec G, Horber FF.

OBEX-Institute, Hirslanden Clinic, Department of Surgery, Zurich and Berne, Switzerland. Rudolf.steffen@bluewin.ch

BACKGROUND: Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding is a popular bariatric operation in Europe. However, the long-term complication rate and weight loss are still unclear. METHODS: 824 patients underwent a laparoscopic Swedish Adjustable Gastric Banding (SAGB) in a 5-year period. Preoperative data, postoperative weight loss and long-term complications were prospectively obtained for analysis. RESULTS: Mean age of the 824 patients was 43 +/- 1 years, with mean preoperative BMI 43 +/- 1 kg/m(2). No intra- or postoperative death occurred in the first 30 postoperative days. Intraoperative conversion rate was 5.2%. Peri-operative complication rate was 1.2%. 97% of the patients were available for follow-up (maximum 5 years). Long-term complications occurred in 191 patients (23.2%). 135 complications (16.4%) were related to the band, and 56 (6.8%) to the access-port or to the tube. Mean excess weight loss was 30, 41, 49, 55 and 57 % after 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 years respectively. 82.9% of the patients obtained >50% EWL after initial treatment. CONCLUSIONS: The results of this study suggest that laparoscopic SAGB can achieve an effective weight loss, with an acceptable mortality and morbidity rate.

LAP BAND AP

The LAP-BAND AP™ System: The Platform Advances

June 2007

by Paul E. O’Brien, MD

Figure 4

Enhanced weight loss The LAP-BAND® APS patients have lost 62 percent of their excess weight at 12 months, and the slope of the line is still steadily upward. The APL patients have 43 percent EWL. The 10cm band patients have 51 percent EWL and the VG band patients have 40 percent EWL at 12 months. If described in absolute terms, the APS patients have lost 27kg and 10.2 BMI units, bringing the mean BMI for the APS patients from 41.6 to 30.4 at 12 months and still progressing. There was an infection at the access port site in a 58-year-old male patient. The access port was removed. He presented at 11 months with erosion of the band into the stomach and had explantation laparoscopically. There have been no other adverse events.

Discussion

The LAP-BAND® has been a major addition to our armamentarium in the treatment of obesity and its comorbidities. It has been extraordinarily safe; effective in achieving substantial and durable weight loss, improved health, and quality of life; and gentle in achieving these effects.[12] For a successful outcome, LAP-BAND® requires exact and stable positioning and an optimal aftercare program. The deficiencies in the structure of the original band were partly removed by the VG band after 2003 and now appear to be completely removed with the AP series. There should no longer be excess tightness in the early postoperative period. The induction of satiety is retained and possibly augmented by its larger footprint around the upper stomach. Ease of opening and a smooth shape allows for removal and replacement if repositioning is subsequently required.

According to these studies which I found online,The Lapband APS has 62% weight loss at 12 months and the Realize Band has 31%.

Rockbandster,

With all due respect, I'm a very educated man. I'm not a total idiot, and I'll thank you for not speaking to me like I am one. I didn't base my decision on a web site. I based my decision on the advise of my surgeon, who is the head of a bariatric center of excellence and who told me that for my needs, either band would work well and that the online tools would be an added benefit. I also based my decision on the fact that this product has been used with great success in Sweden for quite some time. I based my decision on the fact that this device is approved by the FDA and that it performs comparably with the Lap Band in clinical trials. I realize that I didn't say all of this in my statement-I didn't anticipate needing to defend my decision in this forum.

Again, I'm not stupid. I don't expect my surgeon to spend all day e-mailing me. Frankly, I don't expect my surgeon to e-mail me at all. But I do like the idea of someone in the practice checking in on me in this way occasionally. Every bit of added support will be helpful.

Bryan