Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long should I wait before returning to work?

Hi all - I'm getting my band on August 20th and am off work until the 25th. I have a desk job. Do you think that'll be long enough or should I be taking that Monday (the 25th) off as well?

Thanks!

SO EXCITED!!! :thumbs_down:

It is truly going to determine how you feel afterwards. I also have a desk job and I was able to stay out for 2 weeks. With everything you will be going through allow yourself time to heal. I did feel bette by week 2 but I'm glad I didn't have to go to work. I was able to concentrate on myself and get my self situated with my new life and eating. Good luck on your journey.

I would have and should have stayed out for the 2 weeks I planned on but my boss was being a real B****!!!! So I came back after ONE week.

I had a hard time coming out of anstesia, and I tell ya when they say you feel like a truck hit you, well that is hitting the nail on the head IN MY CASE anyway!

Good luck you will do fine getting past oh say the first 4 days you will forget the previous days even happen :thumbs_down: Good luck!!!!!!

I had mine on a Wednesday and went back on Monday, the amount of time was fine. Just go slow getting in & out of your car to be sure!

I found that after about four days the sharp pain I had getting up and down had passed. Every person is different. It probably wouldn't hurt to take off just one more day, just to make sure that you are feeling your best.

Hi all - I'm getting my band on August 20th and am off work until the 25th. I have a desk job. Do you think that'll be long enough or should I be taking that Monday (the 25th) off as well?

Thanks!

SO EXCITED!!! :thumbs_down:

I have a VERY active job (walking, stairs, bending) and I went back after 8 days. It was about right for me. After 4 days, I was no longer taking pain meds during the day - only at night.

Good luck

I was really sore for 7 days and then i felt completely normal. because of the port it hurts to get up and down and since you automatically protect that area with your back muscles, they get really sore. I felt like i had been hit in the back more than the front had anything done to it.

good luck :biggrin2:

I had my surgery on a Tuesday and went back to work the following Tuesday because I was lucky enough to have Memorial Day in there! LOL

I didn't make it through the whole 1st day and barely made it through the 2nd day. After that- every day got easier and when my weekend came, I just rested. I don't think my recovery would have been any better had I stayed home longer though.

It's the getting up and about that starts the healing process. A lot of it being mental too. The best thing to do is to listen to your doctor. They will tell you to walk every hour- do your breathing exercises and sip your drinks. Be prepared to be uncomfortable- take your pain killers.

Have a journal ready and write write write!

Luckily I have an understanding boss- she's been Great and now comes to the gym with me at lunch time! We've really become close for some odd reason! LOL

Let your boss know that even though you're coming back after a week, you may not be able to work the full day. You are having Major Surgery- it's not a botox injection ya know!!!

i had quite a while off as i was banded just before xmas and had holidays in there.

However i could have gone back after 10 days i guess. i had planned on going back after 6 but it didn't work out as i still had the little staples in my tummy and they were uncomfy ... once they were out though, i felt alot more comfortable.

Just see what happens, take it easy.

The other thing that can prevent an early return is of course ... liquids in ... liquids out. i haven't read all the posts to see if anyone has mentioned it ... but i know it was a problem for me. I never went too far from the bathroom!!

I planned for 2 weeks but needed 3 1/2 but I had other medical stuff going on. My friend planned 2 weeks but said she could've gone back after 1 1/2 but stayed home the full 2 weeks. Everyone's different but I would take as much time off as you can!! Lots of luck to you!!

I had surgery on Tuesday, 7/1 and was back at work on Monday, 7/7. I was still a bit sore, but not that bad. I take public transportation so I gave myself extra time and walked a bit slower than usual, but didn't have a problem. I think you will be fine.

WOW!!! I've been out of town and not had computer access since Thursday... coming back to all of your messages was just WONDERFUL! I was at a Country Music Festival (HUGE! 28,000 people... Toby Keith's ONLY Canadian stop!) and it was great. made sure I got in a few cold beer especially being that it will be off of the menu soon! :tongue_smilie: (I will miss it for sure) Oh well, I know that it will be worth it - totally worth it...

So thank you so very very much everyone for responding to my question. I will definitely just play it by ear and see how I feel. I think my boss is going to be fairly sympathetic to me. She's very supportive of the decision and hopefully will go a bit easy on me if I need to leave partway through the early days back.

Again - thanks a million and congratulations to ALL of you for your achievements! Looking at your "tickers" is true inspiration.

God Bless You!!

Stace :tt1: