Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spotting A Lot After Surgery?

I'm so glad they made a special forum for our girly issues!

So here's my problem: I have been on Depo-Provera for 6 years now, and the only time I would ever spot was maybe once a year for a day or two right before I was due to get my shot. However, since I was banded 1 month ago, I've been spotting on and off for the last 4 weeks. I did get my Depo shot about 2 weeks ago, but I've never spotted this long since I started using Depo. Anyone know why or been through this? I know it has to do with my surgery, but I can't figure out why it's happening and my doctor isn't very accessible to ask questions :confused_smile:

I have no idea as I do not have shots and havent been banded yet, hope someone answers soon.

I don't know the answer for sure and I'd definately suggest asking your doctor. However, I do suspect you're going thru a situation similar to mine. Body fat produces estrogen and when you lose body fat your estrogen level drops. This can correct itself over time but you may need some kind of temporary help. I had a hysterectomy about 8 years ago and was stable until I lost weight. Now I get hot flashes like a fiend. My doctor and I think it will stablize itself soon.

i have not been banded yet but i do know that if someone is irregular, even if it is due to bc, that once tehy start losing weight they become more regular. when I was on the depo shot I had a actual period once every 6-9 mths and boy was the cramps the worse, Now Im on the Mirena IUD cause the depo caused me to gain 100 lbs that the band if fixing to help me get off, but the iud I spot every so often. It could just be your body trying to get use to the idea of you being at a lower weight cause you have lost a good chunk of weight. But this is only my opinion and like i said i am not banded, i just know that people who are irregular which most time is due to weight tend to get regular once weightloss

I am on BC pills and have been forever. TOM of month was maybe 2 days with minimal period and not much cramping althought I was a little moody. Since getting my band, my TOM is 10 times worse lasting 4 or 5 days and if I forget to take my pill at night and take it in the morning, it is too late and it triggers a mid-cycle period with all of the associated unpleasantries . . . just to have the normal one at the end of the pill pack as well.

I have never been so sensitive to the pill and it feels like my teenage days again when I had cramping so bad all I wanted to do was lay in my bed and moan (which was one of the reasons I started taking the pill in the first place).

I really don't think it is the band at all, I think it is the rapid weight loss in a short period of time. I have lost quite a bit and they say hormones are stored in your fat. I must be getting a hefty dose with the hormones that are being released. I just hope that slowing weight loss and getting to goal will put me back to normal.