Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

shakes and protein questions

Ok I know that all I do is ask a lot of questions but this site is so awesome and all of you give great answers... So here is my questions

I am in search of what to buy for my post band diet.. I don't have to do a pre band diet but I think its time that I find what I will be able to tolerate taste wise. I love fruit and there was a site called Vitalady.com that has protien supplements, also when you are on the post diet can you mix "real fruit" in the shake as long as you can drink it through a straw.

Second give me ideas on what else is out there for the liquid diet...

Thanks for your help:lol:

I had to be on the liquid diet for 2 weeks prior to and 2 weeks after surgery. I've been using slimfast mainly because it tastes good and is easy to get (usually at grocery stores). They have a few different kinds so you don't get sick of them.

I wont be much help as I am pre op too...but I really needed to talk and I was wondering the same thing about the Vitalady suplements. I do not have a prediet either, so all I can do is wonder about the post op all liquids. My surgery is next week and I am just turning into a bundle of nerves

You pretty much hit the nail on the head with "anything through a straw". I used the heck out of my blender. I made fruit smoothies with lowfat milk or even plain fat free yogurt as a base, then added fresh fruit like blueberries, banana, kiwi, strawberry, rasberries, (lots of fruit is already frozen fresh at the grocery store) and added some Protein powder with ground up flax seeds too.

I also ate lots of Soups like Tomato, butternut squash .. the smooth kinds. Another thing if i needed some Protein was buy Soups with Beans in them and I put them right in my blender to get them smooth, then i heated it up. I kept drinkable yogurts in the fridge and lots of jello/fatfree pudding. I also ate popsicles.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

278/230/180

I drink the Instant Carnation chocolate - with No Sugar Added. I add it to one cup of skim/fat free milk and its 15 grams of Protein. I drink one for Breakfast, one as a snack, and one as dinner for a total of 45 grams of Protein a day. This way, I've gotten most of my protein. For the remaining protein, I eat cheese cubs, cottage cheese or Protein Bars.

My doctor has indicated we are not to drink from a straw because too much air is swallowed which results in gas. We were told not to mix fruit with out shakes until at least 6 weeks after the surgery......

Best of luck to you!

Same here. I was told no concentrated sweets, and nothing through a straw because of the air, also no carbonated beverages for the same reason. Suggestions for drinks: Atkins Advantage(ready to drink), EAS Advantage (powder- I blend with skim milk and a pkt of Splenda), Permalean (powder), and Worldwide Protein Shakes (ready to drink). Worldwide is sold at Trader Joe's (cheapest--comes in 21g for $1.69 and 35g for $2.29 each) and to me tastes better and has more Protein than Atkins. It is also sold at GNC and The Vitamin Shoppe (35s only, $2.99 at GNC and $2.79 at VS). For me liquids included yogurt, f/f Jello, f/f popsicles, broths, cream Soups (I melted Kraft fat free slices in Tomato Soup to make it creamy and have a sneaky way to get cheese while on liquids). I could also have skim milk, tea, coffee and fruit juice if diluted 50% with Water.< /p>

Hi, this is my first posting. My name is Kathleen and I had Lap Band Surgery on May 22nd after waiting many months for it. I have Tufts

Navigator insurance and they required me to complete a 6-month

"I Can Change" Program before they would pay for surgery. If anyone

out there has this insurance, don't get discouraged. My program ended

May 20th and my surgery was two days later with no problem. I feel

wonderful and have lost 37 lbs and had my first fill last week. I would

love to communicate with you.:cursing:

Right now I am full liquids until after I see the doctor on July 24. Basically I'm having carnation instant Breakfast drink (sugar free) and skim milk. I have a few other Protein Drinks that I can tolerate (I have yet to find something though that is good). Wish I could offer more advice in that department. I'm able to do creamed Soups as long as they are strained, same with broth-based soups. I"m so looking forward to the pureed phase.

Lots of great ideas but I noticed the mentioning of using a "straw" and thought I'd add a note on this subject. I have my pre-op dietitian paperwork and it clearly states that straws are a big no-no. I was unsure about this until I got my post-op diet info, but using a straw will create gas and it will be difficult to burp by bringing the gas up from the lower stomach, through the band and up through the pouch. Some people have no trouble using them, but if my Dr. says no then I'm going to follow his expert directions.

Lots of great ideas but I noticed the mentioning of using a "straw" and thought I'd add a note on this subject. I have my pre-op dietitian paperwork and it clearly states that straws are a big no-no. I was unsure about this until I got my post-op diet info, but using a straw will create gas and it will be difficult to burp by bringing the gas up from the lower stomach, through the band and up through the pouch. Some people have no trouble using them, but if my Dr. says no then I'm going to follow his expert directions.

I only used a straw for the thickness part. I understand that we are not suppose to drink through a straw... Something I will greatly miss.....

Hey - I am on the pre-op liquid diet and have to have the stupid Protein shakes. But I don't have to drink them after the surgery - isn't that weird?

Anyway, I am very picky about the flavors - my tolerance of this stuff is very low. So while I have had some success with Carnation Instant Breakfast and Slimfast (right now I blend it with ice to help it taste better and bulk it up) but I have also tried and really like this stuff called nectar. I got a sample package from Vitalady.com which has a one serving sample of every flavor in little ziploc bags. They have a real variety and you mix them with Water. As long as you mix really well to make sure it dissolves, then the flavor is pretty good. And I like that it isn't the same old choc, vanilla and strawberry. They have flavors like peach, orange, fruit punch, caribbean cooler (coconut type punch), iced tea, lemonade, fuzzy navel, etc. I have liked them - well, as much as I have liked any of them. I really hate the tasted of whey Protein, so I have started mixing them in the blender with ice and a single serving of Crystal Light that is compatible (like I used lemonade CL and mixed it with nectar lemonade) and it made it a lot better. The Nectar isn't super cheap (I paid 20 for the sampler pack and then 10 bucks for shipping!! and the big jugs are pricey too) BUT if you are really having a hard time with the other stuff, even just the sampler pack might be enough to really give you enough of a break to make it through.

Hope that helps!! :cursing:

Jill,

Check with your doctor about drinking through a straw...mine says that is a no-no because you get too much air. Same for chewing gum...you swallow air when you chew gum.

I am also supposed to avoid fruits with seed...like berries...for awhile after surgery, until I see what I tolerate.

And, Slim-fast...my doctor says no, unless it is Slim-fast Optima. Too much sugar for the Protein otherwise.

I am finding that extracts help with the taste of the shake. Like, vanilla powder, with orange extract, tastes a little like a Creamsicle. Add the extract to the liquid before you put the powder in, because I think it mixes better then. I'm going to do root beer with vanilla, and mint with chocolate.

But, your doctor may feel differently, so I'd see what he says.

Here is my list:

bariatriceating.com

1) Choco. "Lean Body" RTD (ready to drink) Has more carbs but is really filling and tastes like ice cream without the Protein after taste.

2) Costco: Premier Choco. 1 carb and mixed with coffee is my own starbucks.

3) Isopure:puke:OMG sooo gross, no carb. only tolerable mixed 1:6 parts crystal light..

4) Spiru-Tein® High Protein Energy Meal* dry packages : Cherry Jubilee awesome..chi Tea...awesome. Pretty much all these ones are good.

5) whey Bullets... same as #3

Some of my tricks are:

Buy tons of flavored sugar free syrups and make your own fruity and candy bar flavor drinks by adding, say a vanilla or choco. base .

Also get sugar free popcicles for the summer and add it to your fruity Protein Drink for some icey frappé pizazz.