Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Get-Up-And-Go has gone

When I first started this journey I could barely walk around our small block and was wiped at the end of the day. Now I easily can walk that and regularly shop for hours. I also do a cardio workout for about 20 minutes each day. Well, I'm getting a bit burned out on it and know I need to switch it up a bit. I do start a free 1 month gym membership at our old gym on Saturday. But I know we won't be able to keep that going since funds are very short since hubby is still out of work from brain tumor and no idea when, if ever, he will go back to work.

What do you guys do for your daily exercise? I just want ideas and I'm kinda curious about everyone's exercise capacity at the 4 month post-op point. Thanks.

I go to the gym 5 or 6 days a week - 60 minutes on treadmill and 20-30 minutes weight lifting. Treadmill does get monotonous, but I go at 5am and watch the news so it does go by pretty quickly (my gym has individual tv's on each peice of equipment). I was walking since the day after surgery. For variety, try other sports - I play tennis (great workout and can be done at any age) and softball. Both are a great way to break up the routine and I do each weekly, in addition (not lieu of) the gym. My wife enjoys long walks with friends - she says it makes it more enjoyable. Don't give up on the exercise - it is sooo important !

My husband and I joined our city gym, which isn't the best gym ever, but it has decent equipment and it was $35 for 6 months to join. I think most cities have a rec center that you can join for pretty cheap like this. I usually do bike or elliptical for 30-35 minutes and then weights every other day on top of the cardio. But, I haven't worked out in a week cuz I've been sick, and my body can tell the difference for sure. Have you thought about looking on craigslist for a bike or elliptical to buy. They usually have some for pretty cheap.

I haven't been doing anything on a regular basis. Yeah, I suck. My sister in law offered me her barely ridden bike so I'm hoping to get that this weekend and start riding. I'm also planning to get a treadmill in a couple of months when I have some extra money. I almost joined a gym but I had a really awful experience there on my first day and I just don't think I want to go there yet. Maybe eventually, I don't know. I'm very self-conscious. When I go to the local high school and walk their track, I can walk about 30 minutes now. When I first went, I was dying after 10 minutes. My PCP said I can expect the exercise thing to get much easier after I get under about 250, so I'm looking forward to that.

I hear ya girl, my get up and go, got up and went. Which irritates me to no end. I wanted this surgery sooo badly and worked so hard to make it happen and now can't get motivated.

Joined the gym, went for like two weeks, haven't been back:thumbdown:

Have a treadmill downstairs collecting dust:thumbdown:

Have the Nike+ sneakers and iPod (um at least I think I do, they're buried in my closet somewhere):(

Now I just went and bought a Wii Fit, and believe it or not I'm doing it:thumbup: It's not the most challenging workout on the planet, but it's fun and it gets me up and moving. Use it for about 45 minutes a day, keeps track of your weight and BMI and makes you create a goal.

Was just proof reading this post and it dawned on me..I'm really good at losing weight in one place....my freakin wallet:lol:

My workout schedule sometimes vaires by week, depending on how often I'm working overnights or 30 hr shifts.

But as a general rule:

Monday - 45 min cardio

Tues - 60 min mixed fitness class

Wed - 60 minutes swimming laps

Thurs - 90 minutes of Power Yoga

Friday - 60 minutes of eliptical and core weights

Sat/Sun - either hiking or biking, generally long 2-3 hrs.

Anna

I don't know who your cable provider is but ours has an exercise section in On Demand where you can choose from different exercise "videos" Some of them are pretty good. My daughter loves to do it with me so at least I am doing it better than someone :redface:

I don't know who your cable provider is but ours has an exercise section in On Demand where you can choose from different exercise "videos" Some of them are pretty good. My daughter loves to do it with me so at least I am doing it better than someone :thumbs_down:

We have Cox Cable and On Demand sounds really familiar. Is it pay-per-view or are these free? Very curious here. :biggrin2:

Check out your local community college and take some of their classes. I've taken tennis through them and it's a great workout and tons of fun (not that I ever got very good.) If funds are an issue they may be able to provide financial aid or an employer might.

There's also lots of ways to exercise and do good. I volunteer as a dog walker at the local humane shelter. Two - three hours of walking a variety of dogs is a great workout without feeling like one. If you don't have a shelter nearby how about looking for dogs in your neighborhood that don't get out much (elderly or lazy owners) and ask if you can walk them.

If your not an animal person what about forming a walking club in your neighborhood and getting others to help keep you motivated. (I'm big on walking because the one time I really lost weight in my life was in Europe when I was walking 10 miles a day and my body was so strong!)

Also, think about checking out Craig's List for an old playstation or one of those gamesets and getting "Dance Dance Dance Revolution." Lots of fun to dance to that. Or just pick ten 3-minute songs a day, lock your self in a private room and just dance! It's a great workout and if you can't dance (and I can't) just make sure no one sees you! (Regardless of what the song says.)

What is fun for you? There has to be a way to make that into exercise!

Some really great ideas guys - please keep em coming. I'm starting to look at things differently. I do love dancing and I want to learn to belly dance. Figure it will be good for the abs. Definately won't be doing anything outdoors until after October. It's 110+ here everyday and I don't think it drops below 90 even at night.

Hey Ezma! Girl you are looking great!! Haven't been on in a while and noticed the title of this..well you're not alone. I just finished commiserating with Lil Miss about our weight GAIN and loss and plateaus!!:cursing:I walk every day but now it's time to start with something a little more aggressive! I like the Wii idea..I've heard it's lots of fun from other folks here..but I have the old Richard Simmons tapes..dancin to the oldies!:angry: Believe it or not they are fun! :wink2: But I don't even do this in front of my DH!:blink: Don't think I will until I have more weight loss because I can see myself in the reflection and just have to laugh at how corny I am compared to the other guys and gals on the video!!:tt2:

I was looking for those old Richard Simmons ones but haven't found them at the secondhand bookstores or garage sales yet. I sure I will one day. They look like they'd be the perfect level for me. And definately something I'd hide away while doing.

Sorry to hear you guys are at one of those spots. Ewwwwww. I get the icky shivers just thinking about it. Hang in there though and it will pass. I'll be wishing it goes away for you soon.

Hey Ezma! Girl you are looking great!! Haven't been on in a while and noticed the title of this..well you're not alone. I just finished commiserating with Lil Miss about our weight GAIN and loss and plateaus!!:cursing:I walk every day but now it's time to start with something a little more aggressive! I like the Wii idea..I've heard it's lots of fun from other folks here..but I have the old Richard Simmons tapes..dancin to the oldies!:tt2: Believe it or not they are fun! :drool: But I don't even do this in front of my DH!:party: Don't think I will until I have more weight loss because I can see myself in the reflection and just have to laugh at how corny I am compared to the other guys and gals on the video!!:drool:

Queen of Hearts, you make me laugh with ya girlfriend! :drool: If I could see my reflection, I don't think I'd wanna be dancing either, lol. I LOVE to dance though . . . maybe I'll have to look for these tapes as well (I once had those Richard Simmons tapes too!). Great suggestions on this thread, I need to change around my exercise routine a bit too. Usually I use my treadmill, I listen to dance music with that, and it really gets my feet moving! Other than that, I just try and walk a lot . . . around the neighborhood, around the mall (I'll circle it a few times), I park far away when I'm shopping, etc. I just try and stay busy throughout the day. I also ride my bike when the weather cooperates. We have a big yard, and working in my gardens and doing yard work has really helped too . . . the weeds in my yard grow like an Amazon rain forest. Of course, with all the heat, humidity and rain we've been having, it IS an amazon rain forest here, lol. :tt1:

Anyway, changing up the exercise routine is a grand idea! I'm gonna try it, and I hope you find something that works for you too Ezma . . . let us know how your gym membership works out for you! I've been thinking of joining Curves, but haven't as yet . . . the Wii fit would be fun too, but I can't find one! Gotta keep looking. :tt1:

We went for the first gym visit yesterday. Met with the guy, did the weigh in and measurements, then did a bit of cardio. Two things happened that pleasantly surprised me. First off it took 8 minutes of walking at a moderate speed and a 5.5 incline to get my heart rate to 138. That is fantastic for me since I used to get to 140-150 in about a minute at 2.0 speed with 1.5 incline. Those cardio workouts I've been doing must be helping - well, that and losing 90 pounds. The next thing was when the guy was measuring me he said "Wow! You have a skinny person's legs." I know, kinda of backhanded compliment but he said it nicely. And since I have always felt really embarrassed in shorts it made my day. In fact, I had hubby take me to Trader Joes in my shorts on the way home. :party:

I also found two new workouts that I downloaded. One is a kick-boxing workout and the other is belly dancing. They both look real fun.

:wub:Hey Rhapsody:wub:Good to hear from you! I haven't been posting as religiously as I should either and it really is good to hear from you!! Yep, I can do the workout with Mr. Simmons but I dare not chance it in front of ANYONE else..Richard will keep his mouth shut and not laugh at me!!:drool: I checked today and I guess just changing up a little does help..2 pounds off after about almost 2 months of a plateau!!:tt1: I have a doc appt for a fill this week and I fear I won't be down as much as he'd like to see but that's just all part of it I guess! Sounds to me like you really are busy anyway!! Gardening isn't just looking at the flora and fauna, I KNOW!! Before I could hardly bend over to work the garden with all the extra poundage, but it's coming off and I can move so much better now! That helps with the exercise routines too and I also am having a hard time finding a Wii! Don't they know it's not just for kids and they should produce extras for the bandsters that would like to get up and workout?? :biggrin2: I too discussed going to curves with Lil Miss..they have one just down the road from me so that's another idea I am looking into! Doesn't Ezma look GREAT!! A new do and look at her smile!! Such a change in that butterfly huh?? From what I've been able to see on all the other threads the other February Bandsters are some very beautiful women and good looking men!! They inspire me to continue doing what I can!!:tt1: Glad to hear you're doing so well!! We're going to have to get another thread on here for the 6 month pics for the Victorious Valentines!:tt2: Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing once in a while!! Hugs to you!!:party: