Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revealing Band Surgery to Employer

Hi Everyone,

I'm attaching a link from my local newspaper about a woman in the police department who was terminated after lying about her band surgery. Apparently, she obtained $1,000 from a employer fund and used it for her surgery but said she was having gall bladder surgery. Subsequent complications forced her to reveal the truth and she was fired for "moral fitness."

I think this is a good caution to those of you who are considering using any kind of employment related assistance to be truthful in your request. I know 99% of us are but in case you're thinking of an alternate story due to embarassment, you may think again after reading this:

Portland officer chooses privacy over truth in medical matter, faces firing - OregonLive.com

Hi Everyone,

I'm attaching a link from my local newspaper about a woman in the police department who was terminated after lying about her band surgery. Apparently, she obtained $1,000 from a employer fund and used it for her surgery but said she was having gall bladder surgery. Subsequent complications forced her to reveal the truth and she was fired for "moral fitness."

I think this is a good caution to those of you who are considering using any kind of employment related assistance to be truthful in your request. I know 99% of us are but in case you're thinking of an alternate story due to embarassment, you may think again after reading this:

Portland officer chooses privacy over truth in medical matter, faces firing - OregonLive.com

Oh my gosh, that is so sad!! :ihih: I told my boss about wanting to take 1-2 weeks off for the lap-band and also plan to tell the short term disability people about it as well. Just another example that honesty is always the way to go in life. :seeya:

Oh my gosh, that is so sad!! :ihih: I told my boss about wanting to take 1-2 weeks off for the lap-band and also plan to tell the short term disability people about it as well. Just another example that honesty is always the way to go in life. :seeya:

Of course it's up to you how much time you feel is necessary to recover, but generally speaking 4 days seems to be the recommended amount. Example: have the surgery on Wednesday, take off Thurs and Fri and have the weekend to recover and be back by Monday. For those have bypass surgery, it may take longer but the lapband surgery is less traumatic to the body than gall bladder surgery.

Hi Everyone,

Playing the devil's advocate... she had a medical problem, obesity is a disease! Not to mention that the band had to be removed due to MEDICAL COMPLICATIONS!!! What are they really trying to accuse her of... going to Mexico on a vacation??!!?!?!? What a bunch of bull!! I wouldn't have applied for the fund... but if they suggested it when she was having complications from the original lapband surgery... does it really matter it was to help cover taking it out??? I hope she keeps her job!!!!!

Tess

I've seen many posts where people have said that they told people they had gallbladder or some other type of surgery. I've never understood that - I just told my boss that I was going to be out for a surgical procedure. It's no one's business what TYPE of surgery.

Maybe I'm just lucky that my co-workers were not nosy about me being out.

See, this is why I do not agree with lying about things. ESPECIALLY something as serious as surgery. Lies have a way of coming back and biting you in the ass. She never had to say she was having gall bladder surgery, all she had to do was say she was having a medical procedure and didn't want to discuss it. Simple as that.

I am sorry, but part of me does not feel sorry for her, she lied, she lied and got funding for something that was not happening. IMO, that is just wrong. The other part of me does feel bad for her, not only did she have complications, but now her job is on the line. Sad really, but in the end it was her own sword she impaled herself on at work, sad but true.

Hmm, I'm not sure what to say. It specifically says that to get the fund money you do not have to devulge the medical information in order to receive that money (I don't think they can legally ask you). While I do not think she should be fired because of it I do think that she should not have LIED about the procedure. She should have said she prefers not to discuss it and leave it at that. She wasn't required to tell them what it was about so she shouldn't have. When she did open her mouth and lie, she was providing false information so... should she have been given the $1000 for her band related complications? Sure, if they have a program in place to assist medical related stuff. Should she have lied about it, most definitely not. Should she be fired for it? No, the person shouldn't have asked her what the medical problem was.

I've seen many posts where people have said that they told people they had gallbladder or some other type of surgery. I've never understood that - I just told my boss that I was going to be out for a surgical procedure. It's no one's business what TYPE of surgery.

Maybe I'm just lucky that my co-workers were not nosy about me being out.

I told my supervisor the exact same thing. I'm a very private person and I didn't want everyone in my business.

Hmm, I'm not sure what to say. It specifically says that to get the fund money you do not have to devulge the medical information in order to receive that money (I don't think they can legally ask you). While I do not think she should be fired because of it I do think that she should not have LIED about the procedure. She should have said she prefers not to discuss it and leave it at that. She wasn't required to tell them what it was about so she shouldn't have. When she did open her mouth and lie, she was providing false information so... should she have been given the $1000 for her band related complications? Sure, if they have a program in place to assist medical related stuff. Should she have lied about it, most definitely not. Should she be fired for it? No, the person shouldn't have asked her what the medical problem was.

I agree with you, I don't think it is good to tell a flat out lie, but she really shouldn't be fired because of it.

Now my question is if someone were having some sort of sex change operation, wanted to keep it quite, applied for that sort of fund that didn't require full disclosure of the medical condition, and was later found out about would they also be close to getting fired? They can't pick and choose what types of surgeries they will and won't cover in the fund because then it would violate the P.H.I. (personal health information) law. So they either need to accept EVERYTHING or get rid of it all together!

I dont think the lapband is the issue. The point is that she lied. If she said she was having medical complications of a personal nature, she could have kept her "secret" and her job. I feel sorry for her, but it at the same time, I think that Police officers need to demonstrate a good moral compass (not blatantly lie). I think it begs the question what else has she lied about to her employer?

To be honest, I did not tell my employer about my lapband either. I had a hiatal hernia repair at the same time as the lapband, so I simply told my employer that I had a hiatal hernia repair. Not exactly the whole truth, but I cannot be accused of lying to either.

I am having a TT in a few weeks, and I have told everyone. I offered to use vacation time since it is elective surgery, but my employer is allowing me to use sick days.