Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Swimming Pool Alarms!

I know we have alot of readers that have swimming pools.

Does anyone know of a good ALARM that floats around in the pool and sounds off when something submerges (like a child)?

we have a "pool guard", and it works great! We have a small pool and the noise is ear piercing. We got it because our yard is not fenced (we live in a rural area) and we wanted to discourage "independent swimmers". So far, so good! I think we paid about $150 for it and we bought it on line.

I have a fence around my pool and I also have an audible alarm that when any window or door is opened in my house it lets me know which door or window.

I have a fence with gates that auto close and lock, takes two hands to open the lock and the gate, plus, like Michelle, I have beepers when ever a door in my house opens. It's been quite a concern this year since my 19 month old gson is mighty quick.

Oh yes, they just gave a good tip on the news, be sure to keep toys out of the pool when not in use.

Kim, thats what we are looking for. But we heard that it goes off even when a leaf falls in the Water..... is that true?

Thanks Michelle & Pat for responding. We're trying so hard to avoid fencing, but it may be the only solution for safty.

No, ours isn't that touchy--it did go off last summer when a chipmunk fell in, tho--he survived and it was a very exciting night around here! We have leaves fall in the pool and it doesn't bother the alarm--big bugs, (we live in Wisconsin-land of the giant insects!) sticks, etc don't bother it.

we "tested" it when we first got it--threw DS in--obviously it went off, tossed a brick in, it went off, just eased DS in and it went off, threw a spoon in (a big spoon) and it went off (DS was in charge of selecting items for the test)--tossed in floaties and it didn't go off., but a raft did set it off. I second the advice not to leave toys floating in the pool when no one is around....

We don't have a pool- but we have a large lake (7 acres) in our back yard! So with the four little children. I bought them each a turtle lock on wrist watch looking thing. It sets an alarm off if they get it under Water ( I tied it to my roof alarm) Great fun- when Colin learned to stick it in the toilet!!!!

I also have the alarms on our doors and windoes- but I freak out Anyways. (Believe me when we move- I 'll be replacing them with the GPS locator watches) If I could put a micro chip in them I would!!!! Eric thinks I am nuts- but he has never taken all four out on his own yet (he barely survives three at home for an hour while I sew or run to store)

he barely survives three at home for an hour while I sew or run to store)

strange how most of us women can relate!

Ive never seen or heard of these watchs. hmmm, wonder where I can find them?

Kim, I had to laugh at the choice of items that were thrown in the pool.... LOL!

But hey - at least you had an idea of what set the alarm off!

could you give me specifics on where you found it?

We don't have the alarm, but we have fence all around the back yard. We have a gate that has a lock on it and we put the lock up high so small children can't reach it. The thought of a small neighbor child falling in our pool when we aren't home scares me to death, so the high fence makes me feel a little safer.

I need to clarify this better... there is a wooden privacy fence around the backyard where the pool is located, but we are wanting some type of alarm for just the pool - incase one of the little ones gets away and falls in. Kids are so quick!

we got ours online--here is a site where they sell em--I can't remember the name of the site where we got ours....

www.poolcenter.com

I have seen those watches and wondered how you keep them on the kids--my son would undo that in a flash (I think)

Guest rritter18

Paula,

We live in Arizona and everyone has a pool, We have a safety net, We love it and have had it for about 6 years now.It was designed by a company out of Australia. It was much cheaper than a fence and safer than an alarm. It is very durable, my son drove his power wheels jeep across it when he was 3! I think they have a web site, I would just do a search for pool safety nets.

I just thought I would share the info as a fellow mommy!

Ryanne

Ours lock on- I got them from One step ahead (I think) I love the net idea (but we have a 7 acer lake. Big NET!!!!

I am going to get the GPS watches for the kids- I realize will only work if they leave them on- but it makes me feel better and what else would I do with the monitoring fee each month!