Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's the Strangest Thing...

Since being banded, I have encountered some weird, wacky stuff. What about you guys? What's the weirdest new development for you?

I'll go first...yawning! It's so weird. I can't feel the band, I have no abdominal pain, I barely even remember it's there anymore unless it's mealtime. But every time I yawn it feels like someone kicked me in the side of my stomach. Ever tried to stop a yawn? It's impossible.

So strange...

hi Amisha, that might be your diaphragm - when you yawn it is used and maybe it is still upset from surgery - causing pain when you yawn. just a thought (i'm not a dr. or nurse tho)! BEFORE surgery, i would yawn and yawn and yawn - for years. i had a hiatal hernia right near my diaphragm. now i barely yawn at all! that's my weirdest thing..

My weirdest thing is I use to hate going outside. Now I am walking 4 miles a day. Seems like I can't get enough of it now. It's what I look foward to after work every day.

Weirdest for me? I bought a bike! I got my last bike when I was 13 or 14 yrs old. And haven't ridden one in 25+ yrs. I felt really rusty getting on last night for the first time, but just got home from my first practice run. rode about 20 min. I have some stamina and endurance to build up that's for sure. Think the gear shifter thingie a bob needs adjusting to as it clanks and clicks a lot when shifting. DH said he'd look at it tomorrow.

Burping alllll the time now.

I burped all the time before my surgery. I would try to say "Battlestar Galactica" or the names of people in the room. I was the champion burper. Now I have these little, delicate, petite flower burps that I have no idea are coming. I guess it's because I don't drink soft drinks anymore!

The weirdest thing that has happened so far is that if I have sort of a craving (which is nothing like the cravings I used to get) I want some cottage cheese! Cottage cheese? That would have been the last thing I would have reached for before my surgery.

What is up with this cottage cheese thing? I did not like cottage cheese at all before banding now I have it for Breakfast atleast 4 times a week. I spoke with a woman from my support group that was banded 3 weeks before me and she said she's eating the stuff now too. Its almost like some great conspiracy from the cottage cheese industry.:biggrin:

Awww Irish. That happened to me too. For a couple weeks after I would cry at the drop of a hat. Then I would laugh hysterically. Then I would cry again. Then I would alllllmooooost cry but then BOOM! more hysterical laughter. It was tough.

My bf thought they had given me a lobotomy. Fortunately, it did pass. I'm not sure what's behind it, other than a huge shock to the system for our bodies (and minds) to adjust to. But it gets better. Just hang in there and enjoy the ride as much as you can. It'll be worth it in the end.

I want meat meat meat. Turkey patty melts are my favorite right now.

Also I can no longer a Mexican restaurant we used to go to all the time. The tortillas I used to be able to unhale gross me out and the margaritas are just gross. Going to be tough because DH loves Pappasito's.

I second the burping. Before I would never burp and now I burp all the time. It is soooo annoying.

Oh and the other thing seeing people eat large amounts of food makes me feel sick. i used to be one of those people and now it makes me gag.

The burping thing is a new one for me. I have never burped so much in all my life.

I guess the other thing I find weird, is that I am not craving chocolate during my period. Before it was pretty bad.

Ariel, me too! I never noticed how my boyfriend inhaled his food before being banded. Okay, he doesn't actually inhale it, but it seems to me like he does, because I eat so slowly now. Same with when we go out. I look around the restaurant and literally lose what little appetite I had just watching people eat. I'm trying not pay any attention, but it's going to be tough.

Smarq, me neither. I didn't have any of the cravings I used to during menstruation.

this has been a strange event for me!

my chairs are suddenly feeling too low - my desk chair at work - my car seat in my car. i felt suddenly like i was sitting on the floor a couple of days ago! couldn't see out my car very well. felt sunken in front of my computer.

then i realized i had to raise up both chairs! i think because my butt and thighs have gotten smaller, all that extra padding is no longer propping me up in my chairs!!

how weird (and excellent!) is that??