Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Strange reactions about surgery

I'm so glad i'm not alone in this. I've heard the "your not that overweight" comment so many times. Hello I'm 255lbs, how can you not see i'm overweight. My hubby is overweight too, he is struggling with me doing this without him. He thinks I will leave him. NO WAY! I married for life! Good luck to you. We will get through this together.

Maybe your husband will be encouraged by your experience with the band and want to have the surgery done one day. Seems like everytime I went to my surgeons office there were many couples going through their journeys together. Seems like one of them would get the band and the other would follow a few months later. What an experience to share together.

My fiance is more supportive than he was in the beginning , but him being a toothpick, will never know or truly understand how I feel.

Good luck to you and your hubby,

Stephanie

For the first time in my life I'm NOT opening my mouth and telling everyone my business! I'm very afraid of the reactions, and don't want to have to defend myself. I'm nervous enough without everyone elses opinion.

Good luck to you.

Molly

Yes I've heard them all and more! my husband has five sisters all in there mid forties and none of them are over 150 pounds! I told one of them I was getting the surgery and she said "Your not that big, it's just your stomach you have to lose" well I didn't know anyone that was over 100 pounds overweight just in their stomach alone. Then she says " That is such a lond string that has to be inside of you aren't you scared it's going to wrap arond your organs and cause problems" LMFAO I couldn't belive her. I told her you know I didn't think of that. duh.....

I've told family and co-workers, all of who are 100% supportive.

I made the decision to tell one friend, because she struggles with her weight too.

Her response? "I really hope you know what you're getting yourself into and have done the research. Every person I know who has had the surgery is miserable now or has had serious complications."

Like I would just wake up one day and make the decision to have my body cut open and a foreign object put inside! SHEESH!

Then, when I made the mistake of telling her I was drinking a Diet Dr. Pepper, she responded with "You know, you better enjoy them now, because after surgery, your stomach will blow up if you have one."

UGH!

I haven't told anyone else because of her reaction.

My worst reaction came from my sister... She has always been slimmer had the prettier hair and the perfect smile... This is from some one who had boob job and face lift... Her response was "How are you going to fill with that thing in you... " Hello boob job ...LOL... She said that she knows I love to eat and I should stick to weight watchers... I told her I could own weight watchers for all that I paid into it...

My sweet mother in law says since my sister has put on weight she is probably worried that I might be slimmer than her one day...LOL I love my mother in law....:blush:

Thanks for your support. It really helps. I know he will love it when I get really hot!!! Like I'm not all ready! LMAO!! Thanks again and good luck to you too.

The comments are so unthinking! Wow...:lol:

"Do you know what your getting into?" Ummmmmm actually no - hadn't looked into this at all... :blush:

"Are you sure it's safe?" Of course I'm not sure, honestly, I haven't done ANY research at all, just doing this on a whim DUMB AS*@!! :eek:

"She's gained it all back before, she will again" Oh yah - I think THIS was my favorite comment. My sister said it to my mother and mum told me. Now THAT'S the spirit and support I was looking for. :eek:

"Well if this makes it easier for you, why not!?" This one from my doctor's receptionist. Of course we ALL know it is going to be SUPER easy! All because it is a special sparkly magic band that eliminates everything we eat - c'mon you're a health professional..get a grip! :lol:

And as for the "You'd better enjoy that now, you aren't going to get any after you do this". You know what, you are right I won't, but I am going to feel SO much better replacing it with another choice and looking ever so sexy when I DO it!! :blink:

Yah - these comments seem to come from those folks who have never had to deal with obesity in the long run ever in their lives. They have no idea. And we have ALL done the work of losing (& gaining), losing (& gaining) and losing (& gaining) so many times, and spent so many thousands of dollars on gimmicks and tricks, I applaud us ALL for having the courage to find a better way to finally be healthy once and for all!

I love the comeback answer too "I am watching what I eat very carefully, exercising more than ever and OH YAH... I had surgery to help in my efforts" I'm gonna use THAT one for sure!!!

GREAT THREAD!!:eek:

I've heard the "your not that big" a million times. And my personal favorite was the hand on the shoulder followed by a serious look into my eyes and then I was asked "why would you do that to yourself"? Then came her horror stories b/c she knows 5 people and not one of them is any better for this horrific surgery, blah blah blah.

My favorite and it came from a fellow chubster... "I don't believe it surgery to fix a weight problem, but since you are dead set on it there is nothing I can do to change your mind." Um...well thank goodness cause I don't want my mind changed.

Surgery is okay if you have clogged arteries, if you have cancer, if you want big boobs and so on but not okay for someone who is MORBIDLY OBESE. These people I have decided are either jealous and or ignorant.

Guest Leslie2Lose

My favorite, from my mom - "Honey, you don't look that big"...maybe not, but it doesn't change the fact I was 260 pounds and morbidly obese. As long as I look okay - it doesn't matter I had a foot into an early grave.

The other was "Oh, no you didn't have that surgery. That's SO dangerous, I know...blah blah blah blah...and went on to tell me horror stories of 3rd person comments." Of course, my reluctant (though is trying to be supportive) mother is there and freaks out too. This comment came from a nurse who is married to a doctor and has three sons that are doctors as well. So much for "education". She actually had been approved for the surgery because she wanted it and her family talked her out of it.

"Well if this makes it easier for you, why not!?" This one from my doctor's receptionist. Of course we ALL know it is going to be SUPER easy! All because it is a special sparkly magic band that eliminates everything we eat - c'mon you're a health professional..get a grip! :)

Actually this comment is not so bad to me. After being banded almost six months, I can tell you that yes, really, it is easier. To not be hungry makes it easier. To be easily satisfied on very little is easier. Cutting unhealthy foods out of your diet does make it easier to discontinue eating them regularly (now they have really become the special occasion food). Of course there is work involved, but my band really helps to make food not the soul focus of my life.

The only one of my friends that was against it was (of course!) the skinny one.....I love the comments "you're gonna get it removed after you reach your goal, aren't you?"

I have decided not to tell my family for all of those reasons. I told one lady at church and she gave me the "your not that big" comment, however she has never had to get off a roller coaster because she didn't fit into the seat. My mom-in-law has been my big supporter outside of this site, and she has not said anything negetive to me at all. I also hate the one "have you tried going to the gym" everytime I go to the gym I end up gaining more weight than I loose. Everyone keeps telling me it is muscle, but at 250 pounds and walking 1 to 2 hours every day I should loose a little because you don't gain that much muscle walking in circles. Good luck everyone!

Hey there Heather! Thanks SO MUCH for that... I guess I'm just so on the defensive after all the other comments I never considered that my doc's receptionist only meant maybe this actually will be an easier way for me after all the struggles she's seen me go through with my weight. Of course I immediately went into the "easy way out" mode with her comment - fight or flight mode as it were. I know that the band will help my Portion Control issues and can't wait to actually feel FULL with a reasonable amount of HEALTHY food for once.

Thanks again - you are bang on sister!!

:)