Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breastfeeding with pre and post op diets

Has anyone breastfed in the process of getting the band? my daughter is 10 months old and a great eater, so its not imparative that I continue but I would like to finish the last 2 months out like the American Academy of Peds suggests..

Heres my issue.. for the 2 week pre-op diet I was allowed to be on a diet of regular foods, low carb 1600 cal. becuase all the breast feeding studies say not to drop below that. then today (3 days before my surgery) my Nutritionist said she wants me to do liquids for 2 days before (I know nice warning!) I know its susposed to be low-carb but the low carb liquid diet I have has only 800 cal. you can see my delimma.. does anyone know how much Protein we can ingest in a day? because I am gonna have to have protein if I cant have carbs.

any suggestions for good liquid cals?

second.. I have to do clear liquid for 4 days after and I got Isopure and boost breeze for that but even if I drink 4 boosts, and 1 isopure with 40g protien I am still only at 1000-1200... ahhhhh

I am stressed out!! I cant wait to be 5 days post-op! and hopefully my milk supply wont dry up by then!!

(ps I have pumped a small storage of milk for the 24 hrs post op.. have to pump and dump 24hrs after..because of anthes)

There are a lot of different opinions on calculating Protein needs. I am 266 and was told to target 60 each day.

Not that you need extra stress, but you may want to wean your daughter in order to get her ready (and yourself) for the life change you are about to make.

I was with the leleche league (pro breastfeeding) and I can tell you you have done so much for your baby already that 2 more months will not matter immunity wise. Most people don't make it past 2 months breastfeeding. You are 10!

You could always try to wean and pump as much as you can for her rainy day fund.

Good luck!

My kids are 6 and 8 now, so I cant help you with sharing a similar experience. But I just wanted to offer some support. I nursed my kids for years and believe breastfeeding is a wonderful and amazing thing!

I would suggest contacting a local La Leche League LLLI | Home , they often help moms who have to have surgerys or fast for medical tests.

From my own experience, I think if your daughter is eating other foods she shouldn't have any problem with lack of nutrition for the few days you can not nurse her. She will probably want extra food and liquids. As far as your milk supply, pumping when you can't nurse, and then nursing as much as she wants to when it is safe to resume, should keep your milk supply just fine.

There is another organization, The World Health Organization, that recommends breastfeeding for 24 months or longer. Personally I think nursing for any length of time is a benefit, 2 weeks or 2 years. I only mention this because I hear from a lot of moms that stop at 12 mos because of the American Academy of Peds recomendation. I think this is a very conservative reccomendation because the USA is not as breastfeeding friendly as other countries.

Any way, good luck with your upcomming lapband! My operation is next week and I am getting so nervious!

Edited by mich

thanks for your responses. I have been getting some support from my lactation consultant at the hospital I had my daughter at.. I would like to keep BF my daughter passed the 12 month mark. its just a weird time for me because although she is only at the 10 month mark.. I want to get the lap band and lose some weight before #2 decides to come along.. so its a toss up.. risk with the low cals that I cant continue or wait and possibly get pregnant before i have the chance to do the LB.

I guess I just have to TRUST that I wouldnt have been led this direction if it wasnt gonna all work out.. even with the low cals.. the extra pumping should help! thanks again for your responses

there is just so much stuff to worry about! its seems if you try not to worry about the big problems..ie the surgery than its all the little things that nail you.. like calories :thumbup: