Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Before you have surgery- read this-warning

I've read a few posts where someone was getting debanded because they couldn't take it. The complaints were general and about the loss of food.< /p>

Before you have the surgery you must know the quantity of food you eat will decrease. So for those food addicts, if you are not ready and willing to face that demon...don't get the surgery.

There are so many risks involved with surgery....that you know. But many go thru withdrawal from not stuffing their faces with food constantly like they did preband.

I can say this because I was one of them. When you use the lapband system, you will not be able to eat a whole pizza, a bag of chips, and a 2 liter soda. You may can have a bite or two, a few chips, and a few swallows of soda...but that even will come with time.

Halfway thru my weightloss, I thought I was going to die. I hurt everywhere. Pneumonia wouldn't leave me alone. My muscles hurt, I was fatigued and couldn't get out of bed due to weakness. Dizzy spells found me. Anger/hostility/...happens when I diet and it was horrible with the band.

I knew this in advance of my surgery. I made the decision to combat my obesity and use the most common sense tool out there...the band.

Now, this was just my experience and that of a few others. You will find others here who didn't go thru that.

You may be one of them...but just know it could happen. Have a game plan in place BEFORE you are banded. We spend so much time on pre and post op, things to buy, etc..... take some time to plan out your weightloss- how it affects you.... a plan of action for your family if you get fatigued, hostile, etc.

It was rough on my family...but hey...it's only temporary. All the years I suffered, and my family suffered due to my obesity....1 year is all it took...one year of hell. That's so worth a lifetime of a healthier lifestyle.

VegasGrace,

Are you saying that once you reached goal you weren't miserable anymore?

I haven't had much problem with that, except when I get a fill and have to be on liquids for 48 hours. liquid diet makes me a b!tch! LOL

I was just curious since you said your's was a year of hell.

Great post! It is TRUE... you will not be able to eat an entire pizza!

For Volume eaters its a HUGE learning curve, but doable. For emotional eaters, you will have to find another outlet, but doable.

For people looking for an easy way out........ IT'S NOT.....

YOU must work WITH your band.....very doable.

I love my band.... and I LOVE wearing size 10's!

VegasGrace,

Are you saying that once you reached goal you weren't miserable anymore?

I haven't had much problem with that, except when I get a fill and have to be on liquids for 48 hours. liquid diet makes me a b!tch! LOL

I was just curious since you said your's was a year of hell.

Yes, the hell did last a year and was during the weight loss phase. Once I stopped losing weight, the hell subsided.

I still work at maintaining, but it's sure nice being able to drink when eating. It's nice not having to diet, and it's so nice to have energy!

It's all very true. If you can't give up the amount you eat and what you eat, then the lapband is not for you.

This is one of the most helpful posts I've ever read.

Let me put my point out of veiw out there. This surgery, has given me the amazing ability to be FULL! I've never really felt full before. It's the most bizarre emotional feeling to feel full. To be satisfied. I'm only 1 month out but for the first time in my life I am FULL! And after a small portion of food. I assumed that I was not losing weight because I associate these feelings of fullness with the few times in my life I wasn't dieting meaning, I was eating everything in sight. I was stunned to find I had lost 20lbs since surgery!!

I have head hunger, sure, BUT I'M FULL! I feel so relieved, so 'not on the prowl' for my next meal. It can feel scarry (what do I do now?) but I really do feel satisfied.

You said it very well, 1 year out- almost to my goal and I still find myself taking large portions and dreaming of the days when I could eat a pizza!!! It definitely is a mind set, I still have the addicting mind of an obese person, thank God for the band to keep me in check!

I am so looking forward to the day I can say I've beat the obesity, but not my band.

I don't expect my band to do all the work. I expect it to be there to restrict while I train myself that the answer to my crave for satiety is not in extra servings or big sizes.

Dr. Johnson and I have a deal. I will control what I eat, he said the band will control how much. Four more weeks till first fill.

the beauty i've found with the band is you dont have to 'diet'. the band provides the Portion Control when properly restricted. Protein first then veggies then maybe carbs...

I agree, in fact my doctor stressed to me right after banding and letting me go home from my hospital stay… “NO DIETS”!! I laughed out loud even though it hurt and I promised him no diets.

Its so amazing we have a tool where when properly restricted we can eat small amounts and stay satiated until our next meal.

Thank You Lap Band!!

As others said, when you are properly restricted and eating healthy foods, you can lose weight. I have never experienced fatigue or any other "hell" as mentioned. I am able to eat small, healthy, well balanced meals. As a result, between that and exercise, I have never felt better in my life.

I am moving this out of introductions, as it is not an introduction.

I never went through hell. I doubt most people will. I think that some bandsters *do* have real trouble with the restrictions the band places on them, and have even more trouble with the exercise that they must do in order to lose weight on healthy food.

This is no warning.

I haven't experienced any kind of "hell" either and I'm coming up to my 2nd bandiversary in a few months. And, I even had a slight slip at one point, even that wasn't hell, inconvienient, yes, but hell, no. I've eaten normal food all the way through my journey and I've exercised my butt off, literally. I've gone without nothing in the way of food. I just eat smaller portions now. I have exercise to thank for being able to continue normal eating habits.