Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psych Eval in 1 hour...Horrified!

Guest BikiniBeachy

Guest BikiniBeachy

Hi guys. I am just headed out the door to my psych eval. I have spent literally hours on the phone with this Dr and of course 3-5 hours filling out packets of questionnaires, so I do not have to option to change now. Here's the thing...if I do not pass, that's that, it's not meant to be. But the real reason I'm completely nervous and feel like I may vomit is because the doctor makes me completely uncomfortable!!!!

He sounds incredibly judgemental, but it may be because of his age (I have grandparents that are so hard on me about my weight, constantly, that I cry when I see them now as an adult.) So it's easy to see how I equate extreme judgement with elders.

ALSO when I told him my mom was an overweight RN, he said "Oh my GOD?? Are you serious? I don't even understand that, an obese RN. I'm not sure how long her knees will hold up." He's also asked me many, many personal questions (which I know is normal) But I have repeatedly told him I was not physically or sexually abused as a child and he continues to ask me, even call me (7am once, 9pm once) to ask me or confirm something. He calls back because he wants to know if I need the directions coming from a "friends" house incase the directions he sent me from "my" house are now going to be pointless. He said that!! I said "SIR, I think I can find my way with the original directions now, I am very busy bye bye." He even looked up my cell number through insurance cause I wasn't answering my home number. (And this was because he wanted my FRIENDS address I was staying with to send my appointment confirmation to) I know he sounds very helpful, but I am just dreading meeting him. I feel so uncomfortable sharing these things with someone who is judging me. I'm all for therapy, but this isn't therapy, it's a psych eval. maybe he's testing my sanity?!?!

Well, I'm headed out. Thanks for listening.:wub:

Your post brings up a red flag to me. This guy sounds almost like he is stalking you. I would consider going to some else because he's someone you should feel safe with.

Let us know what happens. That sounds so strange! My eval. was done over the phone. It only took a half hour and the doctor was very nice. Good luck.

Good luck to you for success with the band. I agree with the other lady...this doesn't sound normal for a supposed "professional" We're given gut feelings for a reason....don't feel bad about changing.

This just sounds too strange! :wub: I hope it all goes well. Let us know. I've never heard of a doctor calling several times just to make sure you have the correct directions. Be careful.

Weird! Have you considered calling the American Board of Psychologists to report his behavior. Im sure they would want to know. My BF is a Psychologist, and those things just are not okay...

This sounds strange...... I am the one that got my letter from the psych doctor so if he doesn't approve you and you feel uncomfortable I would get a second opinion........ I don't think I would have gone to him after him calling and all that....

Most insurances pay for second opinons with medical and I am sure they will for psych also...... this may be a quality of care issue that you may want to bring to the insurance companies attention.......

Good luck!!

His behavior seems bizarre and unprofessional. I've never heard anything like it. Let us know how your visit goes. I guess you just have to get through this one last visit with him and then you don't ever have to deal with him again but if that's not the case, I'd seriously look into my options for getting a different psychiatrist and reporting his behavior. Good luck!

Guest BikiniBeachy

Well I'm back now. thanks for all the kind words. The eval was a nightmare. The guy took 3 hours, and he is in his late seventies. He asked me several times to "slow down" because I speak to fast, which is not true at all. He didn't understand anything I was saying, he got upset when I said my boyfriend takes inbound calls for Dish network, saying he had no idea what I was talking about.

It ended by him saying he "doesn't think" he will recommend me because my "life is too chaotic right now"

I'm F(&**(& moving! Excuse my language but am I allowed to move?? I looked and him and tears swell in my eyes and I said, "please sir, I am just moving. Everything will be settled by the surgery, things are truly not that chaotic, I am just apartment hunting and the market is bad."

The reason he said this is because I have two mailing addresses, WTF?! Is that a big deal? He even rolled his eyes and said , "Wow, you've got a lot of problems. Even if you don't get the surgery, you need therapy." I took everything he said to heart, but just because he was unable to comprehend why I might want to stay at my mom's when i'm in town to look for apartments, doesn't mean I'm out of control chaotic. this is a nightmare, and I KNEW he would be like this, i had a terrible feeling about him the whole time.

What now???I bet the doctors office won't even talk to me if he denies me. I knew I should've gone to their other Psych Doc! I'm losing my mind.

Thanks for all the kind words, we'll see what the surgeon's office says...

*sigh*

Please document all this and send it to the person who recommended him as well as your insurance company. Sounds like he needs therapy!