Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mad at my doctor

Had an appointment on June 10th for a fill and my doctor would not give me one. My first and only fill was April 5th. Waited until July 10th and called the doctor's office and made another appointment for a fill. He had told me to wait 12 weeks from June 10th. When I went in he asked why I was there. I said that I had not lost any weight in the four weeks since he had seen me and I wanted a fill. First he gave me the speech on exercising, which I do and then he said he would give me a fill but I could tell he was mad at me. I told him I don't want to waste a month with no weight loss. After, he told me that he did not want to see me for three months! I was disappointed in his attitude. If excercise was all I needed to lose weight I would not have spent all this money for the LB. Am I wrong to feel this way? Aren't the fills a key to continued weight loss?:thumbup:

I think you have a valid point to be mad about not getting another fill. My doctor told me NOT to let a whole month go by if I was NOT FEELING RESTRICTION! He said it was OK to have a fill after two weeks if it was not enough. Of course one thing,, my Dr. is not super agressive,, we only do .5 cc at a time. Not sure if that is a factor or not.

I would find another fill center or doctor. Just my opinion.

I wish you luck with your journey!!

278/230/180

All situations are different. I'm three months out of surgery and haven't had fill at my doctor's request because of the rate at which I'm losing. I also don't go back to see him for 9 months and will be at my target weight much sooner. I can get a fill if I want one but he doesn't think I'll ever need more than .5cc in my band.

Patience is important for both parties in these situations. Trust your doctor within reason and you'll be fine.

Sorry you doctor is putting you through this. You may want to consider going to another MD for fills unless your fills are free with your current MD. My doctors rule is that you can have your first fill 4 weeks after surgery. Then, you can have each fill thereafter as long as in has been at least 1 month and you have not lost at least 5 pounds in that month. I never felt my fill that strong until after the 3rd fill. I was told on average that it takes 2-4 fills to get it just right. Doesn't your MD get it that if you could have just eaten less and exercised all on your own you would have done it a long time ago? Good luck!

My surgeon and my Fillcenter doctor both state the same thing - to remain effective your band needs to be adjusted for you. (Fillcenter USA has a "Lifestyle Guide" that provided a plethora of info about entire journey of life with the Lapband - especially about fills - and when adjustments are in order.)

Considering it is tool for you to assist with control - therefore, I am not understanding your doctor's resistance to using the tool. You have come too far for such an attitude - you are an adult and this is a lifestyle change - why wait to begin using the band?

Honestly, I would seek a new fill doctor - visiting your doctor should be an open session to discuss any of concerns or questions.

I wish you luck - my apologies you are going through this type of aftercare.

Good Luck,

Christina

Fist off congratulations on losing 54 lbs!!! thats awsome in 5 months. Does he think your losing too fast?

I agree that if exercise was all we needed we wouldnt have spent all this $$$ for surgery to "help" us.

Yeah that would piss me off too. We got the band to lose weight so if your not losing anymore, you need a fill. Three months!!! That's wrong!!! Is it a possibility you could go somewhere else?

That would really piss me off too. It's too bad we don't know before choosing a doctor that we should ask about their policy on fills. (I should speak for myself on that one, I guess). Fortunately, I haven't encountered that problem. In my first consult with him, my surgeon told me that if I go a week without losing any weight, I need to sit down and carefully evaluate what I'm eating and whether I'm following the bandster rules. And if I go a second week in a row without losing, he wants me to come in and talk to him or the nutritionist so they can help me figure out what the problem is. I was banded May 15th and I've had four fills, with another one scheduled for next week if I need it (and I probably will).

I know it's hard to change doctors at this point but if you have that option, I'd consider it. I expect my doctor to be on my side and work for me, not treat me like a misbehaving child!