Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery in Mexico and coming home less 1 organ!

That story could not be true. You can't live without your pancrease. And honestly, that's not even the most unbelievable part of the story.

I was thinking the same thing about the Urban legend, but couldn't find anything to confirm on the net.

I need to speak up here. This is absolutely not true. Your freind has pulled your leg and basically made a fool of you. A viable pancreatectomy that preserves the life of the "donor" is a long and delicate surgery that could not be passed off as an adjustable gastric banding. Furthermore a surgery like this would require a 10 day plus stay in the ICU or a specialized surgical nursing unit. Beyond that no one could survive without artificially supplementing insulin and digestive enzymes that the pacreas produces. A person that had undergone such a procedure wouldn't all of a sudden feel ill a month later only to find themself without a pancreas.

I think it takes quite a while to harvest an organ, even a kidney. This is a ridiculous story, obviously urban myth. People like to look down their nose sometimes of people who go out of the country for whatever procedure they need because of cost. But based on the experience of my friend who had her lap-band done in Mexico it sounded wonderful and it's nice not to be completely raped by the state of the US healthcare system when you're self pay.

Any story beginning with, "i know someone who knows someone who said..." is usually urban legend. And after reading the medical reasons why this is not true, seems that's right.

wow what crap people come up with. not saying that you may not or may have heard this but you have definitely gotten played. not only can you not live without your pancreas but it is virtually impossible to harvest viable organs with laproscopic surgery.

An organ the SIZE OF A HAND cannot be REMOVED with a laproscopic surgery. Also, an organ that is being HARVESTED for someone else cannot be removed like that. Harvesting of an organ is a VERY delicate procedure... This is an urban legend my dear...

Sorry,

I am one of those that unless it is quoted by a scientific journal or I saw it with my own eyes, I don't believe it. Now, as an ER nurse and ICU nurse, I have seen some pretty wild things. But your friend's friend's friend's patient is...well, need I say more. Let's not try to scare people especially if we don't know that facts. What you are saying is not fact.

Yes, everyone should look into the doctor/surgeon/facility that they chose. Whether it be over seas, in Mexico, or here in the states. There are back alley surgeries everywhere.

It is irresponsible to perpetuate this falsehood. All it potentially does is inspire fear in those considering surgery in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Mexico</st1:place></st1:country-region>. I would hope and assume those that choose <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Mexico</st1:place></st1:country-region> make an informed choice.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

That being said I will again put your story to bed. Six years ago at a healthy age of 21 years old I had surgery to remove half of my pancreas. The surgery left me with a scar from under my breastbone to three inches below my navel. The surgery took nine hours and I was an inpatient on an intermediate surgical unit for 13 days. Beyond my personal experience I work on an inpatient surgical unit and have NEVER witnessed a pancreatectomy that was done laparoscopically. Furthermore as I had already metioned that a total pancreatectomy would require stringent insulin and digestive enzyme therapy for a lifetime in order for a person with a pancreas to survive.