Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone else start imagining reasons why the surgery might be canceled?

I hope I'm not the only one who does this.

First it was my blood pressure when I met with the surgeon. Got through that one ok.

Now I'm imagining all sorts of other reasons. For example, a few weeks ago I developed a pretty bad infection on my leg. I went through tons of antibiotics until it was healed and my doctor gave me the go-ahead with the surgery. My WBC was elevated a bit prior to the antibiotics (11.5) and it hasn't been tested since.

For some reason, I am now convinced that when they do my labs a few days before surgery, my WBC count will still be elevated and they'll cancel it! (I don't even know if that would be a reason for canceling it!) I also keep poking and prodding the area on my leg that was infected, convinced it's back!

Everyone tells me to stop worrying. I tend to do this when I'm really excited about something...I think of the absolute worse case scenario and then let it eat at me.

I know once I calm myself over the WBC thing, I'll move on to something else.

Does anyone else do this? How did you deal with your anxiety?

I really don't want to be worried for 23 more days! :thumbup:

Edited by CassCass

I was extremely anxious that my surgery would be cancelled -- mostly because I was banded on June 30th, and my insurance was changing over (because of workplace's decision to go with a new insurer) on July 1st!

I was really worried the surgeon might be sick that morning, or that -- even though I followed my per-surgery diet perfectly -- my liver would be too fatty and I wouldn't be able to have the surgery and would wake up unbanded.

I think worrying about a huge life change like this is almost inevitable.

That said, I'm two weeks out and everything was textbook and all my worries were unfounded.

Good luck surviving the next few weeks!

I was very worried. My original surgery date was May 21, but the week before I was to go in, I developed an abscessed tooth that had to be pulled and the infection completely gone before I could go through with the lap band surgery. I had the tooth removed on May 23, but couldn't get a new until July 9. I was in a complete panic up until the time I walked into the hospital. I was so afraid that something else would happen and I really wasn't sure if I would have been able to handle another wait. Luckily everything turned out okay and surgery went well :thumbup:

I have been beside myself for over a week now because my period is well over a week late. I am almost positive it is because of the stress of the surgery coming up on July 30th and starting Nursing school in September and the fact that being preggo now would be the absolute worst time ever. Considering that I have taken 2 tests and both came back negative, and I have a gyno appt on Friday where I will be tested again, I keep trying to tell myself that it is just the stress. But that is my scenario of why I'm convinced my surgery is going to be canceled.........:thumbup::o

I'm so sorry other people are going through or went through the same thing.

(But it does make me feel better knowing it's not just me!)

I feel the same way! If I get excited about something I have to think of all the bad things that could happen.

I just had my upper GI done and don't have the results yet. I'm afraid they will find something that will either postpone the surgery or make it so I can't have it at all! Same thing with the bloodwork I had done this morning.

You're definitely not the only one! Even tho I've lost 15 lbs. from my high last month, I think it's only about 7-8 since I had the consult, and I'm afraid they're going to say that's not enough (even tho I have another week and a half 'til surgery). And my surgeon works for a group that will no longer be a preferred provider as of August 1 ... and he's on vacation the last week of July ... and only does surgery on Thursdays ... and my surgery is the 24th (so far!).

So yeah, I know exactly what you're going through. I'm soooo impatient, I want to get this part over with so I can start living the rest of my life with the band!

It may be crazy but I keep thinking about "when I weigh 125 lbs I'll do XYZ ..." - mind you, that's just under 100 lbs from now, so I'm jumping the gun a bit. :embaressed_smile:

Our minds are are enough to make us crazy, aren't they?!

I kept thinking my giant liver would pop out and attack the surgeon and he'd cancel.:biggrin2:

I also had a nightmare the night before that I ate a sugar-free popsicle past the time allowed and the entire staff was screaming at me about having to come in for no surgery.

Yeah, I'd say the fears are pretty rampant but the vast majority of people are fine and all goes well so experience your fears with a grain of realism.