Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who was banded at Derby City Hospital?

Hi everyone!

Hello to you all, its great to read actual stories of surgery in Derby rather than an advertisement for a consmetic surgery clinic! :biggrin:

Basically, my problem is this. I have a BMI of 39, I weigh in at just over 20 stone and I am miserable as hell. I have tried all sorts of diets over the past years and NOTHING has worked. I am so depressed I then comfort eat which makes things worse! I am so desperate to have this motivation that in say 12 months time I will be well on the way to acheiving my goal of becomming fit and healthy again. I am asthmatic and I know this is enchanced by my weight, I am constantly lathargic and a real misery for my poor husband who I rarely let near me! (although he is wonderful and adores me as I am- he too knows how much my size is getting me down.)- I am becomming a recluse. I have joined a gym but i am too ashamed to go :smile:

I feel like I am dying, that I am killing myself with food. I have read and read about gastric bands and feel so much that this is what will basically save my life.

But can I go to my doc and ask for this?? Whill he/she laugh at me or just say no?- I cant afford to go privately, and I have bad credit so I cant get finance. Its on my mind every day, and I am not feeling brave enough to go and talk to the doc due to fears of being rejected, which I know would really make it worse.

Can anyone tell me if they were referred to have NHS treatment by a doc in Derby? I would love to know how it went , then this may take away some of my worries.

Thankyou

Anna xxxxx

Hello Anna,

First of all, welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of very supportive people here who are only too pleased to give you advice and support.

You should certainly go to your GP and discuss this. It seems that you may benefit from weight loss surgery. Don't worry about any reaction from your GP. He/she should treat you with professionalism, not laugh at you, but share your concerns and try to help. If your GP doesn't do that, go to another one.

I was referred by my GP to Derby for my lap band operation. It went very smoothly and I've not looked back since. I'm now close to my target weight, feel great and in the process, re-educated myself about food.

Do you have any co-morbidities, such as diabetes, heart issues etc? They will be discussed by your doctor with you and are factors deciding whether or not you can have the operation on the NHS with your BMI. I think that if your BMI is over 40, or over 35 with comoribities, they you qualify for NHS treatment. That may change, so please someone correct me if I'm wrong. You should also have tried other weight loss strategies eg weight reduction pills. You can download the referal document for your GP at Referral Guidelines

That will give you a good indication as to the criteria that Derby look to.

This is very important: don't get downhearted. I know that's easy to say and difficult to do, but please try. If you want to talk to me just to rant or for some support, please phone me - my number is on my website. I can be a good listener.

Take care,

Thankyou so much. I already feel a little better- and less alone :(

I have never been tested for diabeties, I have alot of heart palpatations, and was referred for further tests- but I never went. Half the problem is with my weight I am too ashamed to go out. It really does affect me that much.

I have tried diet pills too as prescribed by my doc, and put weight on!! lol. Not a great success, plus I never went to the dietician appointments- for the same reason as everything else- I feel too lathargic and ashamed to go out. All that is on my mind is getting this surgery done and then working towards my goal. I know that being accepted for it will be such a wonderful motivation- its all I have thought about for as long as I can rememeber.

One thing my weight really does affect is my sleeping. I find i very difficult to have a restful sleep due to snoring- and my daytime sleepiness it ruining everything. Some days I can sit in the chair and doze off for most of the day- and still want sleep at night! I am sure this is due to my weight.

I am worried that I just dont have ENOUGH problems or am not fat enough for the surgery that would so help my life :/

I guess I will have to pluck up the courage to go and see what the doc says. I hope mine is as sympathetic as yours was.

Fingers crossed :banghead:

Thanks for cheering me up a bit this evening and making me feel like there is some hope.

xxx

Sorry- I have reposted this as it said my thread had been deleted?- Im not sure so better be safe than sorry :thumbup:

Hi everyone!

Hello to you all, its great to read actual stories of surgery in Derby rather than an advertisement for a consmetic surgery clinic! :(

Basically, my problem is this. I have a BMI of 39, I weigh in at just over 20 stone and I am miserable as hell. I have tried all sorts of diets over the past years and NOTHING has worked. I am so depressed I then comfort eat which makes things worse! I am so desperate to have this motivation that in say 12 months time I will be well on the way to acheiving my goal of becomming fit and healthy again. I am asthmatic and I know this is enchanced by my weight, I am constantly lathargic and a real misery for my poor husband who I rarely let near me! (although he is wonderful and adores me as I am- he too knows how much my size is getting me down.)- I am becomming a recluse. I have joined a gym but i am too ashamed to go :banghead:

I feel like I am dying, that I am killing myself with food. I have read and read about gastric bands and feel so much that this is what will basically save my life.

But can I go to my doc and ask for this?? Whill he/she laugh at me or just say no?- I cant afford to go privately, and I have bad credit so I cant get finance. Its on my mind every day, and I am not feeling brave enough to go and talk to the doc due to fears of being rejected, which I know would really make it worse.

Can anyone tell me if they were referred to have NHS treatment by a doc in Derby? I would love to know how it went , then this may take away some of my worries.

Thankyou

Anna xxxxx

One thing my weight really does affect is my sleeping. I find i very difficult to have a restful sleep due to snoring- and my daytime sleepiness it ruining everything. Some days I can sit in the chair and doze off for most of the day- and still want sleep at night! I am sure this is due to my weight.

Hi Anna,

I suffered from Sleep Apnoea, which has been much reduced by my weight loss. Have you been tested for Sleep Apnoea? Talk to your GP about it, and try to get referred for a sleep study. You may want to listen to a BBC Radio Nottingham interview I did about Sleep Apneoa on my blog.

Sleep Apnoea is a serious condition and should be treated. It is found a lot in people that are overweight. You can wake up in the night hundreds of times and not realise it. Please see your doctor about it soon.

Thanks,

Was this a consideration for your surgery refferral?

Yes it was. If you download the referal form mentioned in my earlier post you will see a section regarding sleep apnoea. Even if it wasn't, it is a condition that needs attention. If you have it, it is a notifiable condition to the DVLA as, if left untreated, falling asleep while driving can kill, meaning that you should not drive.

I was told by Derby that they wouldn't give me a band until I had the sleep apnoea sorted out... luckily I was half way through doing that anyway.

Please please go to your Doctor for a referral for a gastric band... NO ONE will be laughing at you XXXXXXXXX

Hi people, thank goodness for finding this - you're all my heroes!

I was due to be banded at Derby last year bt then my daughter fell seriously ill, sadly she past away in June; so here I am back on the list. I had a phone call offering me a date for banding on the 3rd October, and I cant wait. I know nothing else works and this is my last chance, my joints hurt, I get breathless just walking across the road and I'm only 42 so bring on the band - I know it'll be hard, but its my only chance. Thankgoodness I've found you all!

I was due to be banded at Derby last year bt then my daughter fell seriously ill, sadly she past away in June; so here I am back on the list. I had a phone call offering me a date for banding on the 3rd October, and I cant wait. I know nothing else works and this is my last chance, my joints hurt, I get breathless just walking across the road and I'm only 42 so bring on the band - I know it'll be hard, but its my only chance. Thankgoodness I've found you all!

:thumbup: Aw bless your heart X

So sorry to hear about your daughter.

Good luck with your banding. I'm sure you'll find that the weight loss gives you relief from your aches and pains - it did for me - and that, given time and work from you, you'll enjoy a whole new quality of life.

Hi there, I was banded 5 years ago with 2 other people who became known as the Nottingham 3 (long story) but we were all diabetic and banding cured 2 of ours and substantially reduced the meds the 3rd patients immediately after surgery then even he was taken off all meds after a few months.

My hubby had the gastric bypass last June (2007) and has not taken any meds for his diabetes since the day of his op and his bloods have not been abnormal since whereas before he could not control them. He has lost all his weight (12 stones) in 8 months and is now awaiting plastic surgery for his loose skin.

I still have loads of weight to lose and am suffering with reflux....but I have a better life than I had before. If I had had the choice of the bypass at the time I'd have gone for the band....if you asked me now, I'd go for the bypass...this is just my opinion. The band is hard work as you still have to diet as you haven't got the benefit of malabsorption to help you lose the weight. If sustaining a diet was easy for me, I would never have neede the band. The band works great....it is me that has failed it.

161 lbs lost is not a failure luvvie XXXXXXXXXXX Hugs XXXXXXXXXX try not to compare yourself with your husbands weight loss, his WILL come off quicker than yours X

OK - now getting a bit jittery, banding set for Friday and am dreading them saying my livers not shrunk enough and they cant do it - can they tell whether its small enough before they put you under? Also, was anyone allowed home the same day or is it usual for an overnight stay? I've stuck to the recommended diet rigidly, apart fromt he lapse on Sunday night when I had 2 weightwatchers slices of carrot cake - will they have thrown all my efforts out the window? Def. getting nervous.

OK - now getting a bit jittery, banding set for Friday and am dreading them saying my livers not shrunk enough and they cant do it - can they tell whether its small enough before they put you under? Also, was anyone allowed home the same day or is it usual for an overnight stay? I've stuck to the recommended diet rigidly, apart fromt he lapse on Sunday night when I had 2 weightwatchers slices of carrot cake - will they have thrown all my efforts out the window? Def. getting nervous.

Ally,

Good luck for Friday, I'm sure everything will be OK for you. Because I had sleep apneoa, I had to stay in hospital for two nights for my first operation. I stayed in overnight for my second. I think Derby likes to keep you in at least overnight to monitor your post op progress. To be honest with you, I'd sooner have that than come home the same day.

You are about to start a wonderful journey and it's natural to be nervous - I certainly was. It's also exciting. Let us know how you get on and we'll be think of you on Friday.