Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgeon requires me to follow a "liver shrink" diet for the two weeks preceeding surgery. Anyone else doing this?

I have the option of doing a low-carb diet for 2 weeks prior to the surgery, or a liquid diet 1 week prior, to shrink my liver.

I chose the low-carb!

I will be getting banded on Friday, July 25. I am required to do a 4 day liquid diet prior to the surgery. I am not looking forward to starting that diet on this coming Monday. But I am looking forward to being banded. Good luck to all of ya'll. YAY:thumbup:

same here, on low carb for 2 weeks...and i'm taking it really serious, after reading these post...people already given general anesthesia...only to wake up and find no band because liver was too big! OMG....so if doc says diet, then DIET....also from what i've learned see if they require you to lose any weight prior to surgery, thats been a problem too....after reading posts i emailed my doc's office today, she said my doc doesn't have a requirement for me, but i know plenty others from this board that do have a wL requirement...good luck

My doctor required a 30 day liver shrinking diet which included 3 meals a day,low fat, low calories, and no sodium. It also includes Clear Liquids only for three days before surgery. I will be having surgery this Wednesday July 16 and I've already lost 14 pounds. It's been tough especially this liquid part and I'm starving but I'll hang in there because I've only got 2 more days til I'm banded!!

Most surgeons require this because it will make it safer for surgery. It annoys me when people say oh I'm required to loose this for surgery - overall your not - the surgeon puts you on the diet to shrink your liver because the less fatty it is the safer the surgery will be and easier - he has to move your liver to get to your stomach thats why they require the preop and post op diet.

Yup, I'm only having to do my liver diet for 8 days, but I'm ready to eat the couch today on day 7! LOL. I'm on liquids and literally 3 low carb foods that I can chew on...I just wanna take a second to thank God for carrots...ok, I figure that day 9-SURGERY DAY-will prove to me that all of this is worth it. I'm just glad I didn't have to do it for two weeks. Good luck to you, you can do it.:tongue_smilie:

Just ending day two of "Optifast" liquid diet. Nothing but 5 shakes per day plus any other non carbonated diet liquid, Water, Jello, popcycle or broth for 2 weeks. Optifast keeps me satisfied for about 2 hours tops. I hear once you get past the 3rd day on a total liquid diet it's smoother sailing. Surgery is on 7-28 (Monday). Don't want my fat liver to pop up and scare my surgeon!!! :embaressed_smile:

I just finished day 3 of my Protein Shake diet. I drink 3 shakes a day made with skim milk and ice. Plus, I eat sugar free popsicles and Jello. I am also allowed a salad with only certain veggies and 0 calorie spritzer spray. I'm eating about 600 calories a day and tons of Protein. My doc wants me to lose 5% of my total body weight before surgery. That is 16 lbs. I've already lost 7 lbs in 2 days and will weigh myself in the morning. I've stopped running to the bathroom to pee so much. I can't say that I've been really hungry. I'm trying to listen to my stomach. I have dreamed about toasted wheat bread with tons of butter on it and a big ribeye steak from Claimjumpers. But I'm determined to do this. I hope you guys are right and after tomorrow, it gets easier. I'm expecting that time of the month in a couple weeks and I'm sure I will be wanting chocolate. That will be my true test. My surgery is in 1 month. I can't imagine how much I would lose in that time if I just continued eating like this!:frown:

I started the pre-op diet on 4th of July.

My surgeon required three weeks on Optifast (three shakes) and 225 cal worth of certain veggies. The length of the pre-op diet depends on the BMI. Mine is about 47. Patients with smaller BMI do just two weeks in his office.

The first three days have been horrible with headaches, tiredness and a "fluffy brain". I didn't feel like myself. I also missed coffee. Now I am actually doing okay. Do I miss food? Yes and no. Not really eating makes life a little easier, but I still have to cook for my family.

I don't know exactly how much I lost so far, since I forgot to step on my scale for a few days. I just hope the liver shrank enough so the surgeon can place the band safely and I have a shorter recovery time.

~Kat

That sounds pretty much like what I'm eating. 3 shakes a day (I like the nectar Protein mix), and certain veggies only with 0 calorie salad spritzer. I'm starting day 4 and I've had the headaches from caffeine withdrawal, most likely, and a feeling of head hunger. I have been feeling more energetic from the weight loss, but just a little out of it. At least more than usual. LOL!:blush:

Vegas, you might want to double check on using skim milk in your shakes.< /p>

My pre-op diet guidelines are 8g fat, 25 carbs and 70+g Protein a day, and a cup of skim milk has 12 carbs. I didn't think to check that until a couple of days into the diet, but I had to drop the milk for Water.< /p>

Read over your literature again or call your dietician/doctor to confirm.

Vegas, you might want to double check on using skim milk in your shakes.< p>My pre-op diet guidelines are 8g fat, 25 carbs and 70+g Protein a day, and a cup of skim milk has 12 carbs. I didn't think to check that until a couple of days into the diet, but I had to drop the milk for Water.< /p>

Read over your literature again or call your dietician/doctor to confirm.

Yes, thanks, I called him last night and told him exactly what I was eating and doing and he said the calorie count is good and the weight loss is good. I actually wasn't eating the salad and he said I could add that with a calorie free salad spritzer, so I'm excited to be chewing something. But I'm down almost 10 lbs in 3 days, so I'm psyched.

He had given me a more lenient diet last week with chicken and starches, but I was thinking I was going to have surgery in July, much sooner, and so he suggested the Protein Drinks for faster weight loss. Now, I'm having surgery on August 14th, and I'm liking the faster weight loss with the Protein Shakes, so I'm trying to stick to that...kind of so I can get used to the postop period also.

It's been fun! Thanks for your concern, TxShtKicker! Oh, by the way, I lived in San Antonio for 30 years, so I'm proud to have called myself a Texan once. LOL!