Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight gain with hormones

I have been advised due to bleeding that need to have the mirena (intrauterine levonorgestrel device inserted), or otherwise have a hysterectomy. I put on weight when i take the pill, get bad cellulite on my thighs. Has anyone got any feed back re weight gain - re mirena, also if you had a hysterectomy, many thanks.

I had a total hysterectomy because of endometriosis and I had previously had an ovary removed because of an ovarian tumor. I have never felt better, but I have gained weight since then (35 lbs in a year and a half...I have yet to be banded). Some people lose weight after a hysterectomy.

Edited by JWRN

I LOVE my Mirena. I got it for birth control, not bleeding problems, about two years ago, but I stopped having periods after about nine months and haven't had one since. It's fantastic. I know four other women with them and they all love them. It wasn't even painful to have it placed - more like, hmm, I don't think I'd much want to do that for fun, but it was OK. I would definitely give that a try before a hysterectomy! Much less invasive and can be done in ten minutes in your doc's office - not weeks and weeks of recovery from abdominal surgery. When this one "times out" in three years I will be getting another, and probably another until I don't need them anymore.

Edit: Oops, I forgot to mention weight gain - I had none; in fact I was losing like crazy but I also had just given birth when I got mine. Mirena's hormonal activity is very localized; it releases progesterone only in the area of your uterus, not throughout your whole body like when you take the pill. Also, the pill contains estrogen - Mirena does not. I'm not aware of weight gain being a side effect but I bet their website would tell you more.

Edited by afw

I have had mirena 2 different times, once after my first son and then wanted to have a second child so had it removed after year & a half. then again after the 2nd child. It's been about 1 1/2 years now and i don't have periods. I don't even know it is there. I didn't have a weight gain (other than not eating right) from it. Mine is good for five years and then you go in and get it replaced with another. It is great birth control, my doctor only recommends it to married people usually, because of the threat of disease and such from people not being safe. But if I were you, I would definately opt for Mirena over the latter of your choices. It is at

least worth a try. You will spot for almost 3 weeks or so at first but then your periods will get lighter and lighter untill they disappear. Good luck to you. Only you can make the right choice for you and your body but hope the above info helps.

Please be very careful and well advised as to why you are bleeding so heavily. It was suggested by my doctor to have the marena put in, I had a bad feeling about it and refused.. Following my gut instinct saved my life because I had adenomyosis, bleeding between the inner and outer lining of the uterus, the marena could have punctured it. I had a complete hyterectomy,, lost after, but gained 47 lbs from HRT.. Whatever you decided to do, make sure they have done extensive ultrasounds before you go forward. This may not be the case for you but better safe then sorry

Please be very careful and well advised as to why you are bleeding so heavily. It was suggested by my doctor to have the marena put in, I had a bad feeling about it and refused.. Following my gut instinct saved my life because I had adenomyosis, bleeding between the inner and outer lining of the uterus, the marena could have punctured it. I had a complete hyterectomy,, lost after, but gained 47 lbs from HRT.. Whatever you decided to do, make sure they have done extensive ultrasounds before you go forward. This may not be the case for you but better safe then sorry

Thank you for your response, yes they did extesive ultrasound, including internal ultra sound, fingers crossed having put in in the morning, but gyno said will keep monitoring.

I had the Merena placed this week. I suffer from heavy bleeding and low Iron. I had ultrasound and testing done prior. It only took 10 minutes and was not a big deal. I took an ibuprofin prior to my visit as instructed, also my Dr. used local anas. and I didn't feel much but a little bit of a period like cramp. I am spotting but not bad.

This thread is very helpful! Thank you-I look forward to (hopefully) having my period disappear!!! Even become normal or light would be a blessing for me.