Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am trying to figure out the best way to deal with this after I have had my procedue. I am an true to the definition of emotional eater. Right now I am having a bit of anxiety about letting my 5 year son go for a week with my in-laws out of state. He has never been away from me for that long.:thumbup::crying: So I was just going to make me a snack when I realized I am not even hungry, just a bit nerved up.

How do you guys deal with issues like this and what it the best way to tackle it? BTW I did not eat the snack, no need to since I was not hungry.:teeth_smile:

I am an emo eater also. My episodes are primarily triggered by stress-especially at work. I have been doing some serious thinking about how I am gonna deal with this after I am banded. I believe that I am gonna have to make some serious adjustments in my life to maximize my band. I need to do me. When it comes to work I can't do 200% anymore - its killing me. I can't afford to eat my way through it anymore. I am seriously thinking about leaving administration and going back into the classroom until I get my health together.

I am so glad you asked this question.

I am an emo eater too. MY sis ter asked that question of me.

What are you going to do when you get banded? How are you going to handle THAT THING that makes you eat... or that made you smoke for 20 years before quitting that, or biting your nails when you were young? What will you turn to next????" Those were good questions that I do not have an answer to. But I need to find it... and QUICK!!!

Maybe take up knitting ... it can be small and compact and keep my hands busy.

Any other suggestions would be great.

Curves

Emotional eating has been at the core of my obesity. Overeating with the band may lead to slippage and loss of the band. This surgery is too expensive and requires too many hoops to jump through, never mind the initial post-op discomfort to jack up.

Since surgery, I have been in professional therapy to deal with my emotional issues. Yes, that's right. I had to get over that "strong Black woman" thing and admit I needed help with some stuff and I was "crazy" to continue on as I was. Increased exercise has also been helpful along with participation in a 12 step program for overeating and purposed prayer/meditation. Of course, this board has also been very helpful. It is good to see that other women are dealing with the same issues and I am not alone.

Thanks to all of you for being here!

Tammy~

I ain't mad at ya!!!

I have to get over the fact that I DO HAVE EATING ISSUES... plan and simple. With the band it will not solve WHY I eat too much... it will just prevent me from doing it.

I see the psycologist next week who by the way has the band. I will see if she can refer me to a 12 step. My sister who is a nurse suggested that too.

I am proud of you for looking into it and taking a stand to complete this process with all of the tools you need to be successful.

Curves

I am the first to tell people if you need to get therapy, please go. I got over that hump a long time ago. I saw one last years to help me through some things and I found it very helpful. I had been thinking that I would start to see her again now and after the surgery to help make sure that I do not mess this up. The therapist I see is a very strong, intelligent sista and I was very happy with her approach.

Thanks for the support Curves and SouthernGirl! www.therecoveryroom.org is a good site for emotional or compulsive eating. They are sanctioned by OA and follow a 12 step format complete with online meetings if one desires. There is even a forum for those who have had surgery. Other online, telephone, and in-person local meetings can be found at www.oa.org along with many other helpful resources. There is also an African American group meeting online. Ebony something or other....the exact name and site escapes me. I will post it when I come across it again.

I never knew that there was that kind of help for emotional eating. Thanks so much for sharing. It really has given me something to think about.

I can join the crowd. I am also an emotional eater. It has been hard to fight the urges, but they do go away. I either walk, go upstairs (my kitchen is downstairs), or just do something else. I also got rid of all my "good" foods at home and replaced them with healthy options. I can't so that much damage on sugar free Jello or SF popsicles. I am also a lady in theraphy and I have no shame - best thing I ever did with myself. Well, other then getting banded:smile2:

I too am an emotional overeater and thank you for the website for Ebony OA. I also going to make use of psych help to more control of the many loose ends in my life.

Anne the Travel Lady

Hi ladies, Im very new to this site but every thing that I've read so far

is something that I can relate to. Last week @ my monthly visit with

my doc. I discussed the fact that once I did the (LB) I didn't want to

be like some of the people that I have heard about that does not lose

any weight. I told him that I was afraid that I might not accomplish

my goal and that I was afraid of that fact. He told me that I was

addicted to food and that I was an emotional eater; and that is why I was feeling the way that I was. I didn't want to

believe him, but when I came home and thought about what he said I

realized that he was right. Because I never thought of myself like that

before an "Addict" especially to food. That was like adding insult to injury.

(Mind you he wasn't being mean or anything we were just having general conversation. He is a wonderful doctor.) Can you guess what I wanted to

do when I came home and thought about what he said. (1.) Cried (2. )wanted to eat.:wink2:

U know when they say that it is mind over matter it is and it is truly hard... u know when i was a kid i was programmed to clean my plate and now that i have been banded i still have that mindset and it is so hard to phathom hey dummy u are full stop eating... just because 95% of my food is left i look at it like something is wrong... but its not. It is a struggle everyday and i pray that this will get easier as the days progress...

Hang on in there, Ladies!

Yes, it's rough. But when I think about in Whose image we are created in and the people we are descended from.....proud sisters who overcame horrendous situations in this country and still thrived, I am confident that together we can attain our goals and beyond.

Going with my daughter to Austin, TX for a couple of days tomorrow. She is looking at a nursing residency out there. Then jetting off to Vegas for National Black Nurses Association conference. I know you nurses on here know what I am talking about. This will be my first time taking the lapband on the road, but I think I am ready. I will let you know how it works out for me.

Tammygirl